TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tired Of The Games

Let me start by saying that I am a Shelby owner since 2006 (40th Anniversary 2007 GT500 SuperSnake). I have been a member on this board since before it was a Shelby-owned site (I believe I joined in 2005). I love my Shelby and track it regularly at drag strips and road courses. I have owned mustangs and Fords since I was a boy. I bleed Ford Blue.

I was excited about the GT350R and put myself on the local waiting lists for the car a while ago. I think it will be a special car.

I have been getting frustrated, though. The problem is no one knows anything. None of the dealers I am working with (including a friend who owns 3 Ford dealerships in Colorado) know what the allocation will be or when they will receive. The markups on these cars are projected to be unreasonable. Everyone wants a deposit to hold a spot on waiting list... but there is no end game in sight as apparently Ford is not telling dealers anything.

How many cars will they get? when will they receive? its all in a super secret-vault somewhere at Ford. Why? Why the secrecy? Why the 'exclusivity'? Put the car on the market for a reasonable price where Ford can make a profit and let people who can afford buy the car. Carroll Shelby was not a snob. He wanted his cars bought and driven. This game is getting old.

Now I have never owned a Chevy, but it is hard to ignore the new Z06. 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. approx. 3400lbs. 49/51 weight distribution. sticky tires. 650HP supercharged LT4. Magna ride suspension. It can pull 1.16 lateral G's. 60-0 stopping distance 91 feet. Lap times on par with cars that are twice as expensive.

Looks like I can get one for only slightly more than it will cost for GT350R + ADM markup... and I can order a ZO6 now at MSRP. No drama. No BS. It'll be here in 2 months.

Why shouldn't I get a more track capable car, for close to the same money, in a higher performance league, without all the drama?... I am having a hard time answering this question these days.

Edited by BoneDoc

Dealers claim they are already horse trading GT350Rs dealer to dealer with huge ADMs so it sounds like the allocations have been done. So the guess is if your dealers don't already have a GT350R allocation they aren't going to be getting one.

The Ford dealerships are just hurting themselves by doing this. I liked Dodge's scheme on the Hellcats: You get cars, but you only get more if you sell them fast. So tacking on a huge ADM and having it sit for 6 months hurts noone but themselves. The thing is the GT350R is going to be in high enough demand that there will be an ADM, it's just a matter of how much.

You ain't seen nothing yet: Wait until the Ford GT hits in 2016/2017. Forget a paltry 20% markup. I can see cars going for 2-3X.

Separately, there is absolutely no doubt that the Corvette Z06 is and has been for the past 5 years or more the best sports car deal on the planet. if you want a track car, which is going to, by definition, going to get hurt at some point, why not buy in for the highest performance lowest cost price point? This is my thought for after the GT is gone. A used one and don't worry about getting into the rocks.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Let me start by saying that I am a Shelby owner since 2006 (40th Anniversary 2007 GT500 SuperSnake). I have been a member on this board since before it was a Shelby-owned site (I believe I joined in 2005). I love my Shelby and track it regularly at drag strips and road courses. I have owned mustangs and Fords since I was a boy. I bleed Ford Blue.

I was excited about the GT350R and put myself on the local waiting lists for the car a while ago. I think it will be a special car.

I have been getting frustrated, though. The problem is no one knows anything. None of the dealers I am working with (including a friend who owns 3 Ford dealerships in Colorado) know what the allocation will be or when they will receive. The markups on these cars are projected to be unreasonable. Everyone wants a deposit to hold a spot on waiting list... but there is no end game in sight as apparently Ford is not telling dealers anything.

How many cars will they get? when will they receive? its all in a super secret-vault somewhere at Ford. Why? Why the secrecy? Why the 'exclusivity'? Put the car on the market for a reasonable price where Ford can make a profit and let people who can afford buy the car. Carroll Shelby was not a snob. He wanted his cars bought and driven. This game is getting old.

Now I have never owned a Chevy, but it is hard to ignore the new Z06. 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. approx. 3400lbs. 49/51 weight distribution. sticky tires. 650HP supercharged LT4. Magna ride suspension. It can pull 1.16 lateral G's. 60-0 stopping distance 91 feet. Lap times on par with cars that are twice as expensive.

Looks like I can get one for only slightly more than it will cost for GT350R + ADM markup... and I can order a ZO6 now at MSRP. No drama. No BS. It'll be here in 2 months.

