TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 dealer mark up backlash

agree. the high redline and carbon fiber rims are a bit of a gimmick really. the car magazine journslists are guilty of this all the time as they cite performance (and specifically track metrics) as of paramount importance when few people use street cars for that purpose. who really cares about Nurburgring times when all you do is drive stoplight to stoplight or cruise the freeway? And $4,000 replacement cost for each rim on a $60k car is way out of proportion for what a typical owner can afford. i'd never drive it for fear of screwing them up. more importantly, ford racing offers turnkey race cars with a single part number if you're really serious about tracking a mustang.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

It is an exercise of patience. If you gotta have it than you gotta pay. Meanwhile, a quick search on Ebay turns up 52 GT500's for sale with under 10k on the odometer. 31 GT500's with under 5,000 miles and 7 with under 1000 miles. Just wait there will be plenty to go around and it turns out that most of the first owners do not drive them much. Low milage examples will be easily had for less than MSRP

It is an exercise of patience. If you gotta have it than you gotta pay. Meanwhile, a quick search on Ebay turns up 52 GT500's for sale with under 10k on the odometer. 31 GT500's with under 5,000 miles and 7 with under 1000 miles. Just wait there will be plenty to go around and it turns out that most of the first owners do not drive them much. Low milage examples will be easily had for less than MSRP

I have noticed this many times and wondered why?

I think the 13-14 GT500's are great wish I could buy one except Ford is lagging behind with the 'only manual transmission crap' as in my personal opinion I think the 5.8 GT500 engine is great maybe best engine they ever had! 662hp and gets over 20mpg no exotic sports car in the world can say that.

When Ford changed the nose on the Mustang in 2010 it was not good and in 2013 it got a freshened look and gave the Mustang a meaner look and the GT500 with updated appearance and 662hp is as good as it gets. Yes, the 5.8 cannot scream to 8,200 rpm's like the new GT350 but its a real shame to just toss the 5.8 engine away. Ford did the same thing to the 351C in early 70's before they could really explore the potential from the 351 Cleveland and just like the 351C imagine if Ford kept improving the 5.8 like they're doing to the Coyote and 5.2 Voodoo

Why all these GT500 owners selling is crazy because if I had a 13-14 GT500 it would be a keeper as long as I am alive

Very valid points. Many people who bought the 13-14 put them in the garage thinking investment, or this car will be...whatever. A year goes by and they spent $60,000 on a car they drove less than 1000 miles per year. Reality sets in and the realization that they are making payments on an expensive car that they don't drive and try to cut their losses.

The realization that buying a car is not an investment slaps them in the face. That is when you will have the opportunity to buy a GT350. Next year, there will be a few on the used market for around where the MSRP originally was set. The year after, you will be able to find them for around $40,000. The 2013 GT500 markup was just as rediculous. I couldn't find a 2013 for less money Than a $10,000 mark up. I ordered the 2014 for MSRP.

The key is patience.

Pete

Edited by Pete Grimaldi

Bad form? Did I write the article?

Since Secondo believes a "Shelby Rep" can not have an opinion I guess I'll take a break from posting.

Thanks Secondo, without you I wouldn't have known how offensive my posts were. Lesson learned.

And folks wonder why there's very little presence from SAI on the forums.

Steve

You should put him on "ignore" I had to do that long ago, makes life much more enjoyable not to read his rants bashing SAI and the cars they make.

Edited by mikeljgt500kr

You should put him on "ignore" I had to do that long ago, makes life much more enjoyable not to read his rants bashing SAI and the cars they make.

Don't lie, Mike, I never "bashed" SAI or their cars. You continuously bash Ford, though, and I call you out on it.

Welcome back to ADM discussions! :hysterical:

You got it. As long as the avaricious retailers persist in their attempts at price gouging the internet forums will have volumes of ADM discussions. Some of them actually contain enlightening perspectives and others are just nonsense form guys who have already bent over.

Ya gotta love the guys who drop the "supply and demand" bomb, really? Who here doesn't get "supply and demand"?

This is why you don't see any 2015 Z?28s on the street. Not only did they sell all of them, but most were sold at least $25,000 over MSRP . $100,000 for a dealer invoiced car around $68,000. Those owners don't want to put a scratch on their cars because the value may go down. The same will happen with the GT350 as it happened for some with the 2013 GT500s. They paid way too much, and don't even drive the cars. Some GT500 owners have about 300-400 miles on their cars. I think that I put that many miles on mine the first two days that I owned it. The ADM is just greed, not supply and demand. Yeah, the price goes up, but it's almost as hard to get a GT350 right now as it is to get tickets at Fenway Park!

