TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Interior Care

BUICK468

For a quick detail I use a interior/leather care product from the ICE line, made by Turtle Wax. it cleans plastic/leather/vinyl, and doesn't leave everything overly shiny and slippery.

Don't ever use ArmorAll, as it clogs the pores in leather then it can't 'breathe'. This causes the leather to get hard and eventually crack.

If you have $$$ to spare, there is a German company called Zymol that makes nice stuff as well. I use this maybe once a year when I do a 'super detail' (usually in the winter when I can't drive the car, but still want to 'play' with it). My brother used to use Lexol on his seats.

there are many options out there.

Z-man

Blue Magic Leather and Vinyl Cleaner. Cleans very well, easy to use, no grease. It also smells very similar to "new car", and nothing else... People often remark to me that my car still smells new... LOL

Jer

Lucas Oil "Slick Mist" is a decent exterior detailer, but Adam's is better.

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-detail-spray-16oz.html?gclid=CJLPzZrKkMgCFYqGfgod3DgClg

Jer

Edited by Jer

So I was able to find Griots Leather conditioner here locally, no luck with the Zymol or some others. The directions said to rub it in and then immediately wipe it off.....which I did...twice. I can barely notice any difference. The seat looks the same. This is a 400 mile car that has lived in the garage its whole life but the interior has never been touched. Am I expecting to much? Should there not be more of a shine?

Thanks,

Leather conditioner dosn't do much on vinyl... maybe that's the case?

Jer

Use a cleaner on the leather first then a conditioner. They do make cleaner/conditioners but these can rub dirt and oils in to the vinyl/leather and clog the micropores. If you are not familiar with a product do a test spot in an inconspicuous area before you do a whole seat. This will let you know if the product you selected will remove the finish, leave a stain or have too much shine.

Most leather used in modern vehicles made after about 1995 use a leather that is vinyl coated. It is really just a small step up from just having vinyl seats. If you have stock seats in your S197 Mustang/Shelby then they are this type of vinyl coated leather. A cream leather conditioner won’t do much good because it won’t penetrate the micropores of the vinyl to get to the leather underneath no matter how much you rub it on or how long you leave it on. A liquid type leather conditioner is best. It will penetrate best if the seats are warm and it needs to be left on the leather for at 5 to 10 minutes to penetrate in to the leather underneath the vinyl coating. It then needs to be wiped off with a clean towel(microfiber). A few light treatments are better than slopping conditioner thickly all over the seats.

I have always used the Lexol products. They are good quality. They have a mostly neutral smell and they are also easy to use. Lexol is also economical and doesn’t leave a greasy film. Adams is also good.

Note: Leather only loses it “new” scent when it is dried out. If you moisturize it with a conditioner that has a neutral smell, then once the leather is conditioned (moisturized) the leather scent comes back and your “new leather” smell will return. If you keep your leather properly conditioned the new smell will stay for a long time.

[...]

I have always used the Lexol products. They are good quality. They have a mostly neutral smell and they are also easy to use. Lexol is also economical and doesn’t leave a greasy film...

[...]

And you'll have that connection with the past: Lexol was de rigueur when the Brits started fobbing off their pre-WWII designs on an unsuspecting but eager US car-enthusiast public.

And you'll have that connection with the past: Lexol was de rigueur when the Brits started fobbing off their pre-WWII designs on an unsuspecting but eager US car-enthusiast public.

You are correct Ol’ Chap. If I recall Lexol has been around since about 1985. I never owned a pre WW2 British automobile but I did buy a used “knackered” 1973 Triumph TR-6 in 1986 to restore and that is when I discovered Lexol. It is indeed good stuff. Lexol saved me from having to spend a small fortune on replacing the leather seats. I instead had the pleasure of spending a small fortune just trying to keep the electrical gremlins away. It was an exceptionally fun car to drive….. when you could actually keep it running.

• 3 weeks later...

For a quick detail I use a interior/leather care product from the ICE line, made by Turtle Wax. it cleans plastic/leather/vinyl, and doesn't leave everything overly shiny and slippery.

Don't ever use ArmorAll, as it clogs the pores in leather then it can't 'breathe'. This causes the leather to get hard and eventually crack.

If you have $$$ to spare, there is a German company called Zymol that makes nice stuff as well. I use this maybe once a year when I do a 'super detail' (usually in the winter when I can't drive the car, but still want to 'play' with it). My brother used to use Lexol on his seats.

Z-man

Z-man

Well crap I've been using armor all for years. The zymol is favorite for the exterior for hand use or 3m polish with a machine. Time to graduate to zymol interior.