TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cluch Engagement

I have a 2003 Cobra (see sig) and I like how the clutch engages in it. Even from the factory is was pretty good, but I've since added a ProMotion firewall adjuster & quadrant so I can fine tune clutch engagement. Further, the pedal effort is pretty high, so I can actually "feel" the clutch begin to engage. I can perform the clutch/throttle dance very well so all take-offs are butter smooth. Everything seems "natural" to me.

Our SGT is another story. It seems to begin engaging only after moving about 1/3 to 1/2 through the stroke of the pedal. Further, the pedal effort is light as a feather. This makes "feeling" the engagement very difficult. I end up over-revving the take-off or bogging it. I feel (look) like a novice driving this thing. It feels totally "unnatural" to me and it affects my enjoyment of the car.

Is everyone experiencing the same thing?

Has anyone put an aftermarket firewall adjuster & quadrant on their SGT?

It seems to me that about half my take offs make me look like a novice. Same as you- I either over rev or bog. My first car, way back in '74 was a manual, and I've driven manuals all my driving life. This car is a hard to get right all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I have a 2003 Cobra (see sig) and I like how the clutch engages in it. Even from the factory is was pretty good, but I've since added a ProMotion firewall adjuster & quadrant so I can fine tune clutch engagement. Further, the pedal effort is pretty high, so I can actually "feel" the clutch begin to engage. I can perform the clutch/throttle dance very well so all take-offs are butter smooth. Everything seems "natural" to me.

Our SGT is another story. It seems to begin engaging only after moving about 1/3 to 1/2 through the stroke of the pedal. Further, the pedal effort is light as a feather. This makes "feeling" the engagement very difficult. I end up over-revving the take-off or bogging it. I feel (look) like a novice driving this thing. It feels totally "unnatural" to me and it affects my enjoyment of the car.

Is everyone experiencing the same thing?

Has anyone put an aftermarket firewall adjuster & quadrant on their SGT?

I have this problem too, never been one before.

That is one bad a$$ looking terminator! :drool:

As for your SGT, I believe that all the S197 cars use electronic throttle controls, no cables to adjust. The GT500 has a lag also so I end up stalling it several times a week. My trick is to bump the throttle to about 1000 rpm before releasing the clutch. I have read that some tuners are able to make the throttle a little more responsive.

Well, I feel a little better finding out that some other owners stall their cars once in a while. I do think it is the electronic throttle thing. I have several manual transmission vehicles and have never had a problem getting a “feel” for a car in first gear in the past either. I just figure that I need to concentrate when taking off in this car. The clutch is very soft and assume cannot be adjusted.

I never have any problem starting out, but I don't find this clutch pedal action to be "light". It's one of the heavier that I've driven. By comparison, I consider a Honda clutch to be "light". Maybe the clutch action varies by car a little bit. I have owned nothing but manual trans cars since 1974.

Frankly, when I first got into the car and pushed in the clutch I was surprised about the lack of effort to depress it. I was expecting a much heavier clutch feel. Perhaps that is because of the pickups I have owned with manuals. And I have to admit that this Ford guy also owns a 1965 Chevelle with a 4-speed. I think it is the combination of the soft clutch and the very light throttle response that causes me to slightly over rev the car when taking off in first gear if I am not careful. But, there is a fine line between killing the engine and slipping the clutch in my car. I agree with ShelbyPilot – it usually when you are trying to be inconspicuous (difficult with this car) is when I kill it and that is rather embarrassing and I feel like an idiot (I can always feel them smirking at me). However, I still love driving this car. She is just a little persnickety about how I treat her in first gear.

Not a slam,That just seems strange as I find the clutch in the Shelby/Mustang GT one of the easiest I have ever driven.I had an 07 C6 Vette,Now that car had a funky clutch take up!

HEY MAYBE YOU CAN GIVE US LESSON'S I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM TILL I GOT THIS SHELBY WIFE SAYS I NEED A AUTOMATIC LOL

HEY MAYBE YOU CAN GIVE US LESSON'S I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM TILL I GOT THIS SHELBY WIFE SAYS I NEED A AUTOMATIC LOL

I got a lot of that in the Vette,Which just provoked me to pin her back in the seat and ask if that was better! :hysterical2:

Archived