TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rpm 1-2 Lockout

grobertx

I know this issue has been brought up time and time again but here it goes again.

Today was the last straw for me. Had some Lexus sport coupe next to me and all I had to do was get into second to blow his doors off... did not happen. I was pissed! I'm not saying I'm Jeff Gordon but I am 50 years old and have driven performance cars with standard transmissions since I was 16...

1st off I should not have to spend $500 for a shifter and another 2-3 hours of labor to consistently shift from 1st to 2nd but...

Has ANYONE successfully went from (50-80% occurrence rate)high RPM 1-2 lockout to fixed minus the rare mistake by a dealer repair or after market solution?

Honestly I think I would sh&t a brick if I go to the trouble of replacing a shifter, oil, line Etc. and still end up with this issue. Quite frankly this is bullsh%t! I wanted this car all my life. Finally at a point where I can walk in and buy it on the spot and I end up with this... Looking for real solutions. I even thought about calling SVT to see what they say.

I have a 2011 Super Snake (MGW shifter) without any issues what so ever(transmission, clutch, grind, etc.) 10,000 miles and everything is flawless at 800 HP. You are a victim of the Ford bean counters with a pos shifter. Had the same issue in a previous Mustang in 2001.

I know this issue has been brought up time and time again but here it goes again.

Today was the last straw for me. Had some Lexus sport coupe next to me and all I had to do was get into second to blow his doors off... did not happen. I was pissed! I'm not saying I'm Jeff Gordon but I am 50 years old and have driven performance cars with standard transmissions since I was 16...

1st off I should not have to spend $500 for a shifter and another 2-3 hours of labor to consistently shift from 1st to 2nd but...

Has ANYONE successfully went from (50-80% occurrence rate)high RPM 1-2 lockout to fixed minus the rare mistake by a dealer repair or after market solution?

Honestly I think I would sh&t a brick if I go to the trouble of replacing a shifter, oil, line Etc. and still end up with this issue. Quite frankly this is bullsh%t! I wanted this car all my life. Finally at a point where I can walk in and buy it on the spot and I end up with this... Looking for real solutions. I even thought about calling SVT to see what they say.

I could not agree with you more! I HATED spending money on stainless steel lines and a quality shifter, both of which SHOULD have come with the car from the factory.
Even having done both, I can't claim 100% success. I can slam any gear except second EVERY time. Before the shifter and SS line upgrades, my success with second was ~50%. After the upgrades, I'd rate it ~90%, with lockout being more likely at increased RPM and shift "speed".
Before installing the upgrades, I was nervous about missing second during any kind of "spirited" driving. Installing them allowed me to enjoy the car and even have some fun at the drag strip. Should we have to pay "extra" for that? No way! Would I do them again? Definitely!

Thanks fellas, I guess I'll do it (MGW 2) but it still chaps my as$...

I get the shifter issue looking at its design with mounting to the car not directly to the transmission. Hard flexing leaves it miss-aligned. However there is more to it than that or the beast MGW 2 would eliminate the problem all together.

Now I get alot of you guys don't have this issue so you think its the driver or we are exaggerating the issue however, for those of you that FREQUENTLY get locked out (not just grind) at 2nd this is a MAJOR issue. SVT should be able to identify the cause / solution and fix it for those of us that ran out and spent $70K based solely on the highly touted HIGH performance of this beast... still a Shelby / Ford fan though...

Had 3rd gear lock out in the previously mentioned 2001 Mustang GT at WOT only, but almost every time. Your stock stamped steel housing shifter is flexing enough to physically not let you go in to 2nd gear. The after market machined thick housing fixes your issue when professionally adjusted on install. You will enjoy driving your car with full confidence that you can rely on. Not to mention of possibly saving future transmission and clutch repairs. I know at 70k it should of came that way, but that's why I never drove my car as a stock GT500. Ford engineered the car to make more money on aftermarket parts.

I watched MGW's install video. Looks like a pretty beefy shifter. So how is it helping this problem - I'm not sure why. If we deal with flexing, the car is basically static and the motor/ tranny is trying to rotate. A stronger shifter would help hold the tranny from rotating and thus the action would be straight on when shifting. This would put lots of stress on the contact points on both the shifter and car/motor etc.. Eventually these points may be a problem. I could see it working the crap out of the arms and mounts on the car and something would have to go - I think. What about trying to minimize rotation with stiffer motor mounts. That might achieve the same thing. Or maybe the stiffer mounts and the shifter together.

I find if I let off for just that milisecond and then shift, it works great, but yah, just try to "slam" 2nd from 1st and there is a grind.

Maybe a call to SVT would be a good idea anyway. They might help fix it or at least provide any explanation as to why it is like that.

I watched MGW's install video. Looks like a pretty beefy shifter. So how is it helping this problem - I'm not sure why. If we deal with flexing, the car is basically static and the motor/ tranny is trying to rotate. A stronger shifter would help hold the tranny from rotating and thus the action would be straight on when shifting. This would put lots of stress on the contact points on both the shifter and car/motor etc.. Eventually these points may be a problem. I could see it working the crap out of the arms and mounts on the car and something would have to go - I think. What about trying to minimize rotation with stiffer motor mounts. That might achieve the same thing. Or maybe the stiffer mounts and the shifter together.

I find if I let off for just that milisecond and then shift, it works great, but yah, just try to "slam" 2nd from 1st and there is a grind.

Maybe a call to SVT would be a good idea anyway. They might help fix it or at least provide any explanation as to why it is like that.

Well now that you mention it, my Super Snake has billet motor mounts. You may be on to something as it may be both the shifter and stiffer motor mounts allowing my trouble free shifting.

