TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American & Team Shelby At Saac-40 (Aug. 20Th - 22Nd)

Z-man

This year the national SAAC convention is taking place at Pocono Raceway. It’s only a few weeks away, starting on Thursday, August 20th and going through Saturday the 22nd. SAAC has extended their ‘member’ registration pricing to all Team Shelby folks as well. However, if you want to participate in the open track portion of the event (both the road course and the tri-oval will be used), you will need to sign-up for SAAC membership due to insurance reasons.

If you don’t want to track your car, there is a Poker Run on Thursday, parade laps, social events, and a car show in Saturday, as well watching the other cars on track. There is an Indy Car race on Sunday, but a separate ticket (purchased directly from Pocono) will be required for that race. SAAC has set up the event registration as ala-carte, so you can pick and choose which portions you want to participate in, and only have to pay for what you select.

We were just informed last week that Shelby American will be attending the event, and will bringing one of their cars to show at Pocono. TSNE will be joining with them, and invites you to participate as well. Please respond to this post letting us know that you will be attending, and we will post any additional information here to keep you up to date on the festivities.

Pre-registration has closed, but you can still attend and register when you arrive. If you intend to participate in the open track events, I suggest you send an e-mail to SAAC to inquire as to availability. For more info and to contact SAAC, here is a link to the event…

http://www.saac.com/?page_id=1188

Hope to see you there!

Z-man

Edited by Z-man

Thanks Z-Man!!!!

This is one of those things I would like to do, heck Pocono is only 30 miles from my house. My problem like all other things that require advanced planning is the weather. Isolated storms are one thing but three days of rain will keep me away. We'll be in touch!

Thanks Z-Man!!!!

This is one of those things I would like to do, heck Pocono is only 30 miles from my house. My problem like all other things that require advanced planning is the weather. Isolated storms are one thing but three days of rain will keep me away. We'll be in touch!

Doug -

You can register at the gate the day of the event. If you want, you can even purchase your admission one day at a time. Let me know if you have any questions.

Z-man

Hope to see you there!

Doug -

You can register at the gate the day of the event. If you want, you can even purchase your admission one day at a time. Let me know if you have any questions.

Z-man

Hope to see you there!

Hey Z-man.... I assume that the "road rally" shown on the schedule on Thursday from 2-6 is really the Poker Run. Where do we register for said Rally, infield or front gate? if I have to pay for track admission just to register I won't be real happy, not that I am anyway.... Same goes for Saturdays car show.... I see it's at the track but where? I suppose I can find that out on Thursday but I thought I would harass ya anyway!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug -

I sent you an e-mail (not a PM) with the latest update bulletin from SAAC, and have asked your question if registration for the 'overall' convention is needed to participate in the Poker Run and the Car Show.

I have also pasted the link to the bulletin below....

http://www.saac.com/files/newsletter/0815/0815-1.pdf

Z-man

Strange....

When I click the new link (even checked the one included in my reply) I get a SAAC update bulletin.

I did hear back on your admission question. Because the Poker Run starts inside the track, and the car show is also inside the track, you will need to purchase track admission at $20/person/day as well as Thursdays Poker Run and Saturdays car show at $20/car each.

Z-man

Strange....

When I click the new link (even checked the one included in my reply) I get a SAAC update bulletin.

I did hear back on your admission question. Because the Poker Run starts inside the track, and the car show is also inside the track, you will need to purchase track admission at $20/person/day as well as Thursdays Poker Run and Saturdays car show at $20/car each.

Z-man

The link works now, but it didn't the other day.... oh well, carry on!

Will be there with about ten others from Hawaii. AT least three Shelby. Just did Monterey Historic. Nice Shelby Store and SA rigs with great display of SA 50th Annv. Daytona Coupe, new Shelby GT and Super Snake. Gary P. busy with many dropping by tpask questions. Nice big Ford display with a couple of new 2016 Ford GT350. Off to Pocono for SAAC-40 now.

Edited by 66GT350PS

^ Fantastic!!!

Please make sure to stop by and introduce yourselves. We are trying to get all the Team Shelby folks to park in the same area.... where that specifically will be is TBD.

At another SAAC convention I met a couple from Hawaii who drove an original Shelby Cobra. It was white and had extra louver vents in the hood. I believe their Cobra was the highest mileage documented one still being driven. Would this couple possibly be part of your group?

