TEAM SHELBY FORUM

supersnake color options

Bump. This issue is getting bigger by the minute. The 40th package is sliver stripes only. Locking the stripe color down just does not make sense to me. As I stated in another post, it not the color of the stripes that will distingush the packages/cars, it's how the stripes are configured.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump. This issue is getting bigger by the minute. The 40th package is sliver stripes only. Locking the stripe color down just does not make sense to me. As I stated in another post, it not the color of the stripes that will distingush the packages/cars, it's how the stripes are configured.

Are you or Amy saying that all cars that are shipped to SAI for the 40th Anniversary upgraded package will get Silver Stripes no matter what color they are now? If so, I'm out on both packages. Had I wanted silver (Tungsten) stripes in the beginning I would have ordered it that way from the factory with Red Crimson inserts.

Are you or Amy saying that all cars that are shipped to SAI for the 40th Anniversary upgraded package will get Silver Stripes no matter what color they are now? If so, I'm out on both packages. Had I wanted silver (Tungsten) stripes in the beginning I would have ordered it that way from the factory with Red Crimson inserts.

Coldy, here's a link to the stripe discussion on the 40th thread. The downsizing of the rear wheels and tires is an even bigger issue, imo.

Dan

Thanks dan, I created a poll in the Super Snake thread that addresses most concerns but didn't see this post until after I made the poll. Now I see rim & tire size is an issue also. :doh:

fyi, the polls are now editable but you might not want to... when I edited one a while back it worked fine but reset the counters, but possibly I did something wrong.

thanks for mentioning that -- I hadn't seen it... I'll check it out.

Dan

Per Adrienne today at Shelby.

THe ONLY color for SuperSnake stripes is BLACK.....PERIOD.....

She called me today for my deposit, and I spoke with her at length about this....

I have a Vista Blue with White stripes, for this reason, I have chosen to go with the 40th package, and add the 600HP option.....I am officially number 07XL0366 (07 for the year, XL for 40, and your specific #).

So, I can live with the Silver stripes, but not black on blue.....Plus for everything that comes on the 40th package, your not getting too much extra for the supersnake for an extra 15grand.....

Respectfully,

john wade

She called me today for my deposit, and I spoke with her at length about this....

I have a Vista Blue with White stripes, for this reason, I have chosen to go with the 40th package, and add the 600HP option.....I am officially number 07XL0366 (07 for the year, XL for 40, and your specific #).

So, I can live with the Silver stripes, but not black on blue.....Plus for everything that comes on the 40th package, your not getting too much extra for the supersnake for an extra 15grand.....

Respectfully,

john wade

Congrats John, thats great news! However, I bet the black stripes on the blue will also look mean. I would really like to see some good photoshops with the different colors with black stripes.Imo, the SS is one awesome mean lookin' beast,no matter what color. :shades:

Respectfully,

john wade

??Your paying almost 12k for 40th for a coupe package add 6k for 600hp blower now you are at 18k without blower install LBR.$$, so really you are SAVING 8K-9K, so now the NOT MUCH EXTRA you are talking about is;

- upgraded brakes $3.5k +lbr. which I think is a must because the front brakes go from 14" to 15" from 4 piston to 6 piston and rear brakes are 11.8" vs upgraded to 14" . That helps stop that extra hp, :idea: NA, FORGET ABOUT STOPPING WHO NEEDS THAT!!

-FRPP short throw shifter $300.+lbr. smoother shifting

-totally new rear with 3.73's $1.2k +lbr. taller gear makes it quicker out of the hole (personally I like 4.10's)

-different hood all together $1.8k +lbr. functional ram air for better breathing of extra hp, how much better, who know"s, I think that just looks good but $1.8k for a fiberglass hood??

-alcoa rims vs razor ( right now razor only come in 9" width, so you are downsizing on tire width)

alcoa's come in 10" for rears now and the price difference is 1k just for rims, tires don't know $$ lbr. same, :idea: BUT YOU DON'T NEED MORE RUBBER ON THE PAVEMENT WITH EXTRA HP, DO YA??

