TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just Discovered An Inscription On My 20" Alcoa's

ShelbyKR664

Today, I took off my 20" Alcoa's to have them rebalanced. I discovered this inscription on each wheel on the inside edge. I bought these wheels 2 Decembers ago from SA (Jer era) as part of the last 100 sets of "Shelby Forged" verses 50th anniversary or Super Snake.

Are there any others owners who have this on their wheels? Any ideas or thoughts?

alcoawheel2.jpgalcoawheel1.jpg

Edited by ShelbyKR664

Today, I took off my 20" Alcoa's to have them rebalanced. I discovered this inscription on each wheel on the inside edge. I bought these wheels 2 Decembers ago from SA (Jer era) as part of the last 100 sets of "Shelby Forged" verses 50th anniversary or Super Snake.

Are there any others owners who have this on their wheels? Any ideas or thoughts?

attachicon.gifalcoawheel2.jpgattachicon.gifalcoawheel1.jpg

If it can't be explained, it's either Aliens or Bigfoot !

Had my 50th installed this week. The owner of the tire shop called me to back to the install bay and asked me about the inscription on inside of the wheels. He panicked and said "we didn't do that". lol! Will have to contact Jer to solve mystery.

I believe I have seen some engraved letter/number codes on the inner lips of mine.............original Super Snake Alcoa's.

It is probably something done at Alcoa and has nothing to do with Shelby? Just a guess.......

R

Edited by Robert M

I believe I have seen some engraved letter/number codes on the inner lips of mine.............original Super Snake Alcoa's.

It is probably something done at Alcoa and has nothing to do with Shelby? Just a guess.......

R

Makes sense. I wonder if they are number matching sets? I will document mine and post the numbers.

My numbers are as follows:

Die GA023621. AF1247

G6SK98 #111 build date 8/29/2011

G6SL02 #87 build date 8/24/11

G6SU65 #145 M7. Build date10/11/11

GASU47 #116 WL build date 8/29/11

No ryhm or reason. Looks like Alcoa employee markings. At least I have two wheels built on the same day.

• 3 weeks later...

My numbers are as follows:

Die GA023621. AF1247

G6SK98 #111 build date 8/29/2011

G6SL02 #87 build date 8/24/11

G6SU65 #145 M7. Build date10/11/11

GASU47 #116 WL build date 8/29/11

No ryhm or reason. Looks like Alcoa employee markings. At least I have two wheels built on the same day.

It might be inspector/inspection markings from the Alcoa plant also?

R

You mean you guys have found the long lost "limited, limited" edition of the Alcoa wheels with the hand carved inscriptions? :worship: They should have their own place in the registry. Say hello to the latest Alcoa value bump $$ :lol:

Edited by Hlyshft

• 2 weeks later...

Alcoa does the inscribing prior to heat treat . This helps them keep track of the wheels. I bitched about this when I bought mine and ended up talking to Alcoa. Actually I sent a nasty gram to Alcoa about the crude manner of inscribing the wheels and I got a call back from the Alcoa's Q&A department and the procedure was explained to me by one of their engineers.

Here is my original post.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78629-new-alcoa-wheels/?do=findComment&comment=1388749

Edited by Snoopy49

Snoopy49- thanks for the update. I figured as much. Based on your original thread, some wheels got it worse than others. I agree, a very amateur way to keep track of a premium wheel.

Snoopy49- thanks for the update. I figured as much. Based on your original thread, some wheels got it worse than others. I agree, a very amateur way to keep track of a premium wheel.

It looks like an electric engraver was used, it operates like a pen, and the person writes/engraves as if they were writing. What a small/odd area to write/engrave info. No wonder it looks the way it does.

R