Why shouldn't I get a more track capable car, for close to the same money, in a higher performance league, without all the drama?... I am having a hard time answering this question these days.

Sounds like the Z06 is the car for you if indeed this all true about the G.T 350R, as for the markup its your local Ford dealers & your friend that are responsible for that, not Ford . A friend of mine just ordered one & he didn`t indicate that he had a problem but yes he didn`t have a delivery date as yet.

Guest markham51

There are lots of good cars out there. My suggestion...find one you can take for a test drive (Corvette that is).

This spring I was excited about getting something new...drove a Gallardo 560-4, SL AMG65, etc but none of them got me excited when I got behind the wheel. I have C6 and Camaro SS converts in the garage already so I have filled my Cheby quota already.

If its stirs your soul...buy it!

Thanks for thoughts everyone.

@twobjshelbys I agree. If the GT350R is a sideshow, the Ford GT will be the circus! ...and I don't mind paying ADM- I understand capitalism and owning the GT350R is not a right. But Ford (and their dealers) should at least be able to tell me how many they will get and when. Instead I am told to give them deposit to hold my spot in line, and BTW it could be years before (or if) we get you a car. I get that slow rollouts and mystery increase the buzz around a car, but here it is overkill and they are losing a longtime customer and fan. It is disappointing.

@Shelby001 placing the order is not a problem. I can place an order today for a GT350R. The order will not be picked up until some magical fairy at Ford decides its time. Could be tomorrow... could be 2 yeas from now. No one seems to know. If someone simply told me the ADM will be $____ and you can order your car in ______ and it will arrive in _____, I'd be more willing to play the game. As it is now, it is an open-ended question as to when or if they will arrive.

@Markham51 I have driven the stingray and it is an exciting vehicle. This is essentially same all-aluminum chassis with another 200 HP and Magna-ride. Should be fun.

I'm with you on your train of thought with one exception: The Z06. My issue with Corvette's is you see them every time you leave the house and drive for more than 5 minutes. Not to say they aren't an awesome sports car, but if you're looking for something that will turn heads, the Z06 is not the car. Add to that the demographics of people who buy Corvette's and you're immediately put into "that category" regardless of your age. Personally, I'm looking at Gen 5 Vipers. Carroll Shelby was involved with the development of the Viper so there is history and lineage that involves his legacy and that is always a plus. Equally important is the fact that a Viper WILL TURN HEADS. You just don't see them very often and when you do, it is a special day. Lastly, the Time Attack Viper beat the Corvette Z06 on track and Viper won the IMSA Tudor Championship last year edging out the Corvette team. You can pick up a slightly used or even new Gen 5 Viper for roughly the same cost as the Z06 as well. Just a different opinion to think about. Good luck with your next purchase. I'm certain you'll love it either way.

BoneDoc,

I feel your pain man. I'm coming up on a year soon with my $1000 deposit on an Alfa 4C...same deal, (perhaps maybe worse?). The 4C's are looooong overdue now. All they've shipped so far stateside, are the overpriced, "Launch Editions". Waste of money IMHO. This car is going to be like the 350-R.....driver specific....everything you need, and nothing you don't. The foo-foo Launch cars are all for the garage queen collector.

Look a little deeper into the Z06 before you pull the trigger. There are some early reports of bad paint, and airbag issues that actually stopped production for a time. I also like the Chrysler solution on the Hell Kitty. Ford should do the same. :cool:

@twobjshelbys I agree. If the GT350R is a sideshow, the Ford GT will be the circus! ...and I don't mind paying ADM- I understand capitalism and owning the GT350R is not a right. But Ford (and their dealers) should at least be able to tell me how many they will get and when. Instead I am told to give them deposit to hold my spot in line, and BTW it could be years before (or if) we get you a car. I get that slow rollouts and mystery increase the buzz around a car, but here it is overkill and they are losing a longtime customer and fan. It is disappointing.

