TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1967 Shelby found at the OK Corral

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, just wish it could be me making the discovery/find. :)

Bunch of crap. Somebody sitting on this pile of old junk declares it a "barn find" and all the suckers start slobbering. Ridiculous. The car is a pile of old smelly junk that some fool will spend stupid money to get his hands on and then dump a small fortune on it. What does he end up with? A turd, an old turd at that. These old Mustangs were junk new and will never be any good. They are slow, poor handling, rotten interiors, nothing more than a rattle trap heap of crap at this point.

Bunch of crap. Somebody sitting on this pile of old junk declares it a "barn find" and all the suckers start slobbering. Ridiculous. The car is a pile of old smelly junk that some fool will spend stupid money to get his hands on and then dump a small fortune on it. What does he end up with? A turd, an old turd at that. These old Mustangs were junk new and will never be any good. They are slow, poor handling, rotten interiors, nothing more than a rattle trap heap of crap at this point.

Buster, you are certainly entitled to your opinion...even if it does sound tainted with a bit of envy. However, these are classic muscle cars from a bygone era...properly restored, they are works of art. They are not about being the best handeling, most powerful cars on today's modern road. It is these very cars that have led to the resurgence of the muscle car. As with any type of art, they are not for everyone. But knowing a little about the Shelby story and what these cars did for Ford and the entire muscle car industry, I will continue to admire and covet them. I would trade my mint 2007 for a mint 1967 GT500 in a heart beat.

Its been a while since we had a good troll around here though; maybe he lost his ass on a restoration or something.

Hey, anything is possible; still, even if the article isn't exactly new its cool; I didn't see it until now so it was new to me I guess.

Sorry guys but I busted my knuckles on those old rust buckets for 15 years. We did a couple superb restorations and a few drivers. In the end all you really have is a car that looks cool but really sucks in every other way. Been down that road many times and know more about it than most of you. Trust me, ain't worth it. Go buy a late model or new SVT class Mustang, put the key in it and run circles around all those smelly old jack ass carts. They are nothing but junk, some of the worst garbage ever to come out of Detroit.

Sorry guys but I busted my knuckles on those old rust buckets for 15 years. We did a couple superb restorations and a few drivers. In the end all you really have is a car that looks cool but really sucks in every other way. Been down that road many times and know more about it than most of you. Trust me, ain't worth it. Go buy a late model or new SVT class Mustang, put the key in it and run circles around all those smelly old jack ass carts. They are nothing but junk, some of the worst garbage ever to come out of Detroit.

Its obvious you weren`t around in the 60`s

Its obvious you weren`t around in the 60`s

As if you would know that. I was around in the 60s as a kid if that actually matters here.

You obviously disagree with my appraisal of 60s Mustangs. Trust me Pal, you would know what piles of crap the cars were/are if you had ever gone beyond oil changes, brakes,or other back yard, handy manjobs. There is not one single nut bolt or screw on these cars that I haven't turned more times than I can remember. I know them inside out, backwards and forwards. The cars suck and were just plain junk brand new.

Ya think you know more than me? Answer this, When did a six bolt bell housing replace a five? Sure you could look it up but if you need too then you don't know 1% of what I do Jack!

As if you would know that. I was around in the 60s as a kid if that actually matters here.

You obviously disagree with my appraisal of 60s Mustangs. Trust me Pal, you would know what piles of crap the cars were/are if you had ever gone beyond oil changes, brakes,or other back yard, handy manjobs. There is not one single nut bolt or screw on these cars that I haven't turned more times than I can remember. I know them inside out, backwards and forwards. The cars suck and were just plain junk brand new.

Ya think you know more than me? Answer this, When did a six bolt bell housing replace a five? Sure you could look it up but if you need too then you don't know 1% of what I do Jack!

Not sure what your game is but to answer your question I believe it was changed in 64 & they went from 3/8 bolt to 7/16 bolts on the 6 bolt

Yes I have worked on many early Mustangs myself but back then I didn`t consider them crap & junk .

Not sure what your game is but to answer your question I believe it was changed in 64 & they went from 3/8 bolt to 7/16 bolts on the 6 bolt

Yes I have worked on many early Mustangs myself but back then I didn`t consider them crap & junk .

It was '67.

I didn't think they were junk at first either. You work on enough of them and you eventually come to the realization that they were terrible cars from the start, shamefully bad pieces of crap that rotted away before your eyes.

It was '67.

I didn't think they were junk at first either. You work on enough of them and you eventually come to the realization that they were terrible cars from the start, shamefully bad pieces of crap that rotted away before your eyes.

Well there ya go my memory is not as good as I thought , its been a long time .

I guess you could say that at least they were better than those god awfull Mustang IIs that followed, now those were just plain retarded!

