TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Headers

drshotty

Hi guys. Went with JBA headers and xpipe combo. when i went to install them. The headers don't fit. every hole except one lines up. and I've tried every which way to get the one to fit and it won't.

I've called jba and they won't send me new ones. claiming since I've already tried to install them so it isn't their problem. so the question is. If i make the one hole in the header slightly larger in order for there not to be an offset. and with the bolt still being tightened once i fasten it to the block i shouldn't have an exhaust leak? i honestly don't know what to do at this point without being out 1200$. thanks for the opinions

Is the one bolt hole on the end or one of the holes in the middle? I don't understand JBA's reasoning because how would you know there would be a problem before you tried to install them? If they are indeed mismade then I would be reluctant to try to "make it fit". Unless you purchased these directly from JBA I would return them to the vendor you got them from. For all the effort it takes to install these I would be very upset if they leaked especially after you modify them. If you have your stock manifolds off just line them up against the appropriate header flange. That'll show you right away if there's a problem with the mounting bolt placement or not. GL

So this is why most people have Kooks or ARH............................just kidding.

I don't understand JBA's position, if their product is made incorrectly, they should want to make things right.

One pissed off customer could cost them thousands of dollars via Face Book, etc.

Can you take pictures of the area and contact them again ?

First off...the last thing you should do is try to modify it. Jerry rigging mechanical parts on cars never turn out well...especially when you're talking about a 500+ hp car with some value to the motor.

I'd call JBA (or whatever vender you used) and let them know that there is no way you could have told if it fit prior to trying to install it. If the product is not made correctly, they either need to refund you the money or send you a new one. If they really are telling you to fuck off...that's pretty ridiculous. if they continue down that road I'd start naming off Shelby/Mustang forums you're a part of and let them know you're going to spread the word about this issue.

On a previous car I had a catless turboback exhaust. After about 6 months after I installed the downpipe a crack started to form along a weld joint. I took photos and sent it into the company (Corksport) and they sent me a refurbished downpipe to replace the one that started forming the crack. That's what a good company should do.

If these guys refuse to replace your part just tell them nicely you're going to burn them alive on the interwebz. But whatever you do...do not modify the headers.

Sorry to see your having problems with your headers. I had a set of JBA longtubes on my 05 Mustang GT and had problems as well. After that I never got another set from them. I would definitely try to return them for manufacture defect to whoever you bought them from. Then go get a set of Kooks or ARH headers. I've got the Kooks and love them!

• 3 weeks later...

Update. When i called JBA. they said because they aren't not the manufacturer of the flanges, (they used an outside source company for that part), That if i was to send the headers back. they would just redrill the holes and send me the same ones back all over again, but because of the trouble anytime i purchase with them again i would get wholesale price! HA! So i took it to a known shop. They ended up having to tap the same hole on each side. It finally got put on the car and lord almighty it is loud and i still have my resonators to cut which is only going to get more loud. I would NOT recommend JBA headers or their customer service.

I admire your tenacity in attempting a job like that yourself. Sounds like the outcome worked out however and the shop was able to make them fit.

I am curious if the flange was drilled or punched from the factory. Sometimes even holes that seem way off can sometimes be made to fit if you don't tighten anything till ALL the bolts are threaded in a few turns. All it takes is a little bit of a burr left in the hole to thwart something from fitting right which a little work with a rat tail file might have solved. Not saying that was your problem but for someone contemplating a header install themselves, something to consider. Definitely a tricky deal though as you sure don't want to get a bolt cross threaded in an aluminum head.

Archived