TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drag Racing

Mustang5

Hi, I just wanted to share with you my first time at the strip in my bone stock GT500.

About this time your probably thinking the same thing I was. What the heck is wrong with this thing. I may not be John Force, but I'm not new to drag racing. You don't need look any further then the mph to know this Stang is not putting out the ponies.

Any comments?

How many miles on it? The computer slows the car down until it's broken in. I'm guessing around 1500 miles. My bro-in-law rented a new Mustang with very low miles on it then at the end of the trip he said it had much more power than when he started. I've heard this story a few times as well from other people.

What about this Launch control that has been talked about???

Hi Super Snake, far as I know there is no launch control per se. That is there is no given RPM that we can launch from with the traction control on and get a perfect launch.

How many miles on it? The computer slows the car down until it's broken in. I'm guessing around 1500 miles. My bro-in-law rented a new Mustang with very low miles on it then at the end of the trip he said it had much more power than when he started. I've heard this story a few times as well from other people.
The GT500 does have something Ford calls an alternate calibration. This limits engine rpm to 4000 and does not allow much if any supercharger boost until the car has been driven 5 consecutive miles or has gone through 50 engine start/warm up cycles.

Mustang 5,

Your track times/speeds are very similar to mine in very similar conditions. I've been to Southwestern Intl Raceway (Tucson) and Firebird Raceway (Phoenix) 5 times with my all stock GT500. These two tracks in AZ are at 3,000 ft (SIR) and 1400ft (Firebird) above sea level. Most days/evenings I ran the temp was in the 90's and the pressure altitude was as high as 4000 feet.

I'll admit to being a novice driver, so I'm certain that had some impact on my times as well. My best times & speeds (not on a single run) were: 2.05 60' / 13.48 Qtr mile / 109 MPH. A typical run for me was 2.2 60' / 13.6 Qtr / 105 MPH. I experimented with TCS on and off. Off is best for sure. I also lowered my tire pressures to various settings as well... 27 / 25 / 23 / 20 psi. I've run with light fuel loads (1/4 tank or less) and heavier (1/2 or better) to see if it helped with traction and wheel hop.

I can't speak to the condition of the tracks except to say that I found Firebird to be better (but what do I know...)

Temp & PA have a huge effect for sure. I think most of the Stock 12s runs are at tracks in much cooler temps and lower altitudes. Just my opinion though.

Great runs you had there at Infeneon! I think we'll both get our 12s runs one day!

Keith

Archived