TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How to contact Fords SVT team about shifter problems

DakotaRuss

How should I go about getting some help fixing what has to be the sorriest shifting car I have ever owned. I absolutely cannot make a even half hearted shift from 1st to 2nd under any sort of power without grinding the gears. This is really starting wind my clock up! I know this has been discussed, but is there a sure fix? My car is a 14 GT500 conv and there just has to be a better answer out there. I would like to get something done before my warrenty runs out. Thanks for any help you can give me. Russ

I'm not aware of any 100% fix, but many of us have had varying levels of success by replacing the stock transmission lubricant, upgrading the clutch line to stainless steel, removing the clutch assist spring, and going with an MGW shifter. MGW's current (Gen 2) shifter is probably the most effective, but the Gen 1 remains a HUGE upgrade over the stock piece. You can see Gen 2 pricing via the MGW link I provided. Cruising owner forums like this one, SVTP, and FordGT500 you may find a used Gen 1 somewhat cheaper.

If you're intent on trying to get Ford to do something for you, I wish luck and ask that you let us know if you have any success. Since your car should still be under warranty, you should probably start with a visit to your local dealer.

Edited by Norton

Ford Racing Techline - ( 800 ) 367-3788.........................& let us know your results.

I can't complain about the shifter in my 14 @ this point.

During a clutch replacement on my 11, I had a Barton shifter & CHE K-member brace with torque limiters installed.

...........................( these do add interior noise )

Edited by 1 Alibi 2

Do a search on this forum.when I had my 10 i was the first one to post on the shifter issue

Since then there have been many including one that had a total parts list couple years ago.

I too have a 14 but have forgone power shifting like I used to do on my gto,trans am and other. Muscle cars when I drag raced many years ago.

I just wait a half second before I pull into 2nd and never go over 6000 rpm

Ford will never step up to this and I've read other non Ford forums that have issues with the samectranny.so it'd be a huge financial hit.

Thanks for the replies all. I will pursue the ideas posted and will let you all know what I find out, if anything. Pretty dismal to pay that kind of money for something, and have these kind of issues. Other than that, I do like the car. It really is a head turner, and it certainly does not lack for power. If you could just use it!! :lol:

A couple of ideas for you. I agree with the half second rule, it works every time. Problem is the motor and tranny are twisting slightly in respect to the rest of the car under that full power load, so the shifting linkage is slightly out of alignment and you grind. The shifter "body" attaches to the car, the linkage to the tranny; that said, those stronger aftermarket shifters are basically resisting the tendency of the motor and tranny to twist - putting a huge load on the mounting points where it attaches to the car itself and IMO those points will eventually fail - they were not designed to stop the motor from twisting. I would say change the motor mounts to solid, more vibration I know, or stiffer and that will help. Personally I use the half second method.

But why is it better? What exactly is it doing to shift better? I find it hard to believe the OEM shifter doesn't precisely move the linkage where it needs to go - so given that , the geometry of the OEM and MGW would be the same. The difference is the strength of construction between the two. The OEM shifter is warping, distorting out of alignment with the tranny and you grind. You need to solve the root of the problem or it will over time weaken your MGW and probably wear the contact points and then your next shifter you install will never be tight. So stop the motor movement and you will be OK. IMO.

So does somebody make a solid, or more stable motor mount for the 14 GT500 ? I took my complaint to my Ford dealer where I bought the car last weekend, and they want the car in there this coming Thursday to check things out. I will let you know what comes of it. Russ

If you type in "2014 gt500 stiffer motor mounts" in Google it gives you a site "allfordsmustangs" and there is a discussion about this topic with some great info. I tried to copy the address here, but can't figure out how to do it. Good Luck!

Edited by Dave1968

Took my car back to the dealer yesterday for them to look at. They called me on my cell phone a couple of hours later and asked me to stop out to the dealership to answer a couple of questions. When I got there, they said neither of the techs working on the car could duplicate the problem I was having, and would I drive it and show them what was happening. I took one of the techs with me and drove a couple of miles out of town, made a u-turn in the highway and punched it. When I got the car sort of straightened out I tried to shift to second and it ground the gears. The tech was grabbing for anything he could hang on to and screaming "Jesus Christ". I asked him if he heard the gears grind, and he said he barely could over his yelling but he knew what I was talking about. He then said that they never drove a customers car like that. I replied that I had told them to drive like that to replicate the problem. Long story short, they have documented the problem, but told me to keep driving it, and have reported it to Ford, so really haven't gained a thing. According to their bulletins, the problem only covers up to and includes 2009! So all you people quit complaining, you don't have a problem if your problem and car is newer than that. I am going to try the transmission brace and new shifter and see if that will cure the problem. I thank all of you for your suggestions and help. Russ

Well I was very apprehensive on MGW gen 2 shifter being the answer but I'm happy to say, night and day difference on my 1-2 shift. No more lock out! I was one of those experiencing a 1-2 lockout at RPM >6K 90% of the time. I ran the sh&t out of it with multiple shifts near 7K and there was not even a hint of grind or lockout. I'll wait for a few more drives to call it 100% fixed but this shifter was well worth the money.

Even my mod shop which deals primarily with GM was very impressed. When I showed up he said "I don't know what shift issues you were experiencing before but you don't have any now. This is one of the nicest shifters I've seen. I'm psyched about it"...biggrin.gif