I think you missed the point. The order banks have been open since Memorial Day weekend. Any dealer that filled out the paperwork and signed up for the program (there is a fee) will get GT350s. Not so for the GT350R - only select dealers were given allocations (through a lottery). People have orders in for GT350Rs. So if you are hearing from a dealer that he'll take a deposit for a future opportunity he's stringing you along. He:

1. Has no allocation and will go to the open dealer market and try to pick one up if he can trade for and sell for profit above his already over MSRP swap.

or

2. Has sold his allocations and is taking backups in case one falls through.

(or a combination of the two)

In any case, the story you are hearing is from your dealer, not Ford WHQ... Ford manufactures widgets, the factory outlets are responsible for marketing and sales. So I suggest you start calling around to other dealers. Some have mentioned here where they are finding success (for at MSRP).

All of this is what happens when demand exceeds supply.

Edited by twobjshelbys

"Why shouldn't I get a more track capable car, for close to the same money, in a higher performance league, without all the drama?... I am having a hard time answering this question these days."

Because as painful as your current situation may be, settling for something other than the car you have your sights set on (the GT350R) will, in the long run, be more painful. It will not be apparent at first; however you will feel tiny bits of this pain every time you get in and start your ________ (something other than the GT350R) ________ as it will be a constant, nagging little kernel in the back of your mind that reminds you "that you are not driving the GT350R, because you got frustrated and settled".

And, after you've settled for a different car (Z06 or other), once you actually happen to come across a GT350R in person, the pain will reach a fever pitch and it's very possible that your head will pop off your body with regret!

For certain things in life, choosing to settle is often not the best course. For me, in this case, I'd stay the course and focus my energies on how to secure the car you set out to get, the Shelby GT350R!

---------------------

Speaking from personal experience, back in 2010, I had a 2011 Grabber Blue GT500 on order. For 6 months I kept track of the car weekly from order banks all the way through to rail car assignment to dealer delivery date; my kids were excited for me. With 3 weeks to delivery date I got laid of from my job and had to cancel the order (the car arrived 3 weeks later and the dealer easily swapped it with another dealer and the car was gone).

Clearly, with the loss of my job, I had "bigger fish to fry" but I was still disappointed at losing my chance to finally fulfill a childhood dream of getting a Shelby!

Fast forward to 2013 and the local Toyota dealer has a used 2007 white Shelby GT with relatively low miles, in great shape and tasteful mods. I checked it over, did the test drive – I was ready to do the deal (with a trade in it was almost no money owed) But after sleeping on it, I realized that as excited as I would be to finally own a Shelby, it was not a GT500 that I had originally set my sights on and I had this sneaking feeling that were I to come upon a GT500 in person, I might regret that I did not wait to get one (note here that the Shelby GT is an awesome car, just that ultimately it is not the car for me).

I realized that, for me in the case of the Shelby GT500, the pain of settling would be greater than the pain I am experiencing now while I still save the funds to get one!

-Pockdog

All the dealers have their initial allocations by now if they requested to be on the list. One small dealer here is getting one GT350. Another dealer that sells more cars and trucks has been allocated three GT350 and one GT350R. Once Job 1 starts and hundreds of the cars start rolling out, I am sure the allocations will go up a s they did on initial GT500 production in 2007.

As far as the Z06 (great performance car for the price, but the car looks to me like some stepped on a Camaro), I like having the competition of American muscle with it, Ford Shelby GT350, Dodge Hellcat, Viper and whatever else the U.S. can produce in the era of hybrids and electric toys( Tesla, the exception). I say bring them on and let's ride! Porsche, Ferrari and BMW be damned! :cool:

Do not join the dark side stay with the Force

If do not know this already this will confuse your decision as Ford with whatever the number of GT350's built for the model year will make 50 of them 50th Annv. GT350's. I'm not even sure you can order the 50th Annv. version they may randomly show up at dealers? I read this on a document so they may build them or they may not I don't know just repeating what I saw

I could never own the Camaro its just too ugly but I'd never say never on the Challenger

One great option the new Z06 has nothing else has, is the option to go to the Bowling Green factory and actually build the engine yourself. I did that with my 2012 ZR1 (the first time they have ever offered it) and it was a huge blast (for a gear head). After some false starts, they are now offering that option again for the new Z06. And I will tell you my engine has performed flawlessly for over 18,000 miles so far, including a very fast Texas Mile that got me the black 200+ MPH Club T-shirt. How many people can say they built the engine in their new car? And yes, the new Z06 is just slightly faster than my ZR1 but in the handling department, the ZR1 has an edge. And I can tell you not many Z06s are put there either, and they are as different from the base Corvette as the GT350R is from a V6 Mustang. I really doubt the GT350R is going to outperform the new Z06, but I await the road and track tests to see.

