TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Red Line 5w50 OK for 2013 cars?

UKGT500

Sorry folks I'm going to ask a lot of noob type questions since I bought my 2013. I thought I had started to gain quite a bit of GT500 knowledge about my 2007 but this car is something else (apart from the fact it stands me in more money than I have ever spent on a car by some margin...)

Anyway I have used Red Line 5w50 in my 07 but is it OK for a 2013. The Motorcraft 5w50 fully synthetic doesn't seem to be available in my country (UK). RedLine and one other make I can find over here (Millers Oil) the Ford Spec WSS-M2C931-B but not WSS-M2C931-C

Thanks folks. I did attempt to search the forums by the way!

Malc

Ignore me here folks. Just read the GT500 supplement and done more searching and found: WSS-M2C931-B spec, which Red Line meets, is OK.

Malc

Be aware it doesn't say it meets the WSS-M2C931-B spec just popular. Only two oils meet the spec and that is that is the motor-craft and Amsoil.

Be aware it doesn't say it meets the WSS-M2C931-B spec just popular. Only two oils meet the spec and that is that is the motor-craft and Amsoil.

My supplier told me it does meet the B-spec.......so I bought it on that basis. Always used it in my 2007 GT500 but I know the 2013 is a different animal....

Malc

My supplier told me it does meet the B-spec.......so I bought it on that basis. Always used it in my 2007 GT500 but I know the 2013 is a different animal....

Malc

I used Redline 5w-50 for 44,000 miles in my 2011 GT-500 with no problems and have been using it for the last 18,000 miles in my 2014 GT-500 with no problems. Have fun and enjoy. The key is the proper weight.

Anecdotal evidence won't help if you have warranty issues with engine. Id document your issue with Ford about not having motorcraft oil locally and see what they suggest. Where would you bring it for service. Ask what oil andthey'd us,assuming they are certified by Ford for vservice.

My RL 5W50 UOA (Used Oil Analysis) showed an unusually high level of lead after less than 1000 miles. I swapped it out for Mobil 1 5W50 which restored the low lead levels; been using M1 ever since. Marketing hype such as "Popular for" and "Recommended for" the Ford Spec is not the same as compliance with the spec. M1 isn't compliant with the Ford Spec, but it's a good oil and my warranty has long expired.

Edited by 6-Speed

Cheers, I filled up with Red Line yesterday. Glad I read up on the what to expect regarding a Track Pack car. I don't think I've ever known so much oil being needed at change time. Filled up with 7 quarts, allowed to settle on level ground, then added half a quart at a time, warmed it up, checked again.

This car is going to get pampered like my 07 was: this is its' third oil and filter in 8,500 miles.....

Malc

Cheers, I filled up with Red Line yesterday. Glad I read up on the what to expect regarding a Track Pack car. I don't think I've ever known so much oil being needed at change time. Filled up with 7 quarts, allowed to settle on level ground, then added half a quart at a time, warmed it up, checked again.

This car is going to get pampered like my 07 was: this is its' third oil and filter in 8,500 miles.....

Malc

Nice, most definitely enjoy your ride(s) on the Motorways over there. Would love to hit Germany in a GT-500 and cruise the Autobahn. :cool:

Edited by Bill Hamilton

Nice, most definitely enjoy your ride(s) on the Motorways over there. Would love to hit Germany in a GT-500 and cruise the Autobahn. :cool:

Cheers Bill, will probably do a European road trip or two next year. This car eats the miles. Definitely higher geared in 6th than my 07 so great for cruising. Amazing car. Can't believe I was lucky enough to buy it (missed out on a chance on this same car last year but it was a LOT more money then...when this chance came up I threw all I could financially at it.)

Malc