TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Take a good look at my avatar

moabman

Doesn't look like a 40 year old car does it? Henry Ford II was stung by criticism that the 1-2-3 victory in 66 at Le Mans was not really an American Ford victory so he teamed with Shelby to develop the GT40 Mk IV and Gurney & Foyt drove it to victory - case closed :banvictory: Ironically, Mario Andretti, one of the best American drivers, ended up crashing in one of the Mk IVs and took out two other Fords. Le Mans is on now on the speed channel, check it out.

My Avatar was actually at Le Mans today and was raced in the Le Mans historic show! Dan Gurney was just interviewed and I found out that 1 week after winning Le Mans, Dan won the Belgium Grand Prix in his own American Eagle F-1 car. The little bubble on top of the roof (door) on the No.1 Mk IV was unique and was there so that Dan could fit in the car. Dan is also one of the best all time American drivers. In addition, Dan's co-driver, A J Foyt, had just won the Indy 500 10 days before. Sometimes the planets just line up.........

RLG18058_b.jpg

durn tootin'! Carroll is a Texan too yall! :happy feet:

One more bit of trivia - When Dan & A.J. won, they were handed two magnums of champaigne. Dan, in his excitement, wanted to share the moment with the crowd pressed around the podium. He shook the magnum and proceeded to spray the crowd with it. The victory "shower" caught on and has become a tradition that was started by Dan Gurney 40years ago. :banvictory:

Mark - have you read A.J.'s biography? Something like "America's Winningest Race Car Driver!" ? I think Neely wrote it for him. My favorite section is when AJ talks about Linda Vaughn and an incident with a State Trooper! :hysterical2::hysterical2:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived