TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Debating on going to Ford with rear end noise..

pgodden

I don't drive my car much, I have only 1200kms on it since I bought it in July 2013. When I originally picked up the car and was driving home down on the highway, I got up to about 60mph and the rear end was very loud. I would say a deep whining droning sound. Anyway I returned to the dealership right away and the service manager said, nothing to worry about it quite normal at highway speeds. Anyway I was reading the forums back then and saw a few posts saying that our rear ends are noisy, so I never thought anything of it just left it. Now, I am second guessing that seems loud and actually not fun to drive on the freeway. Are the 14 rear ends noisy at cruising speeds? Should I have it looked at? Anyone know the best dealer in Calgary to go to?

I am going to post in another forum as well, so sorry if some of you see this twice

Thanks for your help in advance

Yep there have been issues with whining rear ends in 2013 and 2014's. Mine spun a carrier bearing at 8K miles and caused the ring and pinion to go haywire. Took it to the dealer and they put in a new rear end. It's been quiet ever since. I now have 24K. That is BS that they are supposed to be loud. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out. I'm betting its the ring and pinion gears out of whack.

Yep there have been issues with whining rear ends in 2013 and 2014's. Mine spun a carrier bearing at 8K miles and caused the ring and pinion to go haywire. Took it to the dealer and they put in a new rear end. It's been quiet ever since. I now have 24K. That is BS that they are supposed to be loud. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out. I'm betting its the ring and pinion gears out of whack.

When they change an axle assy. out at the dealer level, do they re-print the axle barcode which also contains a portion of the VIN (sequence number) that makes that specific axle assy. the matching number like the original? or do they just install a replacement and the "matching number" axle part of the drivetrain is now gone forever?

Since stamped numbers into the axle tube(s) are no longer used, that original assy. line barcode is the only indicator of "correct original" or not, when searching for a matching number axle.

I was just wondering what they do at the Ford dealership level?

R

Edited by Robert M

When they change an axle assy. out at the dealer level, do they re-print the axle barcode which also contains a portion of the VIN (sequence number) that makes that specific axle assy. the matching number like the original? or do they just install a replacement and the "matching number" axle part of the drivetrain is now gone forever?

Since stamped numbers into the axle tube(s) are no longer used, that original assy. line barcode is the only indicator of "correct original" or not, when searching for a matching number axle.

R

I don't know. I wasn't concerned with matching VIN etc. It was a whole new assembly. Pretty much plug and play.

R

I don't know. I wasn't concerned with matching VIN etc. It was a whole new assembly. Pretty much plug and play.

I was wondering if that barcode is scanned for anything related to warranty etc.? if there are issues during the warranty period, related to the axle or maybe even the drivetrain. I guess the VIN (or the portion that is on the sticker) is that axle tube barcode?

Maybe it means nothing after the assy. line?

I was just interested if they have the ability to replicate that information and did so with the replacement axle install, or if it is gone forever.

R

Edited by Robert M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am on my second clutch and my third rear end. Luckily I have a dealer that goes to bat for the customer. I have less that 2000 miles on the car, and I have only about 25 miles on the last rear end. I plan on driving it under 50 for the first 100 miles, and not for more than 30 minutes at a time. Oh, and no heavy acceleration. This one sounds good, but the last one did too at this point.

I am on my second clutch and my third rear end. Luckily I have a dealer that goes to bat for the customer. I have less that 2000 miles on the car, and I have only about 25 miles on the last rear end. I plan on driving it under 50 for the first 100 miles, and not for more than 30 minutes at a time. Oh, and no heavy acceleration. This one sounds good, but the last one did too at this point.

I have been going to ford dealers in Utah for over 25 years and it always ends the same way for me. It's fixed come pick it up, uhh no it's exactly the same, bring it back and we'll take a look; it's fixed; seriously did anyone even check this?; bring it back. Oh that is normal for this vehicle; no it isn't my neighbor has the exact same car!!! . If you don't want to fix it or don't have the ability, just tell me so I can take it elsewhere, "we get paid to fix it, why would we not want to fix it?" Good question, why don't you then?

They did this again in 2015 and I lost it, I called ford corporate (literally the phone number in the footer of the ford.com) and they assigned me an regional escalation rep that called them out then contacted me every week to make sure they did it correctly. Guess what, they fixed in one trip. Henry day and Lhm sandy to be specific. The best dealer they ever had (fixed it first time every time) was Lapoint in Murray but was closed in the recession.

What dealer are you using?

I would be taking it to another dealer if they can`t install a set of gears as you are on a second set e with really no miles on the car something isn`t right .

• 1 year later...

Well I finally am able to get back online, after getting my car back in the fall I have had it parked. I did take the car to Ford early summer of last year and they found the rear end was bad shot.

Unfortunately the parts were on backorder, not available anywhere in North America and no production date was set. That meant the car had to be parked for over 2 1/2 months, until the parts came in, which was September. I finally had the car repaired just in time to drive it home and park it for the winter.

Today was the first day I took it out for this year, I'm happy to say the rear end noise is gone. The car was fun to drive despite it was just an extended trip to the gas station. I don't think since it was new I enjoy driving it as much as I did, the lack of noise made all the difference in the world.

Happy to hear things worked out, even if it took a while.

To confirm, however, your rear diff was bad off the showroom floor?

Yes, the day I picked it up I thought the rear end was noisy, I even turned around and went back to the dealer to ask. The "Service Manager" went for a ride with me and said "no it's fine, they all sound that way". It bugged me for a long time, wasn't even fun to drive. Finally I went to another dealership, after the original post here, that Servic3e Manager said, no its noisy and had it opened up and looked at to confirm there was a problem.