TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gt350 Order Banks Opened

I knew that car would be your "style". :)

We all know your dislike of that model, you've made that clear many times.

80's Mustang GT's were very popular and faster than the competition. This nice 1984 example is no exception. You snob your nose at it. It is what it is.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all know your dislike of that model, you've made that clear many times.

80's Mustang GT's were very popular and faster than the competition. This nice 1984 example is no exception. You snub your nose at it. It is what it is.

Fixed it for 'ya, you're welcome.

Jeebers !

We just had a long 2 day discussion about all this, with new and old Shelby owners, at our MCA Regional. We all really enjoyed the perspectives of everyone. We are passionate car people, and partisans when it comes to which cars we like best, and that is very good and healthy, IMO.

CS was long dead when his estate sold the rights for Ford to use GT350. And CS never "gave" Ford anything , they always paid well to use things associated with him and his legacy. Ford learned their lesson on this when CS sued their socks off for trying this mess:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-0008-1984-20th-anniversary-ford-mustang-gt350-classic-car-review/

Just correcting your grammar and obviously faulty knowledge of Shelby history, you're welcome.

That's not correct. Carroll signed a licensing agreement with Ford for them to use the GT350 nameplate. Just want to keep things factual. Carroll not only knew about the Ford built GT350 but gave Ford his blessing to do so.

Steve

You're on a roll, Mike, what else are you going to correct us with and come up with this time?? :hysterical2:

Then why was the news release so much longer after his death? Was this information withheld for a reason?

EDIT: It's OK Steve, you don't have to answer that sensitive one, it was a "rhetorical" question.

Part of the agreement Carroll made with Ford was for SAI to stop building "our" GT350 but I don't think we (SAI) ever released an official reason for stopping the SAI GT350 build but Ford's GT350 announcement in 2014 explains why SAI stopped.

When the agreement was signed it was expected that Ford would start building a 2015 GT350 in the fall of 2014 but that timeline didn't end up working out.

Steve

Part of the agreement Carroll made with Ford was for SAI to stop building "our" GT350 but I don't think we (SAI) ever released an official reason for stopping the SAI GT350 build but Ford's GT350 announcement in 2014 explains why SAI stopped.

When the agreement was signed it was expected that Ford would start building a 2015 GT350 in the fall of 2014 but that timeline didn't end up working out.

Steve

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that: So there were two "tells" = Shelby no longer doing GT350, Ford no longer doing GT500. I don't have a crystal ball but I didn't have to hard to figure out what was going to happen. There were some subtle references to licensing agreements made at that time as well. I also recall those "leaks" saying that Ford would not do GT500 + GT350 at the same time again, which is why the speculation of a new GT500 is unlikely, but rather would be a resurrection of another Ford brand like Mach 1.

I think Car and Driver had it right when the rumors were started in June of 2013, more than a year after CS died:

"Though it bears the Shelby name, this is the creation of Ford’s SVT group. It’s more the spiritual successor to the recent and beloved Boss 302 than the most recent Shelby, that ground-thumping supercharged beast known as the GT500. So why call it a Shelby instead of a Boss or a Cobra or a Mach (or a Sprint or a Ghia or . . .)? Because attaching the Shelby name allows Ford to charge more."

But now Ford gets it both ways, they call it a "Cobra" and a "Shelby"……. :)

Guest markham51

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that: So there were two "tells" = Shelby no longer doing GT350, Ford no longer doing GT500. I don't have a crystal ball but I didn't have to hard to figure out what was going to happen. There were some subtle references to licensing agreements made at that time as well. I also recall those "leaks" saying that Ford would not do GT500 + GT350 at the same time again, which is why the speculation of a new GT500 is unlikely, but rather would be a resurrection of another Ford brand like Mach 1.

Makes sense. If Ford can keep the latest GT secret I am sure they can do the same with Shelby Mustangs particularly in the early stages.

Thanks Steve, so if you can, please tell us what date it was that CS himself sold the rights to Ford for the GT350 name and endorsed Ford to build it? I know this is also very sensitive, so feel free to decline.

I'm not sure "sold" is the right word to use for a licensing agreement.

I'd prefer not to go into any further details on the Ford contract. The main point to be stressed is that Carroll knew about and approved a Ford built GT350.

Steve

Yup the signs have been out there along with a previous road map from 1968-70 that seems deja-vu.

Steve

I'd prefer not to go into any further details on the Ford contract. The main point to be stressed is that Carroll knew about and approved a Ford built GT350.

Steve

Royalties ! Royalties ! Royalties !

Steve

Thanks Steve, I figured even the date this allegedly happened would also be sensitive.

I get it now. You guys are just having a little fun with each other. At first I thought you were both serious !

Well yes and no, I think we have some strong disagreements about what we like in cars. But again they are just cars and that is not serious anyway, at least to me.

No, Mike, you are wrong again. It's you and a few cynic's proven wrong words here, along with a misinformed writer of a Car and Driver magazine article apparently (they love to start controversy), against Ford, Carroll Shelby, Rick Kopec and the true enthusiasts here.

Yup the signs have been out there along with a previous road map from 1968-70 that seems deja-vu.

Steve

Hey, the business plan worked in the late 60s and 70s. Of all the non-Shelby Mustangs, the 69 and 70 Mach 1's are my favorites.

I watched on very fast forward the Mecum auction (they've been dribbling it out) and there were some really sweet 68 and 69 GT350s to be had for a really good prices.

Steve

That is really profound. It speaks volumes about the situation now. Except unlike 1968-70, now Ford is finally rid of the old man and they have all the names, status, power and charisma, and he is not coming back,….ever……they have finally won.

Prices look excellent. :spend:

What do you guys think the ADM will be on these? I'm guessing $15k on the "base" model?

Wow, no ADM would be great for the guys getting these. Anxious to see them out on the roads.

Archived