Pete

As long as there are the "got to have it now" buyers out there, the dealers will take advantage of them. Some will camp out for days in advance to see "Star Wars" even though it will around for hundreds of showings for months later. If you are one those that has to be the first on the block or at cruise night for a special toy, you will keep feeding the frenzy pricing. I know of one doctor that bought 2006 Ford GT at $100,000 over MSRP. I was in the showroom when it happened. Lucky for him that the values have zoomed up. But another buyer waited for the next delivery that sat for a few months and got it for MSRP.

You got it. As long as the avaricious retailers persist in their attempts at price gouging the internet forums will have volumes of ADM discussions. Some of them actually contain enlightening perspectives and others are just nonsense form guys who have already bent over.

Ya gotta love the guys who drop the "supply and demand" bomb, really? Who here doesn't get "supply and demand"?

Apparently, a few here don't get it.

Some actually blame Ford. Why? Because they made such a great car?? They "control" the market?? ADM's exist because there are people willing to pay it. Everyone can take advantage of it. Even the Red Sox, like Pete said. The dealers won't miss out on their chance to cash in. Everyone wants one and there's not enough for all of us- yet.

This is why you don't see any 2015 Z?28s on the street. Not only did they sell all of them, but most were sold at least $25,000 over MSRP . $100,000 for a dealer invoiced car around $68,000. Those owners don't want to put a scratch on their cars because the value may go down. The same will happen with the GT350 as it happened for some with the 2013 GT500s. They paid way too much, and don't even drive the cars. Some GT500 owners have about 300-400 miles on their cars. I think that I put that many miles on mine the first two days that I owned it. The ADM is just greed, not supply and demand. Yeah, the price goes up, but it's almost as hard to get a GT350 right now as it is to get tickets at Fenway Park!

Pete

You obviously did not follow the Z28 sales, after very few ADM's they couldn't give them away, in the end they were going for $20K or more UNDER MSRP, not over.

I do agree about the greed, it usually backfires, folks move on to other cars. Dealers then order cars thinking they have a trunk full of gold bars in them only to find out the short window of, what I would consider foolish, individuals that will pay an ADM is long gone before the car makes it to the dealership. The Z28 is a good example of that, so is the 12/13 Boss, the C7 when it first came out, and the current Z06.

This will all pass, its just a matter of time.

Edited by carnut12

Very valid points. Many people who bought the 13-14 put them in the garage thinking investment, or this car will be...whatever. A year goes by and they spent $60,000 on a car they drove less than 1000 miles per year. Reality sets in and the realization that they are making payments on an expensive car that they don't drive and try to cut their losses.

The realization that buying a car is not an investment slaps them in the face. That is when you will have the opportunity to buy a GT350. Next year, there will be a few on the used market for around where the MSRP originally was set. The year after, you will be able to find them for around $40,000. The 2013 GT500 markup was just as rediculous. I couldn't find a 2013 for less money Than a $10,000 mark up. I ordered the 2014 for MSRP.

The key is patience.

Pete

Sticker price for a GT350, used, in a year? Welcome to three months ago. Sticker at that point if you are not a sucker.

As for the Z28, $25,000 over? Wrong again fender head. They are practically giving them away. That was a serious crash and burn.

You seem to be pretty clueless.

if you go back to the the 1770s, you see men that hated each other more than any feud seen since in this country, and yet somehow, personal attacks were off limits and the objective was never lost in the argument. We are talking about men who stood and shot bullets at each other. Literally.

We have a long history for this forum, and many of us are now 10 year members, or close to it. I'm a member of Ford Raptor Forum that is full of the most Alpha personalities out there, and somehow you don't see a lot of what we see here. I just don't understand why we can't keep it about the subject at hand, and let your position make the argument. Persuasive dialogue is becoming a lost art, as is respect for an opposing view. We see it in our politics these days, and in every facet of our lives. It's a shame, really.

I get both sides of this issue. Dealers are in the business of selling cars, and if they have just a couple they CAN sell for a premium, most won't pass the opportunity. A few do, but most won't. I was at Barrett Jackson and ran into a well known dealer that has sold 5 Rs for 70k over sticker. They are buying other dealers allocations for 40k over because they have a line of people waiting to do the same. It's pretty amazing. This car in particular is under priced, which is part of the reason, under produced, which is the other. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Mark Schaller, Director of Mustang for Ford, did confirm to me this weekend that this will not be a close ended run, and that 2017 will happen and they will continue to build to meet demand of the market. So, yes, if you wait, you will get your build for a reasonable price, and even better, as with all other long run builds they have done, they make changes every year or two and the new ones are even better. So it's likely you're gonna be able to get a 2018 or 2019 gt350r that is gonna be better than the 2016, for a much better price.

