TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Post and Introduction

Greetings!

Having just purchased my first Shelby, a 2009 GT-500KR, joining this group was a must.

A bit about me; in 1980 or so a friend offered me his '68 GT-500KR, dark green, for $5000. My '69 Z-28 was worth about half of that and I just couldn't afford it. It broke my heart as I just loved everything about that car!! Around those times I owned a couple other muscle cars; '72 Trans Am and a '69 SS Camaro.

Jump forward and although I kept dreaming of owning another muscle car over the years it just never happened. Until this past week when a neighbor of a close friend said he was selling his '09 Shelby. I just had to pull the trigger!! (Much to the delight of my 13 year old daughter I might add!)

To say that I am amazed with this car is an understatement. I haven't felt this kind of horsepower in many many years! To me it surpasses the Shelbys of old; you have all the creature comforts and reliability of a modern-day car with tremendous handling characteristics and more than ample horsepower. Just driving slowly through my neighborhood is wonderful. The looks from neighbors is amusing. The car sounds like a dump truck as the 540 ponies rumble and reverberate between the homes! And then of course, taking it onto the highway I usually get some "thumbs ups" from passerby's! Priceless.

Anyway, that's my story. I look forward to learning more about this treasure and getting to know you all.

Thanks,

Greetings!

Having just purchased my first Shelby, a 2009 GT-500KR, joining this group was a must.

A bit about me; in 1980 or so a friend offered me his '68 GT-500KR, dark green, for $5000. My '69 Z-28 was worth about half of that and I just couldn't afford it. It broke my heart as I just loved everything about that car!! Around those times I owned a couple other muscle cars; '72 Trans Am and a '69 SS Camaro.

Jump forward and although I kept dreaming of owning another muscle car over the years it just never happened. Until this past week when a neighbor of a close friend said he was selling his '09 Shelby. I just had to pull the trigger!! (Much to the delight of my 13 year old daughter I might add!)

To say that I am amazed with this car is an understatement. I haven't felt this kind of horsepower in many many years! To me it surpasses the Shelbys of old; you have all the creature comforts and reliability of a modern-day car with tremendous handling characteristics and more than ample horsepower. Just driving slowly through my neighborhood is wonderful. The looks from neighbors is amusing. The car sounds like a dump truck as the 540 ponies rumble and reverberate between the homes! And then of course, taking it onto the highway I usually get some "thumbs ups" from passerby's! Priceless.

Anyway, that's my story. I look forward to learning more about this treasure and getting to know you all.

Thanks,

Welcome to the family Bruce, both TS & KR!

Great story to read, especially in 2016! This Shelby is amazing and you will love it. There is a lot of good info on this forum for you and you will learn a lot about your car right here. Congratulations on your new KR. "Keep it between the lines". And I agree with the TVS upgrade!! Wow, what a difference.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome Bruce, Just purchased our first KR. I am a happy camper with the car. I fully understand your Z car. My buddy had one while I had grabber blue boss 302 while in the army back in the day. I traded my 2007 Shelby SGT (which was about 500 HP) when i traded it for the 2013 grabber blue boss 302. I fully understand about the Z car and the Boss car. Dang amazing cars in the day. Having said that I am so glad i got the KR , love it!! and it is one of the few that came from Shelby so hang on to that puppy if you can. I could care less about the value in my life time but as you mentioned it will be nice to pass on to the kids one day. Look forward to seeing your post in the future.

-Billy