TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Heroic Tale At Pearl Harbor

I came across this and thought some of you might enjoy it. If you've seen it, well, no harm done in my book! :salute:

P-40's at Pearl Harbor

Here's a short video about two American P-40 pilots who were able to get off the ground at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

Cool video. Thanks for sharing. The P40 was the best plane we had at the time, but no match for the Zero. Makes their achievement even more impressive.

If you ever make the trip to Hawaii, be sure to take in the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island besides visiting the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial and U.S.S. Missouri. It is in tow of the original hangers that still bear the bullet holes from Dec 7. My uncle had the task of being a pilot of one of the two fabric lined scout planes with no armament from the U.S. carrier group out of San Diego that was on its way to Pearl. He flew into the mayhem at the end second assault. The carrier group was under radio silence. His plane got torn apart by friendly fire and could not land and returned to the group to let them know about the attack.

Edited by 66GT350PS

No matter how many times I've been to Hawaii and its a lot, I go to Pearl Harbor every single visit. Spend a few minutes out at the Arizona Memorial and you'll understand

If you ever make the trip to Hawaii, be sure to take in the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island besides visiting the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial and U.S.S. Missouri. It is in tow of the original hangers that still bear the bullet holes from Dec 7. My uncle had the task of being a pilot of one of the two fabric lined scout planes with no armament from the U.S. carrier group out of San Diego that was on its way to Pearl. He flew into the mayhem at the end second assault. The carrier group was under radio silence. His plane got torn apart by friendly fire and could not land and returned to the group to let them know about the attack.

My wife and I did our (probably) once-in-a-lifetime trip, and saw the places you mentioned. Seeing the actual bullet holes/etc. in the hangers was...WOW!

• 2 weeks later...