As I said earlier...you are entitled to your opinion...and I have to certainly agree with you on that one! You might also be right on the mechanics of the earlier Shelbys. I am not even a gear head wannabe, but they sure are beautiful to look at...imho.

As I said earlier...you are entitled to your opinion...and I have to certainly agree with you on that one! You might also be right on the mechanics of the earlier Shelbys. I am not even a gear head wannabe, but they sure are beautiful to look at...imho.

For sure. Agree with you on the looks of these old Mustangs. Some of the coolest looking cars of all time. I just would never want to own another one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my initial assessment was probably wrong, seems like he knows what he's talking about actually. I must say this, while the cars I desire are all very much modern I also think, as someone who has not owned a classic Mustang, I would very much jump at the chance. If it goes south maybe I'll learn, but I would never take anyone's word for it to not own one until I get the chance. It's more of a stubborn thing on that side though, ha.

That said, my Lincoln is officially able to have antique status ie its becoming a classic. There are some days that I am just furious with it and borderline regret keeping it. It passes, and I am not a mechanic so that doesn't help. Still, its a pain.

Well my initial assessment was probably wrong, seems like he knows what he's talking about actually. I must say this, while the cars I desire are all very much modern I also think, as someone who has not owned a classic Mustang, I would very much jump at the chance. If it goes south maybe I'll learn, but I would never take anyone's word for it to not own one until I get the chance. It's more of a stubborn thing on that side though, ha.

That said, my Lincoln is officially able to have antique status ie its becoming a classic. There are some days that I am just furious with it and borderline regret keeping it. It passes, and I am not a mechanic so that doesn't help. Still, its a pain.

Thank You, It has been a while since we had a 60s Mustang apart and I have forgotten many of the tricks and nuances of these cars. Trust me, if you haven't been around the block with this kinda stuff before don't get your feet wet with an old Mustang as they are a total PIA, cool to look at but nothing but pure junk. Your Lincoln brings back some very fond memories. Brought my one and only child home from the hospital in that very car, 25 years ago. It was the identical color. Ya really don't see many on the road any more do you?

Edited by buster

Shelby001, you were correct when you stated that the 5 to 6 bolt bellhousing switch was 1964.it was indeed 1964, to be more specific it occurred around august/Sept of 1964 as Ford was changing from the 260 to the 289. it was done to reduce vibration and noise transfer. Your memory did not fail you. The person that asked this question ended up answering his own question incorrectly by saying it was 1967. This 1964 switchover from 5 bolt to 6 bolt bellhousings is also not some rare piece of knowledge. Just about anybody who has restored an old mustang or two that was produced in late 1964 knows of this issue and it was published in a lot of the old mustang mechanic manuals. There is also many discussions about this bellhousing issue online these days in various mustang forums.

Edited by mhr1961

Shelby001, you were correct when you stated that the 5 to 6 bolt bellhousing switch was 1964.it was indeed 1964, to be more specific it occurred around august/Sept of 1964 as Ford was changing from the 260 to the 289. it was done to reduce vibration and noise transfer. Your memory did not fail you. The person that asked this question ended up answering his own question incorrectly by saying it was 1967. This 1964 switchover from 5 bolt to 6 bolt bellhousings is also not some rare piece of knowledge. Just about anybody who has restored an old mustang or two that was produced in late 1964 knows of this issue and it was published in a lot of the old mustang mechanic manuals. There is also many discussions about this bellhousing issue online these days in various mustang forums.

Interesting. We had '65, GT, factory 289 hipo(271HP), solids/ dual points, correct exhaust manifolds etc. Factory car and the block was mated to a 5 bolt bell housing. Splain that one.

That is easy to explain. I never said that ford never made a 289 5 bolt. What I said was that in august/Sept of 1964 as ford was changing from the 260 to the 289 they went from a five to a six bolt bellhousing. They did so to reduce noise and vibration. Ford quit making the 289 with a five bolt pattern some time in the latter part of august 1964. There was then the august/Sept 1964 changeover period to use up existing inventory of 260s and 289s with 5 bolts and integrate the 6 bolt 289 in to production and phase out the 260 5 bolt and 289 5 bolts in the Mustang Production lines. So yeah during those couple of transition months and maybe a month or two after that a combination of 260 5 bolts, 289 5 bolts, and 289 six bolts got shoved in to Mustangs. After that point in time, all 289s for the Mustang were then 6 bolts. One should remember that Ford was producing an unprecedented 50,000 Mustangs per month and barely keeping up with demand and in some instances they were even robbing engines from Falcon and Galaxie production to try and keep up with demand. Hope that helps "splain" it in more detail for you.

Edited by mhr1961