TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Castrol Titanium 5W-50

I finally got an answer from Castrol as to exactly how the new Titanium Edge Syntec Castrol 5W-50 is different than the normal Edge Syntec 5W-50 that I have been using the past 90K miles...and still don't burn any oil at all at 140K miles total.

Here is the email response...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

contactus@bp.com

July 15 2015

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM Technology 5W-50 has a boosted level of zinc, circa 1250 ppm.

That said, Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM Technology is three times stronger against viscosity breakdown than the leading synthetic and leading conventional oils.** The unique titanium technology physically changes the way oil behaves under extreme pressures doubling its film strength*, preventing oil from breaking down and reducing friction to maximize engine performance.

* Castrol EDGE with Fluid Titanium has twice the film strength of our previous formula based on the HFRR friction test.

** Tested in 5W-30 versus all major conventional brands, Mobil1 and Mobil1 Extended Performance in the ASTM D6278 test.

So I purchased Two more (well almost two i.e. 10 qts) changes worth today at O'Rilleys with K&N filters for $82 total for both. I still have three more Castrol Syntec 5W-50 oil changes in stock so I should be set for a couple of years at least, especially since I am not commuting anymore. Probably a lifetime supply now.

I really like the Edge Syntec but of course I have not run any tests on the oil. However since I am at 140K miles and not burning any oil at all that means it is at least OK!?

I will hold off on using the new "Castrol 5W-50 Titanium Edge" oil until the three "In Stock" Syntec changes have run out.

What is the feeling on the forum about miles between changes?...And is it different when the car is being driven 25k miles a year or just 2K miles a year? I.e. at least on oil change per year regardless of miles? I was doing a change every 6K miles which was every three months or so but during the past two years of "forced retirement" I am only doing about 2K miles per year. (Hopefully the Silicon Valley economy for Analog/Audio engineers will improve sometime soon...but not likely.)

Best Castrol 5W-50 2007 GT500 Regards,

Mark / MSB Mustang

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Just hit 170K miles and things appear to be good engine wise.  Still does not burn any oil at all.  Sticking with the Castrol 5W-50 but the new Titanium stuff for high mileage cars since they stopped making the Syntec.  See my email from Castrol above about the newer blend. They say it is better. I am putting on 12K miles a year now and I hope I make it to 200k miles before a new engine is required.  Have no idea what that would cost?

Changing the read diff fluid and both belts this week while I am off.  Not sure if I should rebuild the rear diff at 170K miles?  Should I order one of the newer rear diff covers with the heatsink fins?  

Best CA "high gas tax" Regards,

MSB Mustang / Mark

• 3 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2015 at 7:25 PM, msbmustang54 said:

I finally got an answer from Castrol as to exactly how the new Titanium Edge Syntec Castrol 5W-50 is different than the normal Edge Syntec 5W-50 that I have been using the past 90K miles...and still don't burn any oil at all at 140K miles total.

Here is the email response...

contactus@bp.com

July 15 2015

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM Technology 5W-50 has a boosted level of zinc, circa 1250 ppm.

That said, Castrol EDGE with Fluid TITANIUM Technology is three times stronger against viscosity breakdown than the leading synthetic and leading conventional oils.** The unique titanium technology physically changes the way oil behaves under extreme pressures doubling its film strength*, preventing oil from breaking down and reducing friction to maximize engine performance.

* Castrol EDGE with Fluid Titanium has twice the film strength of our previous formula based on the HFRR friction test.

** Tested in 5W-30 versus all major conventional brands, Mobil1 and Mobil1 Extended Performance in the ASTM D6278 test.

So I purchased Two more (well almost two i.e. 10 qts) changes worth today at O'Rilleys with K&N filters for $82 total for both. I still have three more Castrol Syntec 5W-50 oil changes in stock so I should be set for a couple of years at least, especially since I am not commuting anymore. Probably a lifetime supply now.

I really like the Edge Syntec but of course I have not run any tests on the oil. However since I am at 140K miles and not burning any oil at all that means it is at least OK!?

I will hold off on using the new "Castrol 5W-50 Titanium Edge" oil until the three "In Stock" Syntec changes have run out.

What is the feeling on the forum about miles between changes?...And is it different when the car is being driven 25k miles a year or just 2K miles a year? I.e. at least on oil change per year regardless of miles? I was doing a change every 6K miles which was every three months or so but during the past two years of "forced retirement" I am only doing about 2K miles per year. (Hopefully the Silicon Valley economy for Analog/Audio engineers will improve sometime soon...but not likely.)

Best Castrol 5W-50 2007 GT500 Regards,

Mark / MSB Mustang