-suspension, don't really know the big difference between Eibach and the FRPP system they both lower the car, help in cornering/ launching/wheel hop, so why different systems?? Just to say the SS has different suspension than 40th??

-side scoops for brake rear ducting and scoops for quarter windows $$??

I'm sure I"m missing something, but THAT is your NOT MUCH EXTRA in a nutshell......sure you get the SS power, but without the bigger brakes, taller rear, better shifter and more rubber to put the power down for braking/cornering like the SS, WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH THAT EXTRA POWER ????

You'll do better :burnout: though

Don't get me wrong, the 40th is a GREAT PACKAGE by itself, but adding the blower for extra power doesn't make sense without adding those NOT MUCH EXTRAS.

This is exactly why the stripe restrictions are a pain, imo.

Many will opt-out if they have to change their stripe color but I also understand that SA wants the package to have a specific 'calling-card' look.

C'est la vie.

Ya picks ya choices and takes ya chances ;-)

I guess the silver (40th) and matte black (SS) are at least two colors that gowith anything, notwithstanding personal color preferences.

The SS is awesome tho!!!

Hey, ARGT500. Ease up on SKYMEDIC. It's his first post. I thought there was a rule that the first 10 post replies are all nicey nice. What happened? Get up on the wrong side of the bed...JEEESH!

Oops sorry skymedic, I really was'nt trying to pick on you, guess I was a CRABAPPLE this morning............ :banghead::finger::baby:

This is exactly why the stripe restrictions are a pain, imo.

Many will opt-out if they have to change their stripe color but I also understand that SA wants the package to have a specific 'calling-card' look.

C'est la vie.

Ya picks ya choices and takes ya chances ;-)

I guess the silver (40th) and matte black (SS) are at least two colors that gowith anything, notwithstanding personal color preferences.

The SS is awesome tho!!!

When you mention the words "Shelby Hertz" what color comes to mind first?

BLACK with GOLD Stripes!

Like its predecessor, the 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H will be instantly recognizable – thanks to several eye-catching styling enhancements that are so much a part of the Shelby Mustang heritage. First and foremost, each Shelby GT-H will wear Black exterior paint set off with Gold racing stripes, a hallmark of Hertz’s vehicle history dating all the way back to the 1920s. While it’s true that the Shelby GT350H was eventually made available in other color combinations, the Black-and-Gold combo is often referred to as “Hertz colors” by most Mustang aficionados.

So why should the Super Snake be any different when it comes to the Performance White Base color? Deviating from the heritage Blue stripes on a White car with flat black stripes & then calling it a Super Snake is just plain wrong.

SAI?

PLEASE STAY TRUE TO YOUR HERITAGE & OFFER A VISTA BLUE STRIPE OPTION FOR PERFORMANCE WHITE CARS?

When you mention the words "Shelby Hertz" what color comes to mind first?

BLACK with GOLD Stripes!

Like its predecessor, the 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H will be instantly recognizable – thanks to several eye-catching styling enhancements that are so much a part of the Shelby Mustang heritage. First and foremost, each Shelby GT-H will wear Black exterior paint set off with Gold racing stripes, a hallmark of Hertz’s vehicle history dating all the way back to the 1920s. While it’s true that the Shelby GT350H was eventually made available in other color combinations, the Black-and-Gold combo is often referred to as “Hertz colors” by most Mustang aficionados.

So why should the Super Snake be any different when it comes to the Performance White Base color? Deviating from the heritage Blue stripes on a White car with flat black stripes & then calling it a Super Snake is just plain wrong.

SAI?

PLEASE STAY TRUE TO YOUR HERITAGE & OFFER A VISTA BLUE STRIPE OPTION FOR PERFORMANCE WHITE CARS?

And a White stripe with Vista Blue cars........classic colors also. The three over the top and badges say it's a supersnake and the classic stripes say it's a Shelby.

And a White stripe with Vista Blue cars........classic colors also. The three over the top and badges say it's a supersnake and the classic stripes say it's a Shelby.