Wait until 2017 for your C7 Z06. Go to the forums and read about all the problems owners are having tracking the new Z06. It's not a track car as advertised. I'm not going to get into it....just do some research. Don't trust the lame auto mag reviews. Don't trust GM and all the hype. Just a bad designed supercharged track car. Fox News was testing a Z06 and had the engine let go. Car@ Driver had a C7 engine failure. Buyer beware !!!!

The ZR1 is a much better car.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Corvettes are nice attention getters, but if you need to carry more than one passenger and a briefcase, get a performance Mustang. Room for more luggage to go to car conventions. The closest that you will see a factory tour of Ford performance cars, though not necessarily your own, is Shelby American in LV.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Not trying to bring Ford or Shelby down... as I have been a fan and customer since I was born.

To further illuminate my point, I was recently made aware by the 4 dealerships that I was working with that three of them will not get a GT350R and the 4th will be charging $10,000ADM for the regular GT350... who know what the charge will be for the GT350R?!... if they get one?

These GT350's are gonna be great cars... all I'm saying is for about the same price (with anticipated ADM's included) and less headache, I can stop playing the "Which dealers are gonna get one and what will they charge me?!" game and get into an affordable supercar now without the drama.

Z06 with LZ3 and Z07 race package at MSRP is a good looking car that will hold its own (and then some) at the road course and drag strip. I like the styling of the new Corvette. I am leaning that way. I will keep my '07 Shelby Supersnake and will consider a GT350R in the future if/when the games go away.

@Mach I thanks for the heads up. I was aware of those issues and discussed with the dealer. Their was some overheat issues with the early 2015's thought to be due to a conservative limp mode trigger on the ECU... and this occurred on a hot summer day in georgia. I have not found (and I have looked) any issues since mid production year 2015 and the issue is said to be corrected for late 2015 and up. Having said that, I have had my Supersnake overheat and go into limp mode at the track as well a few times... even with cooling system upgrade... so it is not a brand-specific possibility. The corvette has 100k drive train warranty so If I do run into issues, I'll at least have the warranty to fall back on. I am aware of the issue, though.

@66GT350PS thanks I understand what you are saying but this car will be for sunny drives on the weekends and for use at the race track. I don't have a need for storage space. If I do need big trunk and back seats, I'll drive my Supersnake or my F-150 pickup!

Ron

Edited by BoneDoc

One great option the new Z06 has nothing else has, is the option to go to the Bowling Green factory and actually build the engine yourself. I did that with my 2012 ZR1 (the first time they have ever offered it) and it was a huge blast (for a gear head). After some false starts, they are now offering that option again for the new Z06. And I will tell you my engine has performed flawlessly for over 18,000 miles so far, including a very fast Texas Mile that got me the black 200+ MPH Club T-shirt. How many people can say they built the engine in their new car? And yes, the new Z06 is just slightly faster than my ZR1 but in the handling department, the ZR1 has an edge. And I can tell you not many Z06s are put there either, and they are as different from the base Corvette as the GT350R is from a V6 Mustang. I really doubt the GT350R is going to outperform the new Z06, but I await the road and track tests to see.

This had to be an absolute blast- I wish Ford would come up with a way to engage customers into the build like this.

I think you are making a wise choice, dealers are never the best people to deal with, and when they have something everyone wants, they at their worst. I would not be surprised to see some dealers do a sealed bid auction for their "Rs". It has happened before for the Ford GT, that way they take the highest bid and some people who have deep pockets are crazy to get the next big thing.

I have a 2012 ZR1 and a 2013 GT350 (convertible, wide-body 624HP). People ask me why I don't get a new Z06 or a new GT350, but the Z06 is just not a big step up from the ZR1, and the new GT350 would be a step down from my 2013 in most all ways. But having both really give me a great selection for what to use on rallies, tours, etc. I do not track my cars but do do Texas Mile/drag strip type action. Your combo will be great too. Good luck.

This had to be an absolute blast- I wish Ford would come up with a way to engage customers into the build like this.

It was the most fun I ever had with my clothes on…….. :)

And whenever I drive it, I just feel really proud to know I built it. Sure hope it keeps on keeping on, would hate to lose it…... :lol: