TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Info & pricing on the 6-piston Baer Brakes

Your all way off on Price. this is from their website

Calipers: Baer 6S/6R Aluminum MonoBlock CaliperManufactured completely in-house from a single chunk of forged aluminum alloy, the Baer 6S (Street) and 6R (Race) calipers combine maximum stiffness and fatigue life with minimum weight. They also feature dramatic, ultra-clean, and purposeful looks. Combined with road-going dust and weather seals to maximize civility and manners, both the 6S and the 6R are appropriate for use on the street, on the track, or both. They are, quite simply, world class!

A little background on MonoBlock calipers: If you follow Formula One, NASCAR, World Sports Car, Champ or IndyCar racing, the winning teams employ calipers machined from one piece of exotic aluminum alloy. These calipers are referred to as "MonoBloc(k)" units.

In the rare air of world-class motorsports, MonoBlock calipers carved from a single piece of aluminum alloy are accepted as a must to achieve the best combination of stiffness and fatigue life with minimum weight. The cost of such technology is also accepted as a "necessary evil." Prices start at $2,000 or more per caliper (that´s one caliper, no pads, no rotors), and some combinations of features, such as pistons with thermal heat barriers and so on, can easily exceed $3,000 each. When MonoBlock technology first emerged this may have been a reasonable price, but today with machine tool advances, this has become nothing less than a windfall profit for current manufacturers, as none have changed their prices to reflect the new efficiencies of production.

Baer is the first to bring this pinnacle race technology to the streets at a price point accessible to serious enthusiasts everywhere. We pass along savings gleaned from machine tool advances to our customers without compromising a thing!

6S (SPORT)

The 6S is Robust, Rigid, and now RED with its new hi-temperature red powder coat finish STANDARD! And because of its Forged MonoBlock Construction, the Baer 6S caliper is the stiffest caliper to ever be offered for road-going use, unless of course you include Baer´s own "6R" caliper in your comparison.

6R (RACE)

Spec calipers are suitable for either Sprint or Endurance races. For Sprint duty the caliper is run with both stainless cross-bolts in place, while for Endurance races the cross-bolts are removed and the caliper is run with only the spring retention clip, making pad changes possible in just a few seconds.

here's the link for more detailed info on them

http://www.baer.com/products/calipers/rm/6...files/frame.htm

Your all way off on Price. this is from their website

Calipers: Baer 6S/6R Aluminum MonoBlock CaliperManufactured completely in-house from a single chunk of forged aluminum alloy, the Baer 6S (Street) and 6R (Race) calipers combine maximum stiffness and fatigue life with minimum weight. They also feature dramatic, ultra-clean, and purposeful looks. Combined with road-going dust and weather seals to maximize civility and manners, both the 6S and the 6R are appropriate for use on the street, on the track, or both. They are, quite simply, world class!

A little background on MonoBlock calipers: If you follow Formula One, NASCAR, World Sports Car, Champ or IndyCar racing, the winning teams employ calipers machined from one piece of exotic aluminum alloy. These calipers are referred to as "MonoBloc(k)" units.

In the rare air of world-class motorsports, MonoBlock calipers carved from a single piece of aluminum alloy are accepted as a must to achieve the best combination of stiffness and fatigue life with minimum weight. The cost of such technology is also accepted as a "necessary evil." Prices start at $2,000 or more per caliper (that´s one caliper, no pads, no rotors), and some combinations of features, such as pistons with thermal heat barriers and so on, can easily exceed $3,000 each. When MonoBlock technology first emerged this may have been a reasonable price, but today with machine tool advances, this has become nothing less than a windfall profit for current manufacturers, as none have changed their prices to reflect the new efficiencies of production.

Baer is the first to bring this pinnacle race technology to the streets at a price point accessible to serious enthusiasts everywhere. We pass along savings gleaned from machine tool advances to our customers without compromising a thing!

6S (SPORT)

The 6S is Robust, Rigid, and now RED with its new hi-temperature red powder coat finish STANDARD! And because of its Forged MonoBlock Construction, the Baer 6S caliper is the stiffest caliper to ever be offered for road-going use, unless of course you include Baer´s own "6R" caliper in your comparison.

6R (RACE)

Spec calipers are suitable for either Sprint or Endurance races. For Sprint duty the caliper is run with both stainless cross-bolts in place, while for Endurance races the cross-bolts are removed and the caliper is run with only the spring retention clip, making pad changes possible in just a few seconds.

here's the link for more detailed info on them

http://www.baer.com/products/calipers/rm/6...files/frame.htm

You means these:

Baer Brake Kit

BTW, Retail price is $3095, per Baer. I spoke to them and visited their plant in Phoenix. Baer said this was the set that would be on the SS.