+1. I think the stripe package should be distinctive; the three over the top stripes tells what this car is IMHO. If this was a "complete" car, such as the GT-H, I would also agree with a distinctive car/stripes color combo. But the SS package is added to an existing car. People have already chosen their color combo and may not necessary want the mandatory black (especially those that have paid extra for the red stripes package to begin with). IMHO, black works well with Red, GO, and Tungsten, but not that well with Black or Alloy. As far as Performance White and Vista Blue, while black stripes may be OK, I still think the classic look is white w/blue stripes or blue w/ white stripes. As Coldwater said, white with blue stripes was the original color. It should be available on the new SS. I agree that people have the choice not to buy the package if they don't like certain aspects, but I feel SAI will loose some sales over the color stripe issue.

+2, but I think it's a done deal now -- black SS stripes (at least from SA).

---------------

Coldy, I withdrew a long post on this subject in support of your (and others) position and expanding on why the PJ and Bulllit are not equivalent decisions, imo, (as Amy felt they were) because the color decisionon on the SS customer cars was already made when first purchased and now the customer is being forced to changed a decision they already labored over and have become attached to (not a good thing).

Since Amy said that if every one except one cancels, it's still black stripes, I withdrew that post so as to not :beatdeadhorse: any further.

I can see AMy's position and can respect what she's trying to accomplish with brand differentiation; I'd just do it differntly ...I don't agree with the decision, but it's now a done deal.

I bet we'll see individual owners strip the matte-black stripes and paint them on in the color of their choice -- too bad a deopt isn't available to make that easier (tho I realize why).

Hey ApplesRed,

Thanks for the advice...

SO, I posted in another thread that I am also doing the upgraded brakes and shortshifter, and 1/4 window louvres......I might also throw the alcoa's on there as well....

They have my deposit already and just waiting for my call back next month to bring the car out.....

So, bottom line is, YES you are correct, I will end paying more than the 11,200 after I had the HP, brakes, shifter, louvres....

I just cant live with black stripes on blue....So that killed the SS for me......

Respectfully,

JW

Hey ApplesRed,

Thanks for the advice...

SO, I posted in another thread that I am also doing the upgraded brakes and shortshifter, and 1/4 window louvres......I might also throw the alcoa's on there as well....

They have my deposit already and just waiting for my call back next month to bring the car out.....

So, bottom line is, YES you are correct, I will end paying more than the 11,200 after I had the HP, brakes, shifter, louvres....

I just cant live with black stripes on blue....So that killed the SS for me......

Respectfully,

JW

...you could also do the SS and then have the stripes stripped and painted as you like them -- might be cheaper overall and give you the look you wanted... just a thought.

Either way -- gotta post lots of pics when you get her back!! ;-)

...you could also do the SS and then have the stripes stripped and painted as you like them -- might be cheaper overall and give you the look you wanted... just a thought.

This is always an option, but it defeats one of the main purposes to getting the badging and the package, and that is the Shelby Register. It will not match the Registry and at some point in the future it will detract from the desirability, price and or both. Just my thoughts. Now I apologize in advance, but, I just have to say it, Black on black will look terrible. I don't even own a Black car. I find it intriguing that just because someone says that something looks great, awesome, beautiful, so many people accept it as gospel. Remember the story of the emperor that wore no clothes? I personally think we are getting some of this. I speculate many of those driving next to you on the street will question your sanity for putting black on black, save for a few knowledgable car folks that MIGHT be aware of the Shelby GT500, which many people are not aware of. By the way, I've got a White and getting Silver stripes. If you want to tell me that you think it looks terrible, I'll agree with you.

---------------

Coldy, I withdrew a long post on this subject in support of your (and others) position and expanding on why the PJ and Bulllit are not equivalent decisions, imo, (as Amy felt they were) because the color decisionon on the SS customer cars was already made when first purchased and now the customer is being forced to changed a decision they already labored over and have become attached to (not a good thing).

Since Amy said that if every one except one cancels, it's still black stripes, I withdrew that post so as to not :beatdeadhorse: any further.

