TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rocky Mountain Mustang Round-Up Steamboat Springs

JeffJ

This weekend is the Rocky Mountain Mustang Round-up. I've special ordered some absolutely incredible weather compared to what we have been getting. Picture perfect weekend coming up! Hope to see many there. We have a ton of late model Shelby's (and early) registered out of the just under 500 total Mustangs registered for the weekend. Who all from here will be there? I will have Team Shelby Mountain Region banners available on site. Should be a great weekend!

Some Pics from the RMMR. Out of the just under 500 Mustangs in the show today, we had over 70 Late model Shelby's. There were also over 20 early Shelby's including one of the 17 1965 GT350R models.

RMMR11_zps6tvrx1st.jpg

RMMR13_zpsywhnhsey.jpg

Staging:

RMMR7_zpsqiz3sebh.jpg

RMMR6_zpspg4jzgiv.jpg

RMMR5_zpsguttmzzi.jpg

Show Pics:

RMMR4_zpsrpiwzje6.jpg

RMMR1_zpskzjqhvvu.jpg

RMMR3_zpsgaufwxsm.jpg

RMMR2_zps0gafouid.jpg

RMMR10_zpsz8r2a571.jpg

RMMR9_zpszhnskju3.jpg

RMMR8_zpsopgcyrnq.jpg

RMMR12_zpse3ivv9e0.jpg

RMMR14_zpsxfmb6p4j.jpg

RMMR16_zpsyqxrpnqf.jpg

This weekend is the Rocky Mountain Mustang Round-up. I've special ordered some absolutely incredible weather compared to what we have been getting. Picture perfect weekend coming up! Hope to see many there. We have a ton of late model Shelby's (and early) registered out of the just under 500 total Mustangs registered for the weekend. Who all from here will be there? I will have Team Shelby Mountain Region banners available on site. Should be a great weekend!

I thought they were turning this show into the MCA National that's up that way in July? I will be going to it without a car though as will be in CO checking on property.

The jackasses that delayed caused me to lose the house I was trying to buy

Attention everyone, NEVER use Bank of America for a mortgage!

There are a lot of Shelby's old and new in Colorado that's great to know. Those are great views always wanted to go to that show but will be there next year for sure

Is there anywhere between Co. Springs and Denver that carries 93 octane? The engine in my 73 Mach 1 never gonna run right on 91 and not willing to take that chance wasn't cheap to build a 393ci 351C 535HP which was detuned from 585hp. Yes, I know can use the 91 octane and add the bottle of octane booster but may not always have a bottle of that handy

Jeff: great pictures you made me homesick for Colorado. Trying really hard to make Loveland.

I hope they're paying you a lot of money for your job as moving from CO. to Rockford IL there is no way anyone does that on purpose. We left Rockford in 71 then first time back was 1990 and not much changed at all. There used to be a Drag Strip right outside Rockford my Dad used to drag race there all the time and even many of the NHRA big boys used to race there in the 60's but that track like many done disappeared.

There are a lot of Shelby's old and new in Colorado that's great to know. Those are great views always wanted to go to that show but will be there next year for sure

Is there anywhere between Co. Springs and Denver that carries 93 octane? The engine in my 73 Mach 1 never gonna run right on 91 and not willing to take that chance wasn't cheap to build a 393ci 351C 535HP which was detuned from 585hp. Yes, I know can use the 91 octane and add the bottle of octane booster but may not always have a bottle of that handy

At the altitudes of the front range 91 is the equivalent of 93. The lower oxygen content gives you a 2 point octane gain. The standard octane ratings in the higher elevation areas will be 85, 87, 91. Sometimes you see 89 thrown into the mix.

IMG00303-20090104-1338.jpg

You will also find that 10% ethanol is standard. It used to be seasonal but now it's year round.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Correct. I'm not aware of any 93 in the Denver Metro Area. There are places you can buy 100+ race fuel out of the pump, but 93 is not normal. As Tony states, if you run 93 at lower altitudes, then 91 is all you need here. Cars that call for 91+ stock, are fine with 85-87 here with no detonation problems.

PS.....Tony, how old is that picture? I wish those prices were good today!

Edited by JeffJ

Great pics Jeff and a shout out to Rick and his presence. Now this is a show I could really really like. Maybe next year.

Great pics Jeff and a shout out to Rick and his presence. Now this is a show I could really really like. Maybe next year.

It was great meeting Rick, loved to see that Team Shelby Great Lakes Region banner! One of the Roush Road Crew members received the long distance award from upstate New York. Drove all the way in his Mustang to be here.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a blast and so enjoyed the scenic views.

IMG_7882.jpg

Loved all the Red Stripes

IMG_7749.jpg

IMG_7773.jpg

IMG_7709.jpg

This was 10 minutes from the show.

Steamboat%20Apple%203%202.jpg

Even in a traffic jam the view was great!

IMG_0851.jpg

Edited by 3ponies

• 2 weeks later...

I will be at the MCA show in Loveland next month. Will you be there?

I was in CO this weekend checking on the property so I went up to Loveland on Sat and good thing I looked at everything before it rained. Great place to have a show but I thought there would be a lot more cars. I saw some late model Shelby's including the Shelby 1000 but I was expecting more late model Shelby's and there wasn't. Which one was yours? I think the turnout of vintage Mustangs was poor as crap locations for MCA Nationals had twice as many cars so that was surprising. Its easy to get to CO from many states so I guess if its not in the East than none of those people go anywhere.

