TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tune Strategies

brianb4

Hi: I bought my 2008 GT500 used last year. It already had a JLT 123mm intake and 2.6" upper Supercharger pulley when purchased. The Carfax shows that the car was serviced in 2014 and the computer reprogrammed at a Ford Dealer in NC. I bought an X4 tuner from SCT and asked for 2 Bama tunes with the criteria based on what mods the car has on it; a 91octane and a 93octane tune. The car won't run on either tune. It barely idles and acts like 4 cylinders are dead if you touch the gas. Here's my dilemma: the Bama guys want to know what my "stock" tune code is. Since the was reprogrammed in 2014 I don't know if what's in there is stock or not. The code is FBMM0C9. Bama told me that is a stock Mustang code. Can anyone tell me if it is a stock code and would Ford modify this code to accept the JLT and pulley, or would they put in a different strategy? I want to make sure I'm getting all I can out of the mods.

It doesn't sound like it, but for arguments sake lets say the car also has cams in it. I don't know if that is addressed in the FBMM0C9 code and it is certainly not addressed by Bama. Any information on the FBMM0C9 code is much appreciated.

Brian

2008 GT500 Convertible

Vapor w/fender strips

27,500 miles

A ford dealer would not be providing a program for a changed intake and reduced pulley, other than a package obtained thru FRPP, which this one clearly is not. If the prior owner had installed the intake and pulley, then he also would have had a hand held tuner with the correct tune on it, that he would have installed on the car. Is there any way for you to contact the prior owner to figure out what was done regarding the tune? The stock ford tune for that car would not be working well with your configuration so I can't imagine why an owner would allow ford to install it on top of a modified tune.......so there is probably a mismatch of some sort going on here. It would be hard for me to recommend that anyone work with bama on their tunes........but I could certainly recommend a discussion with BJ at VMP tuning. They have a good handle on tunes for this car, and are good to work with.

With your mods.....I very much doubt that the car has cams in it.............your mods are much too mild for someone to jump to that.......would just not have given any bang for the buck.

Thanks. Bama identified FBMM0C9 as a stock Ford tune. Stock as in that's what came out of the factory, or stock as in standard modified configurations?? That hit their intelligence level. I have read that Ford may put the stock tune back in during routine maintenance, so that's my concern. I think I'll go ahead and pull a spark plug to see what's in there and then go to your recommendation for a tune. If you ever watch the GT500 build on Americnamuscle.com, the previous owner seemed to have followed their recommendations. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this crazy idea. Get the car to ford, whether you drive or tow it. Have them load the factory tune into it. Tow it home; Im assuming it wont run - if it does great; and then load your tune and you should be on your way. If Bama is replacing the stock tune with theirs, why is the previous tune even an issue. Does Bamas tune somehow modify the stock tune for its final product. If it does than this proceedure should work and you wont have to spend anymore money. As a side note, if it is in fact already the stock tune, it may have become corrupted so starting fresh will hopefully work. Good Luck!!

Edited by Dave1968