TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2016 GT350

That would be interesting, SAI is the best there is at improving Mustangs of all kinds. But the problem would be to get a GT350 to start with, you still have to go through the Ford ADM machine.

Let the retailers move the suckers who agree to an ADM rear ending through the system and you will betalking about another SE Mustang like all the ones that have preceded, no problem buying any one of them. Ford can build more 60 or 70 thousand dollar Mustangs than the public would ever buy.

Edited by buster

I agree. Mike thinks if he can belittle the new GT350 enough on this Shelby site, it will keep his old one at a higher esteem and value. Not gonna happen. The new GT350 is the current hero car. Until the next track Z28 Camaro is released.

Agree,You nailed that one.

Although the 2015/16 Mustang GT based Super Snake with a large supercharger is advertised at 750HP, they told me it can be delivered with 850HP with no major changes. The stock independently suspended rear differential may not be able to handle much more than that.

Since the Voodoo engine in the GT350 is not suitable for supercharging (according to SAI), I somehow doubt if they will have a version that goes beyond cosmetic and suspension modifications. Freer exhaust may be.

So my bet will be on the next GT500 - which definitely will come with a boosted engine, may that be turbo charged or supercharged. SAI may come out with a higher boosted version that makes substantially more power.

Although the 2015/16 Mustang GT based Super Snake with a large supercharger is advertised at 750HP, they told me it can be delivered with 850HP with no major changes. The stock independently suspended rear differential may not be able to handle much more than that.

Since the Voodoo engine in the GT350 is not suitable for supercharging (according to SAI), I somehow doubt if they will have a version that goes beyond cosmetic and suspension modifications. Freer exhaust may be.

So my bet will be on the next GT500 - which definitely will come with a boosted engine, may that be turbo charged or supercharged. SAI may come out with a higher boosted version that makes substantially more power.

"Not suitable for supercharging according to SAI". Again I repeat Hennessy is super charging a GT350. Building 50 limited edition.

They could make up a name as they did for the Shelby 1000. Now if they a special limited edition named the Shelby GP (for Gary Patterson), I would interested! Of course, Gary would have to have at least three signatures placed somewhere in the car (dash and seats) for added value. :cool:

Lund is supercharging his gt350 as I type this. The supercharger isn't the problem, rather, it's about the only solution. Think about it-

The manga ride suspension isn't going to be upgrade able, the carbon wheels and cup 2 tires are the best it's gonna get.

Maybe you could re skin the recaros and add a cage, but that's a small amount to do in the build biz.

Hennessy? Please... They talk a big game, but they have burnt multiple raptors to the ground and are known to take engines out of good vipers and swap them out for mistakes they made with others. I wouldn't trust those guys with a bicycle. And with them right down the interstate, and in my region, I hate to say that. But it's 100% true.

Lund is supercharging his gt350 as I type this. The supercharger isn't the problem, rather, it's about the only solution. Think about it-

The manga ride suspension isn't going to be upgrade able, the carbon wheels and cup 2 tires are the best it's gonna get.

Maybe you could re skin the recaros and add a cage, but that's a small amount to do in the build biz.

Hennessy? Please... They talk a big game, but they have burnt multiple raptors to the ground and are known to take engines out of good vipers and swap them out for mistakes they made with others. I wouldn't trust those guys with a bicycle. And with them right down the interstate, and in my region, I hate to say that. But it's 100% true.

They kinda sound like Carroll Shelby himself ! Willing to take some risks ! Edited by cmcmotorworks

lol. why the hell would anyone want a gary patterson edition? big names like gurney and parnelli who are historically significant to ford racing and mustangs barely have enough brand recognition to sell a modded mustang today. saleen is another good example of someone whose recognition factor barely registers with the average performance car enthusiast. shinoda is yet another example that comes to mind. or even iacocca himself. no, that would be a ridiculous move by SAI. in fact, if they decided to come out with an inbred edition like that i would sell my Shelby and never look back out of sheer embarrassment.

