TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need a Moderator To Contact Me

I understand the following post was removed. I'd like to know exactly what was offensive about it and exactly what rule did I break by posting it, if you please.

I can be reached by email, phone, facebook and here. But I'd like an explanation, since when you removed it, you did not contact me and tell me I was violating the rules of this Forum....which is a very shaky term to use, if you are deleting members post and not telling them.

Thanks for your time.

MEMBER #139

-sam

The Old Windshield Man

There once was an old man I met when first starting out in Learjets, all he did for his entire career, was polish out the scratches in Learjet’s 1 1/2" thick Lexan windshield. There could be zero mistakes, any slight flaw whatsoever would require a new windshield, at about $80,000 in 1980's dollars.

This old man came to work every day, and performing nothing short of magic on these very delicate pieces of pure money. I spent years going to the service center and I would always find him with his homemade wooden stand, over a Learjet, just scrubbing away with maybe 80 grit at first, and eventually finishing perhaps as much as 2 days later with a flour sack towel, and it was perfect. Every time. He knew more about the Lexan windshield than the manufacturer did.

One visit I came in and his stand was not in the hangar, I asked a crew chief if he'd been sent on the road to repair one, he didn't answer me. So I went to his manager and asked him, he wouldn't answer me, so I went to the Senior Director for Maintenance and asked him, he couldn't answer me. The next day I went to the VP of that facility and asked him, he told me he knew I'd be asking and to direct me to him, so there I was with a shiny new VP, not even a new name and title on his door yet, and he explains to me that the old man's usefulness had come to an end, that it was much faster in the long run to just replace the windshield, then to have him work on it for 3 days, then tell them he could not fix the flaw in the Lexan.

I asked the VP how many windshields had failed after working on them. He said he didn't know exactly, but the decision had been made to move him to another position and that position didn't really work out for him. I was a pretty sad guy that day. Not so much for the old man, two of his coworkers quit, gathered him up and the three spent the rest of the old man's working days traveling all over the world to re-finish windshields on Learjets. Learjet windshield sales plummeted over the next couple years, and guess who was replaced?

I was sad for someone that was coming in as a new manager and director and did not see the value this man had and the direct correlation he had on this directors success as a director.

Change for changes sake is not always the best road to take.

If there were exceptions to any rule, I would think Rob might be one of them. Just his knowledge base and love for Shelby would be enough for me. But I'm not in charge, I'm just the guy watching him fix "windshields".

I understand the following post was removed. I'd like to know exactly what was offensive about it and exactly what rule did I break by posting it, if you please.

I can be reached by email, phone, facebook and here. But I'd like an explanation, since when you removed it, you did not contact me and tell me I was violating the rules of this Forum....which is a very shaky term to use, if you are deleting members post and not telling them.

Thanks for your time.

MEMBER #139

-sam

TexasShelby, I looked into this and your post was part of a thread that was moved from public viewing. The thread you posted in went off-topic and was deemed to be in violation of Team Shelby rules/guidelines. As far as I know your post was not in violation but was inter-tangled in posts from members who were in violation of such rules/guidelines.

I would think you should have no problem posting your windshield polisher posting in the off-topic area of Team Shelby, if you so desire. Its unfortunate that the actions of some can affect others.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam, I appreciate the post you made and your comments. When I was thrown to the wayside as a moderator with no explanation I reached out to Rich. Rich responded immediately and explained the direction that team Shelby was going in and how I do not fit that model anymore. He encouraged me to reach out to Tracy about getting involved in a regional way. That was two months ago and my emails to her are still not returned with a response. I have since put this behind me and I am moving on.

Edited by Grabber

Sam, I appreciate the post you made and your comments. When I was thrown to the wayside as a moderator with no explanation I reached out to Rich. Rich responded immediately and explained the direction that team Shelby was going in and how I do not fit that model anymore. He encouraged me to reach out to Tracy about getting involved in a regional way. That was two months ago and my emails to her are still not returned with a response. I have since put this behind me and I am moving on.

Guess it took you five years to figure out that we moderators wouldn't last long on here.... :(