TEAM SHELBY FORUM

suspect pcm

robwidner

OK everyone, I need help bad. My 2007 gt 500 has several issues going on, here's what's happening. I get traction control light going on and off, reset and comes back. I get the info readout for instance 26 miles to empty while I show a 1/2 tank on fuel gauge, the battery indicator comes on and doesn't stay on it goes off and then will come on. I have had my gauge pod lights go off and at same time the in dash stereo display goes off at same time, now this gauge pod and stereo thing seem to happen while accelerating pretty good. As for the battery thing I thought I had addressed it by getting the PA Performance 200 amp alternator and 4 gauge wire also, the code I was getting was P0622 Field Generator or something like that, but now it's back. I have measured voltage at battery posts at idle and show around 15.2 volts sounds high too me, I have measured battery without car running and it's around 12.6 or so. I called the people who make the alternator and they said the PCM controls how much output it provides. I have done the self test on the dash display and all checks out ok. I need help as the dealer won't touch it as the car is modded

• 1 month later...

So was it the alternator? I was getting traction control lights, losing all dash functionality on/off and finally car was cutting out and in limp home mode. After a significant amount of Ford dealership hassle an alternator replacement (re-manufactured part per Ford extended warranty) cured my problem and has not missed a beat since. Apparently these alternators really suck and should be updated to the Denso models from later years. When my warranty runs out that will be on my list... :shift:

So was it the alternator? I was getting traction control lights, losing all dash functionality on/off and finally car was cutting out and in limp home mode. After a significant amount of Ford dealership hassle an alternator replacement (re-manufactured part per Ford extended warranty) cured my problem and has not missed a beat since. Apparently these alternators really suck and should be updated to the Denso models from later years. When my warranty runs out that will be on my list... :shift:

Good tip about the updated alternator

I had similar issues to this with a truck that I had. It's been a while, but if i remember correctly it was a bad voltage regulator (that I believe is built into the alternator nowadays) had to replace it and a computer module (maybe equivalent to the pcm). It threw me off as the voltage went higher when the truck was running at idle periodically. Gauges would go crazy, air would shut off, etc. I could measure the voltage at my radar detector wiring I had installed. Your voltage in the car should not be that high. Figure that one out first. They sold me the computer, and I didn't really care, as it was a company truck. If it were my car, it would be a different story. I would start with that alternator, specifically the voltage regulator.