TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Latest Shelby

buster

Just wondering what opinions are here regarding the new GT350s that have begun rolling off the assembly line at Flat Rock. The GT350/R is a thing of beauty but will lack the big time punch or balls of the late model GT500s. The automotive press is really slobering over this one as some kind of a budget road course animal. My '08 GT500 with its cast iron boat anchor mill and front end bias "handled" well enough for me and anyone else I know. Just wondering what you guys think will happen to GT500 values short term with this new kid on the block. Personally I'd prefer the mega powered GT500 but what do I know.

As a car collector guy I can tell you it takes a generation for cars to start being collectible. They just have made too many of gt500 to approach being collectible imo. I sold.my 10 last year for 20k less than I paid for it. But sold a 65 gto rarebmodel for ,50 more than I paid for it 25 years ago

As a car collector guy I can tell you it takes a generation for cars to start being collectible. They just have made too many of gt500 to approach being collectible imo. I sold.my 10 last year for 20k less than I paid for it. But sold a 65 gto rarebmodel for ,50 more than I paid for it 25 years ago

Sixteen years of age is the average bottoming out point for most cars, before value trends back upward. Several factors-condition, mileage, collectibility etc. effect the lowest point they reach during that sixteen year time period.

Somehow I just think it'll take a little while longer than a generation for a Yugo go be considered collectible.

Somehow I just think it'll take a little while longer than a generation for a Yugo go be considered collectible.

LOL! Good one. Most banks back in that era would not even finance those things. I can remember them going through the auctions with no bid. Total failure of an automobile. It will be interesting to see what the low end scrap cars from China will be.

Many in the collector car market no longer use age as the or rarity alone as value factors. Cars usually depreciate as soon as they leave the dealer lot. A collectable is one that by many standards is worth more years after purchase (years vary) than when new. The 2011-12 Shelby GT350 hovers around that higher value. The GT500 is a bit less due to volume of 47,000+ units over the 2007-2015 period.

The new GT350 is a different animal in terms of drivet5rain, engine and brake system engineering. Seeing the Ford display with the three R models, tech kiosks and detail information has convinced me of the differences. It really does have the wow factor from Ford. That said, I plan to keep my 2011 street burner from SA and pass on the new GT350 from Ford for now. The only high value ones will be the limited 2015 ones as Ford plans to build an awful lot for 2016 and beyond for now.