TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger booster Gauge

Well guys here it is. I went to the Mustang Roundup in Steamboat Springs CO. with my Mustang Club. It took 929 miles one way to get there when coming back I notice my booster gauge was not working it would get stock around 10 pounds of boost. At around 80 miles an hour I notice the boost showing 10 pounds then dropping to 4 pounds. When I came to a complete stop it would show the same thing. It was acting crazy down then up there was something wrong. Today I took it to my Ford dealer and here's what they found. I need a NEW CLUSTER and SOLENOID that attaches to the supercharger and here is the catch I might need a NEW SUPERCHARGER why, because the SOLENOID is attached to the SUPERCHARGER and they don't know if they can get the SOLENOID by itself boy does that S :censored: They will call me and let me know what the verdict is. One thing for sure that they told me and these guys are personal friends of mine good thing I did not change my PULLEY! I do have a JLT CAI/ w SCT tune and 3:73 gears and that was no problem. I will let you guys know what they tell me.

Joe

Well guys here it is. I went to the Mustang Roundup in Steamboat Springs CO. with my Mustang Club. It took 929 miles one way to get there when coming back I notice my booster gauge was not working it would get stock around 10 pounds of boost. At around 80 miles an hour I notice the boost showing 10 pounds then dropping to 4 pounds. When I came to a complete stop it would show the same thing. It was acting crazy down then up there was something wrong. Today I took it to my Ford dealer and here's what they found. I need a NEW CLUSTER and SOLENOID that attaches to the supercharger and here is the catch I might need a NEW SUPERCHARGER why, because the SOLENOID is attached to the SUPERCHARGER and they don't know if they can get the SOLENOID by itself boy does that S :censored: They will call me and let me know what the verdict is. One thing for sure that they told me and these guys are personal friends of mine good thing I did not change my PULLEY! I do have a JLT CAI/ w SCT tune and 3:73 gears and that was no problem. I will let you guys know what they tell me.

Joe

I'm very interested in your experience. I'm wanting to do the jlt/with an evo tune, but was also thinking about a pulley.

Make sure you post all the details and their comments relating to the mods.

Thanks,

JF

Joe

Joe,

When the boost drops to 4lbs, are you at wide open throttle? You know, these cars have a pressure bypass valve that does not allow constant boost to be delivered to the engine. As the car revs higher the boost will gradually decrease; there's ways to keep it constant, but that's another story. Now, if the boost SUDDENLY drops from 10 to 4 lbs., then there probably is something else at play. Also, are you sure that the belt isn't slipping. In this case you WOULD see a sudden drop in boost. Your CAI may have given you just enough power to break the friction between the belt and the pulley. Usually, a Metco idler allows the belt to wrap more completely around the blower pulley preventing boost dropoff. Just a thought - I never trust the dealership regardless of how nice they are.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

Joe,

When the boost drops to 4lbs, are you at wide open throttle? You know, these cars have a pressure bypass valve that does not allow constant boost to be delivered to the engine. As the car revs higher the boost will gradually decrease; there's ways to keep it constant, but that's another story. Now, if the boost SUDDENLY drops from 10 to 4 lbs., then there probably is something else at play. Also, are you sure that the belt isn't slipping. In this case you WOULD see a sudden drop in boost. Your CAI may have given you just enough power to break the friction between the belt and the pulley. Usually, a Metco idler allows the belt to wrap more completely around the blower pulley preventing boost dropoff. Just a thought - I never trust the dealership regardless of how nice they are.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

Joseph, the pulley is STOCK! All I can say is the BOOST GAUGE is SHOT and the people I deal with I do trust because I talk to all that are involved and most are my friends and club members. This dealership is our sponser for our club "Southern Arizona Mustang Club" and has been since 1964. I did have an 03 Cobra that I bought new and I know what the boost gauge is suppose to do and had that car for over 40,000 miles with NO problems with the boost gauge.

Joe

I'm very interested in your experience. I'm wanting to do the jlt/with an evo tune, but was also thinking about a pulley.

Make sure you post all the details and their comments relating to the mods.

Thanks,

JF

JF, I see no problems with the JLT and evo tune, however I would strongly recommend you stay away from the pulley change for now and wait for the warranty to expire ;)

Joe

I run zero boost all the time unless I'm getting on the gas so I'm confused as to why you'd been running 10 pounds while cruising at 80mph. If I'm cruising, I'm at 0, when I lay on the gas it jumps to about 10.

+1

:shrug:

Did it feel like it had 10 psi?

Did you lose fuel mileage on the trip or did it get better?

WOW, you guys are something else! THE BOOST GAUGE IS NO GOOD PERIOD!!!!!!!!!! They need to replace the CLUSTER and SOLENOID that attaches to the supercharger or maybe a NEW SUPERCHARGER if they cannot get the solenoid by itself. I will let you guys know when I get the word.

Joe

WOW, you guys are something else! THE BOOST GAUGE IS NO GOOD PERIOD!!!!!!!!!! They need to replace the CLUSTER and SOLENOID that attaches to the supercharger or maybe a NEW SUPERCHARGER if they cannot get the solenoid by itself. I will let you guys know when I get the word.

Joe

Go with your first instinct.

Joe

Take a chill pill!

I was just asking a serious question to see what things correlated to the problem or what other affects were noticed.

guess I'm done with this thread, good luck getting your car fixed

Archived