What was with that retarded traffic going north up to Loveland and back down to Denver on 25 when there was no reason to be going that slow?

I was in CO this weekend checking on the property so I went up to Loveland on Sat and good thing I looked at everything before it rained. Great place to have a show but I thought there would be a lot more cars. I saw some late model Shelby's including the Shelby 1000 but I was expecting more late model Shelby's and there wasn't. Which one was yours? I think the turnout of vintage Mustangs was poor as crap locations for MCA Nationals had twice as many cars so that was surprising. Its easy to get to CO from many states so I guess if its not in the East than none of those people go anywhere.

What was with that retarded traffic going north up to Loveland and back down to Denver on 25 when there was no reason to be going that slow?

It turned out that I was not able to go. Mother nature has been an absolute psychotic nut job here lately causing my farming to be really tough. I had my hay fields down last week and absolutely had to get them all baled over the weekend before the rains came again. So I was out on my Terlingua Racing Team John Deere working the fields. I-25 is like that every single day now between Ft. Collins and Denver. The population growth has been exponential in the last few years and now the highways cannot keep with the growth. That's just the way it is any more. I have also heard and seen in pictures that attendance was far below expectations. I'm not sure if it was due to all the weather forecasts for the weekend or poor publicity. I don't know.

The crazy weather has made for some great sunsets however. This is from that same night on Saturday.

July2015_zpsam0u6r5u.jpg

It's official!

100_0307.jpg

Yea, I looked at a property in Franktown with 38 acres and huge metal building that would be great to store at least 20 cars, but I'm not a farmer so no clue what I'd do with that much land. The guy next door had a much bigger building and big ol' John Deere. He had a sign Rocky Mountain Hay Company if you know where he's at off Russellville Rd

I seen at least 3 Shelby GT's one Blue and the other 2 White. I saw one Super Snake and the Shelby 1000 which I never seen in person. There were probably 3 late model GT500's but that was it for the Shelby's. Wait, there was a Shelby Hertz too

All these people afraid to go missed a good show as the MCA's are not usually at good locations. I wouldn't even consider going to one that's held in a shopping center parking lot where the heat is absurd. I think this show would have been better in June or late August when most people are not on vacation. However, I know all too well the people in the southeast and northeast never travel far to shows unlike many out west and Midwest who drive to the show

I think my favorite car there was a 66 K-code Fastback in Vintage Burgandy

At the altitudes of the front range 91 is the equivalent of 93. The lower oxygen content gives you a 2 point octane gain. The standard octane ratings in the higher elevation areas will be 85, 87, 91. Sometimes you see 89 thrown into the mix.

IMG00303-20090104-1338.jpg

You will also find that 10% ethanol is standard. It used to be seasonal but now it's year round.

I'm aware of this but the engine in my 73 Mach 1 will ping pong back and forth if not 93 and above. I'd have to use 91 plus octane booster every time. I'm actually moving to Larkspur so I don't expect any places near there with Cam 2 or other hot rod gas

I'm aware of this but the engine in my 73 Mach 1 will ping pong back and forth if not 93 and above. I'd have to use 91 plus octane booster every time. I'm actually moving to Larkspur so I don't expect any places near there with Cam 2 or other hot rod gas

There's a big difference between an old style unassisted engine and the new computer controlled engines with knock sensors. First, your carb'd engine should be rejetted at above 5000'. When we went from Iowa to Colorado every year in the 60's and 70's we always rejetted. Don't depend on octane for proper operation of a carb at high altitude. This was especially important since we spent a lot of time between the west and east sides of Rocky Mountain park with Trail Ridge Road in the middle. 7000-8000 feet at the base on either side with 12k+ in the middle.

Second, for modern engines, how else do you think you can run an engine on E85 and 93 octane gas in adjacent fill cycles? But the reality is that any modern engine, especially from 2005 on, can run on almost any octane safely at street and highway speeds. Sure, don't fill your car with 85 octane and take it on the track, but for "normal" sustained driving, octane is irrelevant. And this is why you should never ever use a higher octane than recommeded by the manufacturer. Virtually every engine made in the us will run fine on 87 (sea level) or 85 (high altitude).

My Cobra with the Roush 427IR (after I got the fuel injection set to handle the altitude) ran great on 91 but didn't do so good at 85. 87 was OK for normal driving but it "felt underpowered" with 87 for spirited driving.

P.S. There maybe should be a topic of "the care and feeding of engines at high altitude" topic, but most of the participants here would care less since their computers just make it work.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Thanks for reminding me about rejetting the Carb., but what I think I will do with this engine is add a FAST unit to it then I don't have to worry. Its a 351C using a 393ci Scat stoker and was dyno'd at 580hp but I had him detune it to 536hp and 530lbs of torq to be more drivable. The engine is so beautiful I didn't even want to put it in the car it looks so good as a display lol

IMG00259-20120626-1759.jpg

It's pure and simple: Congestion, coupled with a very high number of semi-trailer trucks. This is a non-commuting region on very busy roads with a high concentration of tourists on the weekends. Ever been in the bay area? Commuters seem to handle congestion a lot better. Couple that with the region south of Loveland that is only 2 lane and you get a lot of traffic. You're lucky. It used to be two lane to about where E470 meets I25.