I can see AMy's position and can respect what she's trying to accomplish with brand differentiation; I'd just do it differntly ...I don't agree with the decision, but it's now a done deal.

I bet we'll see individual owners strip the matte-black stripes and paint them on in the color of their choice -- too bad a deopt isn't available to make that easier (tho I realize why).

Thanks 68fastback,

But in all honesty. Amy has said all along that once our cars arrive there for the upgrades, we could get whatever we wanted done to it. Doesn't look like that will be the case anymore when it comes to stripes. All I know is I'm no longer spending anymore money at SAI for car parts & will buy the same parts elsewhere because they will be the same parts only cheaper & because the classic heritage look of White with blue stripes is no more for a new modern day Super Snake that it's suppost to mimic & represent.

Speaking of heritage, does anyone know where the original 1967 GT500 Super Snake lives? While driving in Albuquerque this morning, what appeared to be a white 1967 GT500 with the proper blue stripe configuration went by me the other way. Unfortunately, it was a limited access road so I couldn't turn around to give chase in my Civic.

---------------

I think changes are still possible if SA will do it.(will is the question we are all hoping for)

Done deal I really hope not. They are still weeks away from actually building these cars. I would think still plenty of time ,hopefully to add a stripe color option. (again its SA call I really hope they hear most of us about the stripes)

I think changes are still possible if SA will do it.(will is the question we are all hoping for)

Done deal I really hope not. They are still weeks away from actually building these cars. I would think still plenty of time ,hopefully to add a stripe color option. (again its SA call I really hope they hear most of us about the stripes)

Yeah, even if getting color-match vinyl were a problem, Jim, a stripe deopt (so folks can have thempainted on) would be a resonable concession(even if a no-credit deopt).

I have to admit, the black does look good in the photochops Amy posted, but the issue for me would be ('would' because I don't have one <lol>) having to back-off a color combo I labored over and became attached to.

I could be wrong, but when an executive makes a final 'pronouncement' as Amy did, it isn't going to change -- yet I hope it does. I can appreciate SA's position and also the frustration of those who want it to be different.

If I had a white one, I would undoubtedly undo the black stripes and shadow-paint the classic SS stripes in blue ghost-fade, with a reverse-ghost Tiffany snake in the hood stripes. (I can dream, anyway <lol>)

cobrafan

There are at least 2 recognized registries. There is the "Official" GT500 Registry at the Shelby Automobiles, Inc website and the Shelby American Automobile Club World Registry. Which one are you referring to?

Empire,

I did not know there were two regristries. I thought there was one that documented the history of Shelby cars, presumably at Shelby. In any event, my issue is that if we change stripes colors or whatever after it has been registered, I guess at either place, any future research in either or both registries would reveal that it was no longer to the original specifications as it left Shelby. I suspect this may have an impact on desirability and or price that a buyer would be willing to pay.

Speaking of heritage, does anyone know where the original 1967 GT500 Super Snake lives? While driving in Albuquerque this morning, what appeared to be a white 1967 GT500 with the proper blue stripe configuration went by me the other way. Unfortunately, it was a limited access road so I couldn't turn around to give chase in my Civic.

This is all I could find:

http://customfastbackca.com/ebaysnakeB.jpg

Comfort, Texas

I thought that the way the registrys typically work is that you fill out the submission form and can just note any changes to the car.

I would not think stripes would affect future value much at all -- vinyl doesn't last all that long anyway if exposed to UV regularly (eventually gets brittle -- especially matte black). Certainly a museum-piece car would be worth more, but a regularly driven well-cared-for Shelby with mods should hold it's value about the same as original SS stripes, imo, since the vinyl would have to be stripped and redone anyway at some point.

Maybe someone with more experience on this might know better, but it sure would not affect value for me unless it was a museum piece (which is no fun at all ;-)

Ok, I am still wondering about the stripes. I know that these may be final but i think that my mother said it best. "It looks good, but it looks like a model car that someone got lazy and didnt want to finish." Spoken like a great lady and an honest non-car enthusiast. She loves to drive my Shelby around, and loves the white stripes. My brothers and father all think that no where in history was flat black a "classic" Shelby color. Blue with white and white with blue definately were. All opinions but i hate satisficing a color scheme for the car of my dreams.

