TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Clutch

patamy123

My 2013 has 20,000 miles on it. 4th and 5th gear started to slip. I took it into the Ford dealer. They told me it was a 50/50 chance of being covered under the warranty. They looked at it and said it wasn't covered. Charged me 450 dollars to look at it. I ordered the triple clutch from Acer and Ford said it was going to cost another 450 to install it. For a 2 year old car 20,000 miles, having a 3,000 dollar repair is crazy. Thoughts?? Did Ford sell us a car with subpar parts? Is 900 to install the clutch crazy?

They said the clutch is a wear and tear item. Not warrantied. I did read somewhere 12 months but my car is 2 years old. I have not modified the car in any way. First, dealership said not covered, ,without needing to look at it. The second dealership said, it was a 50/50 chance. It's a convertible so it hasn't even been on the track.

My 2013 has 20,000 miles on it. 4th and 5th gear started to slip. I took it into the Ford dealer. They told me it was a 50/50 chance of being covered under the warranty. They looked at it and said it wasn't covered. Charged me 450 dollars to look at it. I ordered the triple clutch from Acer and Ford said it was going to cost another 450 to install it. For a 2 year old car 20,000 miles, having a 3,000 dollar repair is crazy. Thoughts?? Did Ford sell us a car with subpar parts? Is 900 to install the clutch crazy?

The clutch systems in the 2013/14 cars are very strong. Not a lot of complaints with un-modified cars. What did they see when the clutch was examined? What did they tell you? Worn disc, pressure plate failure? If they suspected it had been abused and that was confirmed by the inspection, then that may be the reason for the refusal. I would think if they saw a clutch part that prematurely failed, they would have most likely covered it under warranty. It's usually a clutch part that breaks when it shouldn't have, or operator abuse. Sorry I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I have 25K on my 2013 clutch, have road raced it at the tracks, and it is still strong with no issues. Clutch system failures oftentimes are reflective of operator abuse or increasing the engine power to exceed the clutches design parameters, rather than material failure. I don't mean to offend you, but without seeing the clutch system and flywheel it's hard to give you any guidance.

Edited by 03reptile

Everything except the clutch discs should be covered by the warranty.

From the 2013 Mustang Warranty Guide

Maintenance/Wear

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover: (1) parts and labor

needed to maintain the vehicle; and (2) the replacement of parts due to

normal wear and tear. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items.

See your Owner’s Manual. Some examples of maintenance and normal

wear are:

• oil changes

• oils, lubricants, other fluids

• oil/air filters

• tire rotation/inflation

• cleaning/polishing

clutch linings

• wiper blades*

• wheel alignments and tire balancing*

• brake pad/lining*

I have driven a clutch all my life. I understand wear and tear. I have done no modifications, to the car. Google 2013 clutch problems and you'll see quite a few complaining about it. Why did they only use a single disc? The first dealership told me I was lucky I got 20,000 miles.

The dealer was BS'ing you from the start. They knew the clutch wasn't covered. A strong clutch in 2013? My buddy's 2013 had it's pressure plate fly apart after just a couple of thousand miles. It made a hell of a racket and cracked the bellhousing. He took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything. How'd they miss cracks and holes in the bellhousing? After the damage was brought to their attention, they refused to warranty it. He traded it in.

I have driven a clutch all my life. I understand wear and tear. I have done no modifications, to the car. Google 2013 clutch problems and you'll see quite a few complaining about it. Why did they only use a single disc? The first dealership told me I was lucky I got 20,000 miles.

On page 5 of the 2014 GT500 Supplement, line item ( 10 ) states: " 260 millimeter twin disc clutch ".....I would expect the clutch in your 13 to be the same.

Good luck with your Ace. My Ace twin disk lasted NO TIME.

My stock unit lasted I "think" around 16k miles. That was with some decent heavy footed driving, mods (710/711) and many many 1/4 mile runs. Then I smoked it on my fastest run ever at Vegas Dragway. So I called Ace...

Ordered the twin disk for around $1700 if my memory serves me correctly. Had it installed by GTR Performance in Ontario, California. It had ONE day at the track consisting of 4 runs. Lasted about 5k miles. Slipping in 3rd like crazy. Pulled the clutch. It literally ate itself. Ace covered a new unit under warranty and overnighted it to me. First they said the shims sent with the first clutch were wrong, then they told me they were right, then they sent me a tool to measure the throwout, etc. It was a headache.

The second Ace is in now, and I haven't driven it that much as I'm away on business (less than 2000 miles). But for what it's worth, my stock clutch lasted 3 times longer than the supposedly sturdier Ace twin disk with less than 1/10th the amount of drag pulls.

Good luck with it.

• 3 months later...

Another update.

Well, the 2nd Ace twin disk lasted less time than the 1st one. About 4-5k miles with NO drag passes. I did a rally with it on, and quite a bit of hard driving but mostly daily drove it. But, as with the first one, it has eaten itself. Makes the same squeeling noise the first one made due to the disks getting down to the large rivets, then it began slipping.

It's in storage right now as I'm away on business, but I'll be putting either a McLeod or Spec in it literally the day I get back. The Ace has caused me nothing but headaches and wasted money. I don't know why Shelby is selling them. Design sounds awesome. Reliability is crap.

Save yourself some heartache. Don't buy these clutches...

• 6 months later...

I am also having clutch issues in my 2014gt500. Slipping bad on acceleration between third and fourth gear, only 13,000mi

Car has never seen a track never abused. I am the 2nd owner and had 8900mi when I bought it...will Ford install aftermarket clutch?

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having clutch issues in my 2014gt500. Slipping bad on acceleration between third and fourth gear, only 13,000mi

Car has never seen a track never abused. I am the 2nd owner and had 8900mi when I bought it...will Ford install aftermarket clutch?

Not on their dime. If you pay for labor, they'll most likely install an aftermarket clutch for you. They will most probably not warranty the clutch unless it is a FMC clutch. Previous owner may be to blame. I still contend the 2013 2014 clutches are strong and given the number of failures of both model years compared with the number of cars produced, they are pretty strong.