Z-man

Edited by Z-man

Aloha Mustang & Shelby Club of Hawaii will be in one of the garages. Drop by for some free macadamia nuts while they last. Most of us are SAAC and Team Shelby Members. Look for Hawaii plates on a 2008 white/silver Shelby GT and black Series 8000 Cobra #34 (which has been at driven around all 50 States at least once. Shelby GT driven from Washington, Cobra from San Francisco. 67 GT350 tailored this time from Ohio for car show after recent restoration. My 1966 and 2011 GT350 stayed home in Hawaii as I was too lazy to make the drive.

I will be coming all 3 days, should be fun.

Picked up some new camera gear in the past 6 weeks, Sony A7R-II/A6000 & a bunch of lenses.

Looking forward to seeing the Shelby American Factory Guys again.

20451055229_a606507b31_c.jpg

20605035491_77a97089e0_c.jpg

CaptDave

Capt -

I will be great to see you again. I too have some new photo 'toys' to play with this weekend. I got a Tamron SP 150mm - 600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD lens, and also picked up a really clean used Nikon 80mm - 200mm f/2.8 AF ED lens.

Can't wait to put them to the test at Pocono. I managed to get full media/press credentials for the weekend, including the Indy Car race on Sunday.

Here is a link to the thread about the Tamron lens...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/83094-photography-question-what-zoom-lens-should-i-buy/

Z-man

Capt -

I managed to get full media/press credentials for the weekend, including the Indy Car race on Sunday.

Z-man

My Sony A7R-II hasn't been out for 2 weeks yet. Didn't know if was going to make it. B&H shipped my camera on the first day, 8-5-2015.

Is the Press Pass a big thing here at Pocono, am I too late?

CaptDave

I would guess you are too late on the media credentials. I've been working to get mine for the past three months, and only got the verification this morning.

I can't say how much of a big thing they actually are, as I've never been to Pocono Raceway before.......but I hope they are a really big thing! I'm excited to have them and am looking forward to being close to the action.

Edited by Z-man

Z-Man

Are you just going to Pocono, or the Hotel?

I'm just doing the track, for now at least.

Also: when you try to find me, I'll be the ONLY guy with the new just released Sony A7R-II.

I should be easy to spot!

(Bringing 8 Sony Camera Batteries & 4 64GB SD Cards, do you think I'll need more?)

20599828975_1a6c4ac88a_c.jpg

CaptDave

Edited by captdave

Capt -

We (Mrs. Z and I) are doing the whole event including the Saturday night concert at the track (the Guess Who will be performing, then a fireworks display), and the Indy event on Sunday.

We couldn't get a room at the Kalahari at the SAAC rate (I waited too long and wasn't willing to pay the standard rate), so we are staying in the area but will be attending all the events at the Kalahari.

SAAC posted that if you are registered for the event, but not for the Friday night dinner, you are still welcome to show up after dessert to sit in for the talks and presentations. The key note speaker is Pete Brock.

I'll keep an eye out for you and your new Sony gear (looks like a lot of buttons and switches to learn 'on the fly'), and I think you hove it more than covered with your batteries and SD cards.

Z-man

Aloha Mustang & Shelby Club of Hawaii will be in one of the garages. Drop by for some free macadamia nuts while they last. Most of us are SAAC and Team Shelby Members. Look for Hawaii plates on a 2008 white/silver Shelby GT and black Series 8000 Cobra #34 (which has been at driven around all 50 States at least once. Shelby GT driven from Washington, Cobra from San Francisco. 67 GT350 tailored this time from Ohio for car show after recent restoration. My 1966 and 2011 GT350 stayed home in Hawaii as I was too lazy to make the drive.

I'll make sure to walk through the garage area looking for you guys. Wouldn't be surprised if one of you wins the 'long distance' award.

We will be parked somewhere in the infield area, but not in the vendor area. Shelby American wanted to park with the rest of our cars, so look for a small tent with a brand new prototype Shelby GT parked in front of it. The car is bright yellow with a black hood...kind of hard to miss. All Team Shelby members are invited to park with us in that area.

Z-Man

Are you just going to Pocono, or the Hotel?

I'm just doing the track, for now at least.

Also: when you try to find me, I'll be the ONLY guy with the new just released Sony A7R-II.

I should be easy to spot!

(Bringing 8 Sony Camera Batteries & 4 64GB SD Cards, do you think I'll need more?)

20599828975_1a6c4ac88a_c.jpg

CaptDave

Capt -

We (Mrs. Z and I) are doing the whole event including the Saturday night concert at the track (the Guess Who will be performing, then a fireworks display), and the Indy event on Sunday.