Vista

Ok, I am still wondering about the stripes. I know that these may be final but i think that my mother said it best. "It looks good, but it looks like a model car that someone got lazy and didnt want to finish." Spoken like a great lady and an honest non-car enthusiast. She loves to drive my Shelby around, and loves the white stripes. My brothers and father all think that no where in history was flat black a "classic" Shelby color. Blue with white and white with blue definately were. All opinions but i hate satisficing a color scheme for the car of my dreams.

Vista

AMEN Brother!

I thought that the way the registrys typically work is that you fill out the submission form and can just note any changes to the car.

I would not think stripes would affect future value much at all -- vinyl doesn't last all that long anyway if exposed to UV regularly (eventually gets brittle -- especially matte black). Certainly a museum-piece car would be worth more, but a regularly driven well-cared-for Shelby with mods should hold it's value about the same as original SS stripes, imo, since the vinyl would have to be stripped and redone anyway at some point.

Maybe someone with more experience on this might know better, but it sure would not affect value for me unless it was a museum piece (which is no fun at all ;-)

My experience with the collector car market is that those cars that have retained their originality, i.e. as delivered from the factory, and most importantly are true survivors, meaning all parts are still there as is the original paint, will almost always bring more money at the auction block than a modified, restomod or restored vehicle. That said, I for one would be willing to pay more for a survivor in good to great shape over the others, and only if the proper documentation is available.

Your concern over the vinyl (?) tape is valid, and the main reason for my getting my car with the stripe delete option from the start. It is the only real issue with the stripping that I have as either the silver or flat black stripes will probably look well, especially the black on tungston. But knowing fully well that I will have a problem with the tape, as I plan on holding on to the car until I die, is what I don't understand. Hell, give me the option to paint them on, respecting the "official" color, even at a premium, and no question that I am in. I am just having a small problem accepting something that I don't really want. :banghead::censored:

... give me the option to paint them on, respecting the "official" color, even at a premium, and no question that I am in. I am just having a small problem accepting something that I don't really want. :banghead::censored:

SAI should AT LEAST offer stripe delete.

An almost perfect analogy is Porsche's 911 RS model variant..... much like Shelby Super Snake or GT500KR, the Porsche RS is The Holy Grail of all things Porsche 911. Original version produced in limited numbers in 1973. Brief one-year RS cameo appearances in 1993 in U.S. market, early 2000's for Euro market only.

For model years 2007-2008 Porsche again produces several hundred 911 GT3 RS for North American market.

Anybody who knows the specific RS exterior body/ wheels/ brakes + interior styling cues KNOWS from 50 feet it is an authentic RS!!!!

The factory "GT3 RS" exterior decal/graphics package is selected by 80% of new RS owners, but the decals/graphics remain AN OPTION. ...................... Many RS owners opt for 'GRAPHICS DELETE' and instead install separately THEIR OWN COLOR post-factory graphics/decals (usually historical Porsche factory colors, true to the marque) _sounding familiar?_ duplicating the "GT3 RS" factory graphics artwork but IN THE OWNER'S CHOICE OF COLORS. Porsche is HAPPY to supply the car without stickers/graphics. There is no resulting dilution of the RS brand.

Again, I will add my voice to those encouraging SAI to at least offer stripe delete rather than waste hours undertaking tedious stripe removal labor $$ when the vehicle owner has other, equally Shelby-worthy SS stripe colors in mind. TRUST THE GT500 OWNER WHO HAS JUST VOLUNTARILY SPENT $80K+ !

EKG normal, rant over...I do have to agree that Red and Grabber Orange will look absolutely kickazz with the black stripes...see distant relatives below..

post-8511-1183434887_thumb.jpg

post-8511-1183435081_thumb.jpg

post-8511-1183434887_thumb.jpg

post-8511-1183435081_thumb.jpg

Archived