There is also another high HP mustang on the horizon, and while I heard it referred to as the new GT500, it hasn't been decided that it will be called that. Didn't get any other details on it though. Just good info for guys like Mike who want Ford to go back to that straight line monster. They also are working to make sure the base GT ups it's game to compete with the new Camaro. I was very happy to hear that.

Can we throttle back on the comments about how somebody who has an opposing view doesn't know what they're talking about though? Let's be gentlemen here and be respectful. It doesn't cost you anything to be nice to each other. Don't get sucked into the troll role. It's never a winning strategy.

if you go back to the the 1770s, you see men that hated each other more than any feud seen since in this country, and yet somehow, personal attacks were off limits and the objective was never lost in the argument. We are talking about men who stood and shot bullets at each other. Literally.

We have a long history for this forum, and many of us are now 10 year members, or close to it. I'm a member of Ford Raptor Forum that is full of the most Alpha personalities out there, and somehow you don't see a lot of what we see here. I just don't understand why we can't keep it about the subject at hand, and let your position make the argument. Persuasive dialogue is becoming a lost art, as is respect for an opposing view. We see it in our politics these days, and in every facet of our lives. It's a shame, really.

I get both sides of this issue. Dealers are in the business of selling cars, and if they have just a couple they CAN sell for a premium, most won't pass the opportunity. A few do, but most won't. I was at Barrett Jackson and ran into a well known dealer that has sold 5 Rs for 70k over sticker. They are buying other dealers allocations for 40k over because they have a line of people waiting to do the same. It's pretty amazing. This car in particular is under priced, which is part of the reason, under produced, which is the other. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Mark Schaller, Director of Mustang for Ford, did confirm to me this weekend that this will not be a close ended run, and that 2017 will happen and they will continue to build to meet demand of the market. So, yes, if you wait, you will get your build for a reasonable price, and even better, as with all other long run builds they have done, they make changes every year or two and the new ones are even better. So it's likely you're gonna be able to get a 2018 or 2019 gt350r that is gonna be better than the 2016, for a much better price.

There is also another high HP mustang on the horizon, and while I heard it referred to as the new GT500, it hasn't been decided that it will be called that. Didn't get any other details on it though. Just good info for guys like Mike who want Ford to go back to that straight line monster. They also are working to make sure the base GT ups it's game to compete with the new Camaro. I was very happy to hear that.

Can we throttle back on the comments about how somebody who has an opposing view doesn't know what they're talking about though? Let's be gentlemen here and be respectful. It doesn't cost you anything to be nice to each other. Don't get sucked into the troll role. It's never a winning strategy.

Well said .

+1 and thank you.

Mark

Looks like this forum has eroded down to about a dozen guys who post on a regular basis. There are about six of them who feel it is their duty to scold anyone new who might see things differently than they do. Guys mix it up on internet forums at least on the viable ones.

Looks like this forum has eroded down to about a dozen guys who post on a regular basis. There are about six of them who feel it is their duty to scold anyone new who might see things differently than they do. Guys mix it up on internet forums at least on the viable ones.

Well Said

I dont care if you voice your opinion, as long as you arent throwing a backhanded insult. -and while this isnt directed at you personally, that has been an ongoing issue here, which is why you might be sensing a hyper sensitivity to it here.

Ive been around a lot of forums myself, and the troll level is a little higher here. But Ive been on long enough that I can tell obvious trollers pretty easily, and I have a pretty uncanny ability to sniff out those that have been banned and simply log in with a new name and attempt to resume their shenanigans as well.

You know what Im sayin here. Just sayin. So, just be respectful, and voice any opinion you want. I really dont care what anyone thinks but my wife, and even that is a take-it or leave-it attitude for me.

Compared to Corvette Forums we are Saints, but I agree it is worse then it used to be, we don't have the maturity of a forum such as Rennlist, that is for sure.

With that said I have been a member of many forums and I still feel this is one of the top Run forums of its size and no other puts together a Member package like this one. Hats off to the folks behind the scenes and the moderators that do what they can to keep it this way!!!!

Guest markham51

:worm: Forums are places where people "shoot the s%^t" all day about topics they find interesting or amusing.

I have learned not to take any of it too seriously, life is too short. When a post gets nasty or repetitive I just ignore the thread and let the combatants go at it :slapfight:

:worm: Forums are places where people "shoot the s%^t" all day about topics they find interesting or amusing.

I have learned not to take any of it too seriously, life is too short. When a post gets nasty or repetitive I just ignore the thread and let the combatants go at it :slapfight:

Yep.... I read a lot of the threads and don't post anything.... sometimes it's fun just sitting back waiting for the next insult to get hurled, and to see if I picked the correct "hurler"!