TEAM SHELBY FORUM

If anyone is interested in a shifter change, the Shelby/Bartons are a Great Price right now!

Robert M

I have been on the fence about a shifter upgrade, the "noodle frame" FRPP was a nice step up from oem in it's day, but it also has issues. The MGW2 is the ticket for current technology and seamless shifting and I had it on my short list of things to buy for about $400. I saw the Shelby/Barton on the SPP website and thought it was cool with the Shelby logo's and chrome Shelby stick, but at $456 I would go the MGW2 direction before the Shelby/Barton........................But then last night the Shelby/Barton appeared on eBay for $275!!

For $275 and a cool looking "SHELBY" logo'ed chrome stick in my Shelby, I'll check it out.............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181856969547?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D181856969547%26_rdc%3D1

I have read many shifter posts over the years, first about the FRPP shifter upgrade, and then the SPP/Drake shifter upgrade, then the MGW1, then the Barton and most recently the MGW2. It seems that the MGW1 has a great reputation, and the guys that are in the Barton world like the Barton, so I thought, why not try it? I know it is not an MGW2, but that chrome Shelby stick has a "coolness" all of its own in a GT500 interior. Finally/hopefully I will have a solid shifter that I can depend upon.............OR, if nothing else, my shifter handle will look Real Cool!!!

R

Edited by Robert M

I would jump on the Barton ... looks awesome and is a great upgrade.

I have been told that the Shelby/Barton is being discontinued (as many other 2007-2009 SPP items are) so once these Shelby logo'ed Barton's are gone, they are gone, and for $275 with Shelby identifiers?? I didn't even think twice..........

I was told there are 12 left (well 11 after my purchase), I see 7 left on eBay, maybe it is only 7 left?

R

Edited by Robert M

I would be interested in a review from someone who has one. Also, what was the original price on these? Another $100 for the MGW2 is not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things if it is better shifter.

There are Barton reviews on many GT500 forums. The original SPP price was $456, that is why I didn't even think about one when compared to a MGW2 at $400. The MGW2 would still be on my list except I like Shelby logo'ed stuff, it gives a unique look when viewed at a car show. If the Barton had bad reviews from people who have installed them over the past 4+ years, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on this one, no matter who's logo's are on it, but that is not the case...............Barton owners have given good reviews of the shifters that they have installed.

The Barton is comparable to the MGW1 from what I have read...............and the MGW1 does not have many (if any) bad reviews that I have seen since the time it came out. I have never read that someone purchased a Barton and had issues and replaced it with a MGW1, but I have read quite a few forum posts of owners who first bought a MGW1 (it came out first) and then tried the Barton when it came out later..............Those owners were also happy with the Barton, equally to the MGW1 or better.

Yes, the MGW2 is the at the top for just $125 more...............but me personally, I like the chrome Shelby stick on the Barton as some added uniqueness. If the Shelby/Barton came with a Barton stick, I would have stayed with my MGW2 future purchase, and at some point in the future, I may buy a MGW2. Maybe a SPP discontinued MGW2 with a Shelby stick?, if they offer that in the future?

R

Edited by Robert M

Here is a 3 year old MGW vs. Barton thread from SVTPerf.com., well before the MGW2 came out..................Many/most of the guys on SVTPerf.com "use" their cars..............some "Really" use them........and the Barton seems to be alright with them?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?875792-barton-vs-mgw&highlight=barton

Post #13 and #26 have some comparison info.

The overall owner reviews seem to be that the Barton is noisier (MGW comes with Dynamat for this issue, Barton does not), and the Barton shifts better/more firm/positive than the MGW1. FYI - The MGW2 also comes with dynamat for noise dampening. When you change out the rubber marshmellow bushings for poly and the hollow noodle shifter frame for billet alum., which is the case with the MGW's and the Barton, the noise is more likely to transfer, so additional insulation is required.

From actual owners, they were not complaining about the Barton, nor the MGW1.

R

Edited by Robert M

Hmmmm...."clearance"

Sorta makes me wonder. Just say'n. :headscratch:

There are many, many items on clearance at Shelby now, they seem to be purging much of the older stuff they carried in the past and narrowing it down to fewer items.

Barton? <<They made the shifter for Shelby...............I have not read negatives about a Barton shifter function?

My question would be...............have they found something lesser expensive that they can make more profit on, so the Barton is dropped/discontinued?

OR, are they now going to carry a MGW2 with Shelby logo's? <<<If this is the case, it will not be a $275 shifter for many, many moons..........

R

Ok. what's on the KR?

For comparison purposes I have added a picture below, the shifter in the front is the first design MGW, very similar to the Barton linked at the beginning of this thread, except the Barton has a very cool Shelby handle, and a oem/FRPP/KR design shifter is in the background with an oem handle instead of the KR handle...........

DSC029261.jpg

R

Edited by Robert M

For comparison purposes I have added a picture below, the shifter in the front is the first design MGW, very similar to the Barton linked at the beginning of this thread, except the Barton has a very cool Shelby handle, and a oem/FRPP/KR design shifter is in the background with an oem handle instead of the KR handle...........

DSC029261.jpg

R

Thx. :salute: Nice post Robert.

Edit- No Epoxy coat on that floor? :lurk:

:hide:

:hysterical:

Edited by BIKEBOY

Thx. :salute: Nice post Robert.

Edit- No Epoxy coat on that floor? :lurk:

:hide:

:hysterical:

Not my garage floor, I grabbed this picture from a forum post because it is a good comparison oem vs. what the aftermarket has offered since that time, and the MGW2 is even a step further in technology.

BTW - Many probably may not have read Tob's oem/FRPP/KR shifter post a while back, but he gathered together an example of each, the 2007-2009 oem GT500, 2008/2009 FRPP/GT500KR, 2010-2012 oem GT500 and 2013/2014 GT500 (and it might have been 2010 only and 2011/1012 were different) He took apart and examined differences and also mounted each shifter on a test transmission to measure the travel (ratio) and found the Ford did experiment with these oem shifters to try to fix the know issues. I'm pretty sure he said the 2010 (or 2010-2012) was the same exact ratio as the 2008/2009 GT500KR shifter, but in a regular GT500 application.

I call the oem/ford shifters "noodle shifters", looking at the picture above, you can se why...........

The Shelby/Barton linked in this thread is not "current" MGW2 technology, I mention that right up front, but there are many Barton owners who still to this day love their Barton's so it "should" be an upgrade over any of the oem noodle shifters, and then there is that Very Cool looking chrome stick with "SHELBY" on it.................Again, Very Cool in a Shelby!

R

Edited by Robert M