TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ring Gear Install

I am changing the gears in my 89 Ford f150 with a 8.8 rear to the 355s out of my GTH. I noticed that ford states that you use Loctite 638 on the back of the ring gear in their install instructions. This is hard to find here in Kentucky and much of it comes from England if you look on E-bay. Some of the install videos on the web say nothing about it. Does it really need to be used or are you using something different. Thanks for your input. Harley

I am changing the gears in my 89 Ford f150 with a 8.8 rear to the 355s out of my GTH. I noticed that ford states that you use Loctite 638 on the back of the ring gear in their install instructions. This is hard to find here in Kentucky and much of it comes from England if you look on E-bay. Some of the install videos on the web say nothing about it. Does it really need to be used or are you using something different. Thanks for your input. Harley

Check with your local Ford dealer ,or one of there mechanics I`am sure they will have a small tube or several small tubes . Its must to use a loctite you don`t want one to back off , seen it happen before the results weren`t good.

I bought mine online. When I removed the original ring gear there was loctite between it and the carrier.

Archived