TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2015 Team Shelby Nationals/mini Nats 30 - Recap

MMcGuirk

What an event!

We would like to thank all of you who attended this year and a real big shout to all the volunteers who made it all happen!

The event drew 300 registered cars for the open track, drag racing, the car show and the wine country cruise. Most all had a guest with them and by my estimation(including the spectators, vendors, etc,) we had 850 to 1000 attendees.

The weather was incredible and smiles were on faces were everywhere.

Our biggest flaw was the food quality at Friday night's BBQ. It was not very good. The raceway grants exclusivity to one catering vendor and we were stuck. I have discussed this with the caterer and the track management. We will vastly improve the offering next time

Ford sent us a 2016 GT350R for everyone to drool over.

Shelby American, Hillbanks, Cortex, Mike Maier, Maximum Motorsports, Denbeste Motorsports, Griggs all had great displays.

Shelby showed us the 50th Anniversary Daytona coupe - spectacular!

We had the original 1965 Shelby GT350 + GT350R design and development team in attendance - The Venice Crew

Led by Jim Marietta, Chuck Cantwell, Peter Brock, Michael Sangster, Jerry Schwarz, Ted Sutton, Bernie Krezschmar, Allen Grant They entertained us all weekend with fascinating stories and anecdotes from 50 years ago.

For those who missed this event this year - there is always next year! We will post up the date as soon as we know it!

Glad to hear it went well, despite the issue with the BBQ (up to one thousand attendees and 300 registered cars -- not bad at all!). Look forward to seeing some pictures / videos of the event, in particular of the Venice Crew, 50th anniversary Daytona coupe, and the 2016 GT350R :)

I told my daughter Marina that When I was Her age, I could not have even dreamed of being at an event like this with all my dream cars, let alone getting to ride on a real racetrack with a professional driver at race speeds! Marina and her boyfriend Justin really wanted to come with me, and The Gentlemen at Shelby American took them out on the track in the New Supersnake and Shelby GT and they had a thrill of a lifetime, Thanks Guys! Now she wants to trade in her 2011 Mustang convertible for a New Supersnake?

• 2 weeks later...

That's a 1966 fastback that I built for a guy here in San Jose back about 12 years ago which now belongs to another guy named Mike who lives here in the bay area.

Yes he was pretty quick getting things sorted out. I think had I held the side by side line up through 3 I could have put him behind me going into 4 but then I would have had him hounding me the rest of the race exhibition event as he was a tad faster. I didn't really have the courage to chase it up that hill tho so it was all his. He did a good job and it's a beautiful car.

Edited by Wingrider

Mike's been around for a while - he ran another 66 fastback (white w/blue stripes and 351W motor) years ago in the SFR SCCA Vintage races and then owned and drove a Historic NASCAR (#8 Raybestos Thunderbird) in the West Coast HSCRA. He has/had a Spec Miata and then picked up the Emberglow / copper fastback. It has a T.O.E. small block engine and a Jerico transmission. Not to spill the beans here but it has some suspension tricks done to it. Mike has fun with it and is a true Mustang fan. FYI

Repost from the MiniNats video request forum- a video I finally got sorted out of the first advanced session running the NASCAR configuration Friday Morning. Everybody on cold tires and a couple adventures are to be seen even after folks settle in.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Nice video - nice line - good driving ! Excellent time !

Aw shucks! Thanks for the feedback! You and I need to figure out how to be on track at the same time and see if I can try to keep up with you!

Edited by Wingrider

Aw shucks! Thanks for the feedback! You and I need to figure out how to be on track at the same time and see if I can try to keep up with you!

Well, you did get past Fadi in the FR500S (152) and the SRF near the end of the video and they were behind me at the start of the morning session on Friday in Blue group so you probably were coming up on me. The grey Sacramento Mustang car in front of you at the end of the video was trying to chase me down in the first run and then got me in the second session when I was playing for the cameraman (he wanted pics of going up on two wheels so I felt obligated ;) ). Maybe we can play together at Thunderhill on the 5 mile course at the NORCAL SAAC Fall Classic!