• 1 month later...

Any one have 5th gear lock out issues at high rpm on track ? Mine does with

MGW gen 1 Royal Purple in it

Thankfully, never. The ONLY lockout issue I've ever experienced with mine is 1st-to-2nd. Installing an MGW shifter, stainless clutch line, and Amsoil ATF solved about 90% of that.

Not a MGW2, but here is a MGW1 side-by-side with the oem 2007-2014 "noodle shifter", quite a difference.................

DSC029261.jpg

If any of you have followed Tob's threads on the GT500 forums, he is a wealth of knowledge on engineering and has done some exhaustive research on the GT500 shifter's, all of the oem changes that Ford made between 2007-2014, and some of the more common aftermarket shifters, MGW and Barton in particular..........His thoughts about the shifters (pre-MGW2) is that the technology incorporated in those earlier shifters is "polishing a turd", yes the MGW1 and Barton are better shifters, because of structural upgrades, but they are a "polish" on the same oem Ford turd technology. The MGW2 solves issues that would never be completely solved by just "polishing the turd", as he puts it.

R

Edited by Robert M

So your saying in order to shift a transmission your shifter has to be built like a brick sh#t house? I don't believe it - I still say you are not solving the root of the problem. i.e. motor/transmission rotating the shifter out of alignment - change your motor mounts!

This is a duplicate post as I posted it on another thread regarding the same issue but:

I was very apprehensive on MGW gen 2 shifter being the answer but I'm happy to say, night and day difference on my 1-2 shift. No more lock out! I was one of those experiencing a 1-2 lockout at RPM >6K 90% of the time. I ran the sh&t out of it with multiple shifts near 7K and there was not even a hint of grind or lockout. I'll wait for a few more drives to call it 100% fixed but this shifter was well worth the money.

Even my mod shop which deals primarily with GM was very impressed. When I showed up he said "I don't know what shift issues you were experiencing before but you don't have any now. This is one of the nicest shifters I've seen. I'm psyched about it"...biggrin.gif

So your saying in order to shift a transmission your shifter has to be built like a brick sh#t house? I don't believe it - I still say you are not solving the root of the problem. i.e. motor/transmission rotating the shifter out of alignment - change your motor mounts!

Nope, the brick sh#t house shifters only fix the initial issues, rubber mounting points (good for oem noise reduction, sucks for positive shifts) replaced with solid poly bushings on the brick sh#t house shifter and solid shifter body and frame/legs as opposed to cheap oem production hollow tube construction which benefits Ford (cheap), but flexes and again causes shifting issues that are magnified with the previously mentioned rubber mount points. <<<But all of this is not totally "fixed" with the original brick sh#t house shifters, much of the shifting issues were fixed, but not all................Then enters the latest brick sh#t house shifter, the MGW2. <<The MGW2 has all of the previous shifter upgrades plus it addresses the original problem of shifter ratio, the thing that Ford changed multiple times between 2007 and 2014 trying to get the right shifter movement/travel to gear actuation inside the transmission. The latest technology of the MGW2 was focused on the ratio and gear engagement, which was the continuing issue with all of these shifters previous to the MGW2. Also with the MGW2 are some other shifter function upgrades that were not present on the previous shifters.

R

Edited by Robert M

If you would like an informative oem shifter read, check this out.............

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?953804-A-tale-of-two-shifters&highlight=frpp+shifter

If you would like some additional informative reading, here is more, but related to the brick sh#t house MGW2...........

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1074257-MGW-Gen2-A-Closer-Look&highlight=mgw2

R

Edited by Robert M

That all sounds good, however you have to address the root of the problem. See the other topic and look at the trans brace. THAT solves the problem; better motor mounts will also augment that; period. Both shifters move the tranny guts where they need to be - you have to address the real problem.

That all sounds good, however you have to address the root of the problem. See the other topic and look at the trans brace. THAT solves the problem; better motor mounts will also augment that; period. Both shifters move the tranny guts where they need to be - you have to address the real problem.

There are many owners who have now installed the MGW2 in their 2007-2014 GT500's, many/most with original drivetrain mounting points, I have heard zero complaints on any of the forums with the performance of the MGW2 shifting, even under drag race conditions, except one owner who complained of noise, he sold that MGW2 to another forum member who also added his comments to the same thread from the original noise concern, that second owner said he had no noise issues at all. So far, the shifting trouble seems to following the shifter design, according to MGW2 owners posts?

....................and before the MGW2 there were some owners who had installed the solid engine mounts for installation of the taller 3.6LC KB, there was no mention of that fixing any shifting problems, that I read.

One thing I do remember altering the shifting issue at the drag strip was the WOT box. <<That box affects engine timing or something and in turn changes the power on the engine at wide open throttle which in turn affects the speed of the transmission during shifts. <<This did affect the shifting issue in a positive way according to the guys who drag race their GT500's, but it is not fixing the problem.

Please link the trans. brace thread, I am always interested in reading more.

In the "old days" all shifter function was attached to the transmission and it's tail shaft and later it was bolted directly to the top of the transmission, but still all "to the transmission only" and then coming through the floor to the driver. To start with, having the front half of the shifter (rubber mount points) attached to the transmission and the rear half of the shifter (also rubber) attached to the underbody/floor is not the best set-up in my minds thinking, and overcoming "that" design issue but still keeping it functioning in-place is the hurdle that the shifter manufacturers have attempted to overcome.............And then a flexible "noodle frame" shifter in the mix between the drivetrain and under body attachments...........It's a Great set-up for being assy. line cheap, and also Great for keeping noise low in the passenger compartment............

R

Edited by Robert M