TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spanking A Dead Horse

I seem to be getting a very different mix of answers when asked about Competition Street drag radial rear tires.

So to get the real skinny on a answer I'll ask the members here who know the correct answer.

I have a 2011 Shelby GT 500,still running stock 20" wheels and the pre-oiled Goodyear F-1's or so it seems to me everytime mash the gas.

I want to keep the matching 20" wheels.

My question to you guys.

What is the stickiest,best hook-up tire I can buy for the rear end of this beast .

I would like manufacture name and tire size that will fit under wheel-wells with out moving the shock mounts.

I'm sorry I have spent hours trying to find a simple one answer to my question on this forum with out much success.

Thus the Spanking a dead horse .

Respectfully WelderBob

New Boston Mi. 48164

I now run the Nitto NT05R's in the stock size on my car and these hook like glue. They have 315/35/20 size, slightly taller and wider than stock 285/35/20.

http://m.nittotire.com/racing-tires/nt05r-dot-compliant-competition-drag-radial-tire/

Or, Mickey Thompson has a new E/T Street Drag Radial SS in 305/35/20 that might work.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetSS

Edited by Secondo

• 10 months later...

Secondo,

"I now run the Nitto NT05R's in the stock size on my car and these hook like glue. They have 315/35/20 size, slightly taller and wider than stock 285/35/20."

Thank You Secondo:

A couple of weeks ago I followed your advise and had the Nitto NTO5R (now called Nitto 555R) installed.

Wholly-Smoley sticky Oh Yea ! I used the same size you mentioned 315/35/20.

I didn't realize the HP until it would hook-up.

It did change the speedo +2 mph. Clearances are plentiful could of went one size up on width but I really don't think that's necessary.

For those of you looking for better grip I recommend the Nitto 555R tires mentioned above a little pricey at $850 a pair but I promise once installed,,, the first time you punch it and your stuck to the back of your seat the money you just spent will not bother you,,instead you'll be grinning from ear to ear..

Thanks Again all Members of this Great Forum

WelderBob

The 315 fits the stock rim width? I have a set of aftermarket 20x10s, how much better would the 315 fit on a ten inch rim? I have a 285/35 Invo on now, and there is zero tire bulge or curb rim protection. Looks kind of funny to me. I'd like to see a meatier tire back there.

Edited by ShelbyGT5HUN

Yes the Nitto 315 fit the 10" rim perfectly.No tire bulge what so ever.

In fact my wife walks by the car everyday (i didn't mention new tires to her) 3 weeks later she still hasn't noticed.

A few of my car buddys have asked me when am I going to put the Nitto's on the Shelby.

When I tell them there on it now I get a big WOW ya can't tell until you look under it from rear end and see increased tire width,

from 10.5" to 12" is enough to see the difference .

If you want meaty plus sticky these Nitto 555R 315/35/20 babies are your answer.Look like the were made for the stock rims which I wanted to retain on the car.

I did leave the stock front tires alone as I'm a straight line street racer.