TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Primer color under Grabber Blue paint?

UKGT500

Anyone know what color primer is used under Grabber Blue on a 2013 GT500? I am almost a bit alarmed that when I find stone chips on my car they seem to be a rust colour (or dark red / orange).

I can't believe my car is alive with rust after 8500 miles always kept in a garage and hardly seen rain all its' life.Stone chips are touched in carefully with a tiny brush as soon as I see them and there's evidence that the previous owner touched in all chips.

My 2007 used to stone-chip to reveal a white or light primer. My 2005 Mustang GT had 78000 miles when I sold it. I bought it with 50k miles and it was used by the first owner as a daily driver in all weathers, even snow. Used on salty roads, etc and the stone chips weren't rusty.

Just wondering. Web-wide search doesn't seem to bring anything up.

Malc

Edited by UKGT500

I`am not 100% sure but I would say Ford would not use red primer.

They used to--red oxide primer was the normal on many, many older Mustangs. If the "red" areas aren't bubbling up or irregular beyond the paint depression/flaw, just keep touching them up and don't sweat it.

Most of the forward-facing front-end of the car is plastic, so it can't rust. The hood is aluminum, so it can't rust either. I suppose the aluminum hood can oxidize, but I think that'd be whiteish, not red/orange. The rocker panels are plastic too. So where are you seeing red/orange rock chips?

Chips on my car are/were: front left fender forward facing corner, hood (that kills that one then if it's aluminium), 2 x tiny ones on door and a strange little line on rear fender side. No bubbling: they look more like stains so maybe a previous person polished the car with something strange.

The car is almost completely unblemished and probably has less stone chips than most. The one that made me think of rust was the inside rear fender where there's a metal seam: the front edge is a dark red/brown colour: no bubbling just the blue paint seems to be worn at the edge (probably by the tyres spitting up stones).

Will try and study the chips under a magnifyer or something..I'd like to think it's my imagination as the 2 previous Mustangs I owned didn't show rust and the GT was an all weather driver, even on salted roads.

Malc