We couldn't get a room at the Kalahari at the SAAC rate (I waited too long and wasn't willing to pay the standard rate), so we are staying in the area but will be attending all the events at the Kalahari.

SAAC posted that if you are registered for the event, but not for the Friday night dinner, you are still welcome to show up after dessert to sit in for the talks and presentations. The key note speaker is Pete Brock.

I'll keep an eye out for you and your new Sony gear (looks like a lot of buttons and switches to learn 'on the fly'), and I think you hove it more than covered with your batteries and SD cards.

Z-man

Well I fully expect a report WITH pictures (to prove it happened)...... :waiting:

^ My right hand trigger finger in in a splint today, as over the four day event I took approximately 1200 photos. There is much editing to do, but I will start posting some of the better pics shortly. It was a great event, and except for some heavy rain on Thursday (especially during the Poker Run). the weekend was beautiful.

One of my favorite parts was when I was on the pit lane photographing one of the drivers donning his helmet and getting last minute instructions from his crew. I had 'tunnel vision' as I watched through the lens to snap the shutter at just the right moment to get the best shot. When I was done, and took the camera down from my eye, I looked to my right, and we standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Mario Andretti. My other favorite part of the weekend was spending a little time talking with Pete Brock.....what a super nice guy (also met his wife and their dog).

Z-man

It was a good time. The poker run was a fun 70 mile ride through some great back roads even with the rain. Saturday was a good time with all the cars and walking up and down pit row during the Indy car practice. Got to spend time with Pete Brock talking Daytona's. He even got in my Daytona and signed the dash.

It was a great weekend.

SAAC was a blast. The volunteers did one heck of a job to coordinate so many events. While I saw a number of TS cars, I only had time to say hello to a few fellow members. Pat gave one heck of a ride in his 2012 GT350 blue convertible. The dyno sheet showing 831 RWHP was spot on when he put the pedal down. Amazing drive train and engine upgrades.

The show of classic Shelby power on the carpet at the dinner and Pete Brock's emotional speech was overwhelming, even to those have been to many SAAC events and also heard Pete speak before. He was also all over the track area checking out the cars and friendly talking win everyone he passed.

It was too bad that the SA factory gang couldn't make it. But they were worn out from Tulsa then NorCal Mini Nate at Sears Point then Monterey Historics.

Edited by 66GT350PS

Well I fully expect a report WITH pictures (to prove it happened)...... :waiting:

You asked for it...

Here is the first set. I wanted to see how my Indy Car photos would turn out, so I edited some of them first (no Shelby's in this batch). If you watched the race, or follow motorsports at all, you know of the unfortunate incident involving Justin Wilson that occurred late in the race. Please see this thread for a tribute to Justin. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/88988-rip-justin-wilson/

Now for a few (well, maybe more than a few) photos.

d0c53635-7c28-4553-a4af-a0a51d53d8c3_zps

WGC_8027_Darkroom_zpstfqq44mv.jpg

WGC_6823_Darkroom_zpslbq4clei.jpg

46cf4c46-2bac-40cf-8eac-9bd829e4d24b_zps

WGC_8209_Darkroom_zpsyxn1bbqs.jpg

WGC_8202_Darkroom_zpsmzgbxuy7.jpg

WGC_8173_Darkroom_zps3q680sbb.jpg

WGC_8172_Darkroom_zpse45gsizl.jpg

WGC_6862_Darkroom_zpsrh116cyr.jpg

WGC_6968_Darkroom_zpszve4n2ue.jpg

WGC_7156_Darkroom_zpsgo7cbcd1.jpg

WGC_7192_Darkroom_zpshfarlpju.jpg

WGC_7229_Darkroom_zpsni6aiyri.jpg

WGC_7235_Darkroom_zpsy4id7hgl.jpg

WGC_7244_Darkroom_zps0na89dnw.jpg

WGC_7278_Darkroom_zps13mqcapa.jpg

WGC_7305_Darkroom_zpsroy4cj0o.jpg

You asked for it...

Here is the first set. I wanted to see how my Indy Car photos would turn out, so I edited some of them first (no Shelby's in this batch). If you watched the race, or follow motorsports at all, you know of the unfortunate incident involving Justin Wilson that occurred late in the race. Please see this thread for a tribute to Justin. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/88988-rip-justin-wilson/

WGC_7278_Darkroom_zps13mqcapa.jpg

Probably one of if not the last picture of Justin.... RIP