TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Smog Check

silly fast

I don't post here much mostly lurk but I had to let you all know about my expriance with a smog check today. I took my car there 2 years ago and the smog guy didn't car about my CAI so i figured that they were cool to just go back and get the smog. Hell no. The guy failed my smog because I didn't have a CARB sticker on my JLT cai. crap. I told the guy that i got it smogged here 2 years ago and it was fine. all systems function as new. all sensors are on. exhaust is strock. only mod is pulley and cai. The guy didn't have the curtisy to just come in and tell me tyhat it wouldnt pass smog and i could go home and fix it and bring it back. He told me it was against the law. Really!!! If you need any car smoged Tri Vally Auto Care isn't the place for you.

Thanks for letting me rant. This was a incredable experance.

Edited by silly fast

I don't post here much mostly lurk but I had to let you all know about my expriance with a smog check today. I took my car there 2 years ago and the smog guy didn't car about my CAI so i figured that they were cool to just go back and get the smog. Hell no. The guy failed my smog because I didn't have a CARB sticker on my JLT cai. crap. I told the guy that i got it smogged here 2 years ago and it was fine. all systems function as new. all sensors are on. exhaust is strock. only mod is pulley and cai. The guy didn't have the curtisy to just come in and tell me tyhat it wouldnt pass smog and i could go home and fix it and bring it back. He told me it was against the law. Really!!! If you need any car smoged Tri Vally Auto Care isn't the place for you.

Thanks for letting me rant. This was a incredable experance.

Welcome to California. Remove the aftermarket intake and return to stock tune. After stock tune is installed you need to clear nine computer checks via multiple "drive cycles" in order to clear the OBD of tampering.

I just put the stock box back on and going to smog it at a different shop. Not going to return it to stock. No need to get into boost so not worried about airflow.

Still had to pay those A/H's for nothing.

It's just a warning how stupid it was in the first place.

If its tuned for a JLT and you return the stock air box it may choke the a/f mixture and throw a check engine light. You should be able to return to the original guy for retest and only pay $9.00....at least that's what my guy did.

No way am I going back to that guy. He couldnt just tell me that it wouldn't pass as soon as he opened the hood. He could have told me to go home and return to stock and bring it back. He was trying to get more money out of me.. I would rather give my money to someone with a little better customer service. What would it hurt to let me know in the first place. I wouldnt be so piss**

Your right. I live in the Tri-Valley area also and I take my Shelby GT to Livermore Auto Center. 9253732840. Talk to Tony and he will look at your ride and tell you before test if he is able to pass it or not. My ride the ShelbyGT has the open element and even Livermore Ford would not do a smog unless I had a CARB sticker. Bull****, Goes to show the Tech's do not know these cars. Even with all proven paper work to support. Tony, your man for smog. Lynno

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issues with my JLT CAI. No CARB sticker, no smog. From the same place that passed it two years ago. I have had a custom red carbon fiber JLT CAI on my 2008 for 5 years - now, from everything I can tell, I need to remove it, and return to stock, or get a FR CAI. Why to I want to add the word Ford to my engine bay? This whole thing is really upsetting.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...