TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gauge Pod Option...........

I know some of you have thought about adding a gauge pod to better keep track of what is going on under the hood. Below is a link to a gauge project I did back in January 2012, I was adding an Auto Meter angle ring kit to the 2-5/8" Super Snake gauge pod, since that thread, Shelby has added angle rings as an option for their gauges.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/72495-a-new-angle-for-the-super-snakekr-gauges/?hl=%2Bangle+%2Bgaugesdash

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a more current project...............Some Super Snake owners voiced concern that the Shelby dash pod blocked some vision, I have not experience this in my car but I am a tall guy. Back in 2012 when I was doing research on the angle rings I noticed Auto Meter listed a 2005-2009 Mustang dash center pod with molded angled holes, but it was for 2-1/16" gauges, not the 2-5/8" that Shelby installed in the production 2007-2009 Super Snake. Auto Meter is the vendor who provides the gauges for the Super Snakes and the gauges are from their Carbon Fiber Series.

A couple of years ago I saw a picture of a 2011 Super Snake pillar gauge pod (2010-2014 have pillar mount gauges instead of dash mount) and I noticed the gauges appeared to be smaller. After doing some additional research and getting the correct parts numbers for the 3 Auto Meter CF gauges that are installed in the 2010-up pillar I found that they are 2-1/16"..........Ding, Ding, Ding!! A "possible" lower profile dash pod set up for the 2007-2009 but using correct Auto Meter 2010-2014 Super Snake CF gauges and an Auto Meter dash pod.

For those of you who want to add dash gauges and like options, check it out................

004_zpsabhjhr1t.jpg

^^^^Left is the 2-5/8" gauge project from 1/2012 with the angle rings and Right is the 2007-2009 Auto Meter dash pod with correct 2010-2014 2-1/6" Super Snake CF gauges.

007_zpsbi9goeiu.jpg

^^^^The correct 2-5/8" Auto Meter CS CF Series gauges and pod for the 2007-2009.

006_zpshqd2nth9.jpg

^^^^The correct 2010-2014 Auto Meter CF Super Snake gauges mounted in the 2007-2009 Auto Meter angled hole dash pod.

008_zpst4zb1jlg.jpg

^^^The Auto Meter pod appears to have holes angled a little bit more toward the driver.

I have not removed my original Shelby installed gauge pod and installed the Auto Meter pod to verify "if" there is a difference in height, what you see above is what I know at this point, and it appears to be an option for someone wanting to install a dash pod and keep with the CF gauge theme that is "factory Shelby".

R

Edited by Robert M

Why are the pods I see indicating Boost/Oil/Fuel Press? I personally would like to see Oil Press/Oil Temp/Water Temp. To me, those are the indicators of if the motor isn't happy. Am I wrong or missing something? Additionally, during the day, even with lights on, I can not even see my Boost/Water temp/Fuel/Oil Press gauges in the stock locations. Poor design layout, if you ask me. Is it straight forward to plumb for Oil Press/Oil Temp/Water Temp pod? Thanks.

Why are the pods I see indicating Boost/Oil/Fuel Press? I personally would like to see Oil Press/Oil Temp/Water Temp. To me, those are the indicators of if the motor isn't happy. Am I wrong or missing something? Additionally, during the day, even with lights on, I can not even see my Boost/Water temp/Fuel/Oil Press gauges in the stock locations. Poor design layout, if you ask me. Is it straight forward to plumb for Oil Press/Oil Temp/Water Temp pod? Thanks.

You could install any gauges that you would like in the three positions. The three gauges I have installed are what Shelby felt needed to be installed in these S/C'ed cars, and they could have used the gauges you have mentioned instead. <<I believe the Shelby GT/SC's also got these same Boost and Fuel Pressure gauges as part of their install. If I remember correctly the non-S/C'ed Shelby GT's did get an oil temp and possibly a water temp in place of these other two gauges that you are questioning.

As for adding the gauges you are asking about, the Oil Pressure would install with the adaptor as it does with the set-up I have shown. The Oil Temp. would require a sending unit that attaches in the oiling system (I believe the Shelby road racing pan has the fitting provisions, and there may also be a threaded port near the oil filter), and then the coolant system would need a sending unit placed somewhere, maybe in the original sending unit location? From that point it will be getting the associated wiring from each sending unit through the firewall and up to the dash pod as was done with the cars that got these gauges as part of their install at Shelby.

Now if you REALLY want to keep track of the under hood vital signs...........a three gauge pod on the dash and a two or three gauge pillar array would have you on top of all gauge information.............

R.

Edited by Robert M

• 1 month later...

I have the same 3 pressure guages in the center pod (Boost, oil and fuel pressures). Then on my pilar, I have tempurature guages for Oil, Engine Coolant and Intercooler Coolant. Had to make a way to measure the coolant exiting the intercooler. The oil temp is measured by changing the oil drain plug for a temp sensor. Now I can measure all temps and pressures directly.

Since I have the larger intercooler radiator, I was glad to see that my intercooler temps are just fine.

I have the same 3 pressure guages in the center pod (Boost, oil and fuel pressures). Then on my pilar, I have tempurature guages for Oil, Engine Coolant and Intercooler Coolant. Had to make a way to measure the coolant exiting the intercooler. The oil temp is measured by changing the oil drain plug for a temp sensor. Now I can measure all temps and pressures directly.

Since I have the larger intercooler radiator, I was glad to see that my intercooler temps are just fine.

^^^^^That's nice!

One other thing I found out recently............the earlier 2010-up Super Snakes had the non-Shelby signature 2-1/16 Auto Meter Ultra-Lite CF gauges as I showed above, but apparently there were many who complained and wanted the signature on those smaller pillar gauges, so the newer Super Snakes now have CF signature gauges like the 2007-2009, but in the smaller 2-1/16" size. I believe the boost gauge was also changed to reflect Vacuum and Boost instead of just Boost. I have purchased a set of these newer 2-1/6" Super Snake CF gauges with pillar and am waiting for them to arrive for a comparison..........

R

Edited by Robert M

• 3 weeks later...

Good info

Since the time that I built out the dash pod with the smaller 2-1/16" gauges (as used in the earlier 2010-up Super Snakes), I found out that there was such a large backlash from owners about the lack of a Shelby signature in the gauge face that the smaller gauges were/are later produced with the CS signature. I also noticed that they have been offered on eBay for sale through SPP and they are not offered at all through the SPP website sales.

Here is a picture.........

003_zps2uskuoti.jpg

^^^^^^These cool looking 2-1/16" CS signature gauges will fit in the dash pod option shown below............

006_zpshqd2nth9.jpg

R

Edited by Robert M