CHA....CHING! Perspective is a good thing Sir! Good research; thanks.

$2,757.11 for (2) 6-piston calipers, w/2-rotors & add $189-$249 for powder coat & that's not bad at all for those high quality brakes. Nice find jimbobbeg! :happyfeet:

Red is the standard color with these calipers. I checked with Baer on that as well. I guess the pulldown is a way for this reseller to add a little profit. Same thing with their stated retail price of $3438.89, when it is really $3095. False discount.

I've researched most of the components of the SS package, and the more I learn, the more value I see in the SS package.

My visit to SAI on Friday only served to confirm that only the highest quality components will be used in the Super Snake. The only compromise I see is the deletion of the CF hood.

You means these:

Baer Brake Kit

BTW, Retail price is $3095, per Baer. I spoke to them and visited their plant in Phoenix. Baer said this was the set that would be on the SS.

NICE .........thanks for the link . I've been out to Baer years ago got some brakes for my T-Bird . Great people ,quality stuff. Good to see they are putting quality into this package. Now if I could only raise the dough. :blink:

You means these:

Baer Brake Kit

This looks like what Amy was talking about, the rotors are bigger diameter 6piston exactly, I can't remember about the back brakes if they are upgraded too, I don't think she mentioned that. With buying the package I wonder if they will be a little lower in parts cost, but of course you are paying to have them installed too.

This looks like what Amy was talking about, the rotors are bigger diameter 6piston exactly, I can't remember about the back brakes if they are upgraded too, I don't think she mentioned that. With buying the package I wonder if they will be a little lower in parts cost, but of course you are paying to have them installed too.

Yes, that is correct.

Front rotors go from 14" to 15". Even though the Baer website says that 18" wheels will work, there could be clearence issues.

Rear rotors retain stock calipers and go from 11.8" to 14" cross drilled.

While I'm sure SAI will get a better deal on the brake sets since they are buying a few hundred sets, I don't expect their price to be any better than another 10-15% off what we can do as individuals. As I've stated before, after researching the quality of the components used in the SS package, SAI profit is not nearly as large as some seem to think. Profit is not a dirty word. I want SAI to be around in the future.

Yes, that is correct.

Front rotors go from 14" to 15". Even though the Baer website says that 18" wheels will work, there could be clearence issues.

Just a quick question I have. On the SS pkg, wouldn't the 18'' wheels be better for track time,gearing,hp,etc, or wouldn't there be a noticable difference between the 18's & 20'' wheels on there? I was just wondering if an 18'' wheel would perform better or not,because of the smaller size and all. thanks, John

Just a quick question I have. On the SS pkg, wouldn't the 18'' wheels be better for track time,gearing,hp,etc, or wouldn't there be a noticable difference between the 18's & 20'' wheels on there? I was just wondering if an 18'' wheel would perform better or not,because of the smaller size and all. thanks, John

I don't know much about road racing. But I believe the 20" wheels on the SS will provide a number of improvements.

As to lap time, I would think the 20s would be better because of a "shorter" tire's sidewall would have less flex and would not roll over like the 18s.

Gearing would only be affected by a difference in tire diameter. Wheel size would have no effect.

The real advantage to the 20" Alcoa wheels will be their lower weight. By reducing the rotational mass of the driveline, more HP will reach the ground. I will also consider changing the driveshaft to carbon fiber to save additional weight. Another benefit of lighter wheels is a reduction in unstrung weight. This will provide handling benefits.

I'm not sure whether or not the Baer kit for the front is heavier or lighter than the stock set up. There will be a weight increase on rear because of the larger rotors.

I don't know much about road racing. But I believe the 20" wheels on the SS will provide a number of improvements.

As to lap time, I would think the 20s would be better because of a "shorter" tire's sidewall would have less flex and would not roll over like the 18s.

Gearing would only be affected by a difference in tire diameter. Wheel size would have no effect.

The real advantage to the 20" Alcoa wheels will be their lower weight. By reducing the rotational mass of the driveline, more HP will reach the ground. I will also consider changing the driveshaft to carbon fiber to save additional weight. Another benefit of lighter wheels is a reduction in unstrung weight. This will provide handling benefits.

I'm not sure whether or not the Baer kit for the front is heavier or lighter than the stock set up. There will be a weight increase on rear because of the larger rotors.

thanks brother.bring on the 20's then! :)

Exactly! And, your point about the drive shaft is a good one as well. I know another member who switched to the one piece shaft (which is straight, of course) and it actually increased driveline efficiency (via the dyno). So there are 2 gains to be made there. All of these incremental improvements to the GT500 should make this one hell of a killin' machine for sure.

Archived