TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dumped Kenne Bell in favor of Whipple

smgco

Changed from 3.6 KB to 4.0 Whipple on my 2013 Super Snake. What a great improvement ! More power all across the power band. More drivability and much more intense exhaust note. And best of all the supercharger whistle ( Hamster wheel ) is all but gone. Again what a great improvement !

Congrats.

Built motor ?

Most people like the KB sound ?

What hp did you make with the 3.6, & what do you make now to the wheels ?

Didn't dyno it after the change. However, the improvement is shocking. And again the sound is fantastic especially on the decell that now has some nasty snap, crackle and pop.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

those KB blowers are called Hot Boxes.....even when LC........my bro had one on his cobra and after a dyno pull you couldnt touch the case...it was so hot you could fry an egg on it, the whipple ran cooler, performance all around was better,

if ya have to ask,it was a 03 Cobra with a 2.8 mamouth and went to a 2.9 crusher......

Edited by hot4rd

those KB blowers are called Hot Boxes.....even when LC........my bro had one on his cobra and after a dyno pull you couldnt touch the case...it was so hot you could fry an egg on it, the whipple ran cooler, performance all around was better,

if ya have to ask,it was a 03 Cobra with a 2.8 mamouth and went to a 2.9 crusher......

My 3.6 LC KB is lukewarm after dyno pulls and running on the streets. Can hold your hand on it.

I find this hard to believe,

the power yea I got it, but it runs cooler? I don't buy it. lc cools the snout gears and the cases are aluminum.

the same as the whipples... only difference is whipple have ribs for dispersing heat.

I find this hard to believe,

the power yea I got it, but it runs cooler? I don't buy it. lc cools the snout gears and the cases are aluminum.

the same as the whipples... only difference is whipple have ribs for dispersing heat.

The issue is all of them are cooler at the back............air cooled, fresh air is coming in at the back end. Then the air is compressed (heated) and discharged out of the bottom toward the front. So realistically a S/C can be cooler at the air cooled rear inlet area and hotter toward the middle and at the outlet area toward the front. KB introduced the LC to "also" keep the front end of the blower cooler, more in line with the "air cooled" end at the rear. Having the rear cooled by incoming (non-compressed air) and the front cooled by liquid, the blower retains a comparable temp across the case. If the blower can dissipate heat through the S/C cooling system, that is just another advantage for a cooler blower.

I have heard multiple Super Snake owners also say their LC is warm to the touch, even after being stretched in the rpm range for lengthy periods.

R

well I can tell ya from my experience that the KB just on the rollers after two hits the IAT 200, even went as far as a KC and it dropped by 40 to 160, the whipple would hit 110 after the pulls...

Maybe the LC ones run cooler....this must have been a problem with the earlier ones, thus the reason for the LC units......

Edited by hot4rd

Ok, what was the boost on both. What were the cooling mods on both. That's rediculous.

Both were pullied for 19 psi, KB had the KC installed as the IAT were high on the KB, also had a gords heatexchanger on both, after that we switched to the whipple and dyno'd those were the IAT temps. results

remember these were my results,other may differ.........

Very interesting read. I'll be putting my 4.0 Whipple on in just a couple months now. I had a Kenne Bell on my 07 and really liked it. But ended getting the Whipple this time around. Hoping to have the same results as smgco and hot4rd. Plus I have the whole cooling system done already. Thanks for info guys.

Edited by 05mustangman

• 2 months later...

This is a interesting topic, I guess I would like to see back to back dyno runs from a 3.6 KB vs a 4.0 Whipple, I'm not doubting the Whipple can make big power but I don't see it out performing a 3.6 KB by much if at all. and hey 05mustangman did you ever put that 4.0 Whipple