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

"Not suitable for supercharging according to SAI". Again I repeat Hennessy is super charging a GT350. Building 50 limited edition.

It wasn't SAI who said it... Ford said the GT350 did not come supercharged because of the flat-plane crank not my words but from Ford so if Hennessey or Lund are doing it they risk blowing the motor or they are changing something internally. We all know Lund can tune anything but if Ford said that I would kind of believe them

Yes, you are 100% correct. However, Ford looks at it from a warranty risk standpoint. Part of the issue when offering a supercharger upgrade like Ford racing has done in the past is the simple fact that once delivered, the owner can swap a pulley fairly easily and taking the output above The engines capabilities, and after its blown, they just swap the pulley back and take it in for replacement. Ford doesn't want to encourage that, have little to gain and much to lose, as does Shelby. This is an upgrade of a very small niche for people who intend to use the 350 for non track activities like a drag strip- or in Lund's case, mile events. Truth be told, I plan on doing this as well. We expect 750-800hp should be easy to obtain and safe enough, but mile events are the hardest on engines because you are pushing the engine at rev limits and in the highest gear possible for much longer than typical performance uses. A drag strip run takes 12 seconds, give or take, but a mile run is 30 seconds of pure upper rev limits. Doesn't seem long until you are driving it. It really does feel like you are strapping yourself to a bomb and waving your cowboy hat all the way down the runway. If your engine lets go at 180-200+mph, you dump oil all over your rear tires, and that is no Bueno at all.

Yes, you are 100% correct. However, Ford looks at it from a warranty risk standpoint. Part of the issue when offering a supercharger upgrade like Ford racing has done in the past is the simple fact that once delivered, the owner can swap a pulley fairly easily and taking the output above The engines capabilities, and after its blown, they just swap the pulley back and take it in for replacement. Ford doesn't want to encourage that, have little to gain and much to lose, as does Shelby. This is an upgrade of a very small niche for people who intend to use the 350 for non track activities like a drag strip- or in Lund's case, mile events. Truth be told, I plan on doing this as well. We expect 750-800hp should be easy to obtain and safe enough, but mile events are the hardest on engines because you are pushing the engine at rev limits and in the highest gear possible for much longer than typical performance uses. A drag strip run takes 12 seconds, give or take, but a mile run is 30 seconds of pure upper rev limits. Doesn't seem long until you are driving it. It really does feel like you are strapping yourself to a bomb and waving your cowboy hat all the way down the runway. If your engine lets go at 180-200+mph, you dump oil all over your rear tires, and that is no Bueno at all.

I don't think the issue Ford is concerned about is whether the basic power plant can handle the additional HP, but rather the vibration issues of the FPC beyond what it is tested/rated at. By all accounts, the "system" is well balanced using internal, parasitic and external balancers. I could see Ford's concern about going beyond those parameters. I'd bet they have a Ford Performance Parts project going on but they are doing due diligence for long term reliability.

You said you are going this direction. How much boost will you go with? It seems like most of the gain comes at around 8-10psi. I remember the before and after with the KB on my SGT and at 8psi it was like night and day.

If I were doing a mile car I'd go over to the new 5.2 crate engine.

Edited by twobjshelbys

I agree on the flying mile events, when I ran the Texas Mile with my ZR1, it was buried at red line on every gear and through the final traps it was almost there, so lots of stress, and it got mucho hot. But if that LS-9 (stock, I built it) can take it, why not the Voodoo?

There is no doubt it can handle it, just whether it can be competitive enough to get into the 200+MPH club.

There is no doubt it can handle it, just whether it can be competitive enough to get into the 200+MPH club.

I agree, I do not think it would make it, the aero is not good enough. The front of the Mustang is more like a brick than a knife. My ZR1 was lifting noticeably as I crossed 200, this Mustang would just not get there.