TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gt350 Order Banks Opened

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone who asks for a t-shirt buys a new Ford GT350, I am hoping you will not send those t-shirts to those guys……... :lol:

lmao Mike... exactly... person doesn't understand that Shelby American has no part in building of the car therefore its a Shelby in name only

lmao Mike... exactly... person doesn't understand that Shelby American has no part in building of the car therefore its a Shelby in name only

Exactly, and Ford SVT (and Ford Motor Co. in general) has made so many great cars over the years, you wonder why they are ashamed to use their name on it. They really think sticking CS's name on it long after he is dead and gone makes a huge difference to the younger generation? Us older guys are not fooled by this, kinda like Porsche buying the Ferrari Testarossa name and sticking it on a 911Turbo S, makes no sense really, it is a great car without some phony name, just like CS once said.

What's wrong with that? I think it's great that Ford continues to honor Shelby's creation of the GT350.

Guest markham51

What's wrong with that? I think it's great that Ford continues to honor Shelby's creation of the GT350.

I agree. There is no "I" in team. Think of GT, Cobra, Mustang....now try and lose "Ford" or "Carroll Shelby" from the collaboration.... They were inter-dependant and still are.

The fact that a "Shelby" is synonymous with the BEST MUSTANG available from Ford is a tribute to that relationship. Everyone wins...

Just ordered a fourth Shelby this am. :love_shower:

I have no problem with Ford building a "tribute" to Shelby's GT350, just as I have no problem with people building a tribute to the '65 Shelby GT350 R model, just that I would not buy either. But it is a free country and people can buy and build anything they like and call it anything they like and enjoy them, so enjoy and pay no attention to me, what do I know about it, it is your choice, just as it is mine to not indulge.

Guest markham51

1968 was the first known use of Shelby and Cobra together for a GT350 or GT500, as in this brochure.

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=&pic=/1968/1968_00199_01

Maybe they are channeling 1968 with this name……….. :)

Another good catch...as it turns out I have the same car as in the advert..(68KR Shelby COBRA GT500 convert)...interesting connection.

Oh here we go again.... Ford/SVT made my 2009 Shelby GT500 and no one will ever make me believe that it is not a "real Shelby".

Exactly, and Ford SVT (and Ford Motor Co. in general) has made so many great cars over the years, you wonder why they are ashamed to use their name on it. They really think sticking CS's name on it long after he is dead and gone makes a huge difference to the younger generation? Us older guys are not fooled by this, kinda like Porsche buying the Ferrari Testarossa name and sticking it on a 911Turbo S, makes no sense really, it is a great car without some phony name, just like CS once said.

They are not ashamed. They own the rights to call it a Shelby and in my book (and many others) it is a Shelby. You older guys might consider not taking your personal opinions so seriously and not be so resistant to change. Change is good and if it carries the name Shelby as a tribute to the man himself and inspires a new generation of Shelby lovers, then I say great! Who gives a flying flip where it was made?

+1000

The new Shelby GT350 is an awesome car and a great example of what Carroll would have been proud to have his name on.

Oh here we go again.... Ford/SVT made my 2009 Shelby GT500 and no one will ever make me believe that it is not a "real Shelby".

They are not ashamed. They own the rights to call it a Shelby and in my book (and many others) it is a Shelby. You older guys might consider not taking your personal opinions so seriously and not be so resistant to change. Change is good and if it carries the name Shelby as a tribute to the man himself and inspires a new generation of Shelby lovers, then I say great! Who gives a flying flip where it was made?

+1000

The new Shelby COBRA GT350 is an awesome car and a great example of what Carroll would have been proud to have his name on.

There, fixed it for you, you're welcome.

True. Partly because SA was now just a licensing office facility without production and the Cobra roadster had ceased production.

True, and 1968 is when Ford intensively started pushing CS out the door and taking over production so they wanted their own names, not his.

Who do you think gave Ford the rights and inspiration to use his name? Carroll said many times he was proud of what the Ford engineers were doing. The past is past. He was proudly with Ford for at least 8 years before he passed. He knew Ford was making a new GT350 and I'm guessing he was happy about it. He left his legacy in good hands. Too bad some here don't appreciate it.

Who do you think gave Ford the rights and inspiration to use his name? Carroll said many times he was proud of what the Ford engineers were doing. The past is past. He was proudly with Ford for at least 8 years before he passed. He knew Ford was making a new GT350 and I'm guessing he was happy about it. He left his legacy in good hands. Too bad some here don't appreciate it.

Well said & just to add a bit of history for those that don`t know in July 2005, Shelby was at Ford SVT working on the new 2007 Shelby & spent a week working with Ford engineers.

CS was long dead when his estate sold the rights for Ford to use GT350. And CS never "gave" Ford anything , they always paid well to use things associated with him and his legacy. Ford learned their lesson on this when CS sued their socks off for trying this mess:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-0008-1984-20th-anniversary-ford-mustang-gt350-classic-car-review/

CS was long dead when his estate sold the rights for Ford to use GT350. And CS never "gave" Ford anything , they always paid well to use things associated with him and his legacy. Ford learned their lesson on this when CS sued their socks off for trying this mess:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-0008-1984-20th-anniversary-ford-mustang-gt350-classic-car-review/

That's not correct. Carroll signed a licensing agreement with Ford for them to use the GT350 nameplate. Just want to keep things factual. Carroll not only knew about the Ford built GT350 but gave Ford his blessing to do so.

Steve

That's not correct. Carroll signed a licensing agreement with Ford for them to use the GT350 nameplate. Just want to keep things factual. Carroll not only knew about the Ford built GT350 but gave Ford his blessing to do so.

Steve

Then why was the news release so much longer after his death? Was this information withheld for a reason?

EDIT: It's OK Steve, you don't have to answer that sensitive one, it was a "rhetorical" question.

Then why was the news release so much longer after his death? Was this information withheld for a reason?

With the competition, and existing product line, do you really think that Ford would disclose their product plans more than 4 years in advance?

With the competition, and existing product line, do you really think that Ford would disclose their product plans more than 4 years in advance?

Maybe, I do doubt Ford thinks that far ahead with that Raj guy in charge. But if CS was heavily involved with this and selling those rights, I wonder why he didn't say something about it before he died, that is where the missing bit of info is for credibility.

1968 was the first known use of Shelby and Cobra together for a GT350 or GT500, as in this brochure.

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=&pic=/1968/1968_00199_01

Maybe they are channeling 1968 with this name……….. :)

You might want to look again. This is an image of a '67 Shelby Mustang gas cap.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=1967+shelby+mustang+gas+cap&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

You might want to look again. This is an image of a '67 Shelby Mustang gas cap.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=1967+shelby+mustang+gas+cap&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

Yes, my '67 has that too, and on the wheel center emblem, but I was speaking of official Ford literature and brochures, like order forms.

Archived