TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tell Me Where I'm Going Wrong: 2010 Are The Rarest Shelbys Made

I'm trying to compile a list of firsts, lasts, and debuts that came with the release of the 2010 Shelby GT500.

I feel that the 2010's are the MOST desirable Shelbys out of the 2007-2014 model years, KOR not included for this discussion.

Last year of the iron block, rebuildable, strong, vast supply of inventory of short blocks.

It got the interior/exterior updates.

Benefited from the KOR engine program, the cold air intake, knock sensors.

HID / SYNC Nav options

Was really only a one year run, all the other generations were 2 year runs (07-09, 11-12, 13-14).

Has a real power steering pump.

Best stock clutch.

I specifically wanted a 2010, mainly for the reasons above. I had the option to buy any year, except the 2013+ (still overpriced, worth every penny though).

The 2010 combines the best of the iron block engine program, with the styling updates, and if you want all that in one package, your only option is the 2010!

All this may not mean anything value wise but, it is all another reason I love my 2010! As you mentioned, first year for the updated body and interior, and last year for the iron block. I actually stayed with the stock halogen lights and just got upgraded hid lights. That way it still has the old style headlight look with the amber turn signal but also has really bright lights. My mom has a 2013 Mustang and I'll tell you, I definitely feel a difference in the vehicle. And I'm not talking power wise, just the way the car feels. I love the 2010.

I'm going to add:

The benefit of factory installed 3.55 gears, when compared to the 2007-2009s.

The only year to come with an x-pipe.

User select-able mood lighting.

It would have been nice if that X-pipe and the rest of the exhaust system would have been 2.75" (like the 2011-up) instead of the 2.50" like the 2007-2009.

The selectable mood lighting..........is that the Ambient Lighting option that was available for 2007-2009, the foot wells and cup holders can be changed to different colors, maybe even lighting in the door panel area also?

I agree that 3.55 are nice.................2013 went back to 3.31's.

The 2010 still had the rear seat with no headrests, that was a 2011 addition, right? and also the adjustable front bucket seat headrests were 2011-up?

R

Boy, you are really reaching here :) . Interesting but I am not sure what any of it has to do with rarity. Rarity typically has to do with very low production numbers and limited edition options, not sure 2010 qualities but fun to talk about. I could probably argue the 2009 with the lowest production numbers or 2013/4 with highest HP numbers.

I'm not trying to equate "rarity" with value, so perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. In retrospect, I would change it to "desirable".

I did not know the earlier years had the mood lighting as an option, so I will remove it from the list! Also, this is more of fun debate, all Shelby's are winners in my book. However the BIGGEST reason I like the 2010s are the interior/exterior upgrades, and that iron block.

Coming up on 5 years of ownership with my 2010 GT500 and I still love it. Never had any problems and it still feels like a new car. Springs, struts, shocks and a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports is all it takes to dramatically improve the handling. :)

20150408_155120_zps60gdsxov.jpg

I'm not trying to equate "rarity" with value, so perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. In retrospect, I would change it to "desirable".

I did not know the earlier years had the mood lighting as an option, so I will remove it from the list! Also, this is more of fun debate, all Shelby's are winners in my book. However the BIGGEST reason I like the 2010s are the interior/exterior upgrades, and that iron block.

I have never looked down on 2010's, but I know some people have. It was a transition year.

R

The best Shelby year is probably the one an individual owns. After that then you'd have to think first year, last year, most hp, lowest production numbers and then yada, yada yada, and etc. They were built for 8 years so they are 8 different arguments. (LOL)

I've had a 2011 and a 2014. I put 42K miles on the 2011 and loved it. I've got 15K miles on my 2014. As you can see I enjoy daily driving mine and future collector value is not a concern. That being said, I tend to think the 2011/12 are probably the best drivers. First year of the aluminum block and electric steering which took weight off the front and made them a better handler. I actually enjoyed driving my 2011 more than the 2014. I even had a tune and pulley on the 2011 and it more driver friendly than the 2014. It has a "200 mph" suspension and feels stiffer than the 2011. The 3.55 axle ratio in the 2011 made for easier around town comminuting than the 3.31's in the 2014. The 2014 is still more powerful and has a stiffer stock suspension which makes it not as comfy in everyday driving as the 2011. I drove a friends 2013 Boss 302 and my 2011 Shelby felt like it handled just as well but with over 100 plus more horsepower.

For a driver I think the 2011/2012 are the best, as far as rarest ..... let the argument continue. :)

The best Shelby year is probably the one an individual owns. After that then you'd have to think first year, last year, most hp, lowest production numbers and then yada, yada yada, and etc. They were built for 8 years so they are 8 different arguments. (LOL)

I've had a 2011 and a 2014. I put 42K miles on the 2011 and loved it. I've got 15K miles on my 2014. As you can see I enjoy daily driving mine and future collector value is not a concern. That being said, I tend to think the 2011/12 are probably the best drivers. First year of the aluminum block and electric steering which took weight off the front and made them a better handler. I actually enjoyed driving my 2011 more than the 2014. I even had a tune and pulley on the 2011 and it more driver friendly than the 2014. It has a "200 mph" suspension and feels stiffer than the 2011. The 3.55 axle ratio in the 2011 made for easier around town comminuting than the 3.31's in the 2014. The 2014 is still more powerful and has a stiffer stock suspension which makes it not as comfy in everyday driving as the 2011. I drove a friends 2013 Boss 302 and my 2011 Shelby felt like it handled just as well but with over 100 plus more horsepower.

For a driver I think the 2011/2012 are the best, as far as rarest ..... let the argument continue. :)

+1

I have never looked down on 2010's, but I know some people have. It was a transition year.

R

I agree, it was a transition year....I think ford understood the GT500 needed to loose weight, and by switching from an iron block to an aluminum block they were able to loose a little more then 100 pounds from the front end. So by doing so they succeeded in improving the all around performance of the car. And of course the newer the car the more chance it has from benefiting from the newest technology like the electronic steering, etc. I love my 2012 for a multitude of reasons, I think the 2011 was ground breaking for the introduction of the new aluminum block and the 2012 offered a few more options, thus improving the car.

2010 was also the only 540HP year.

In '07 they all had 500HP.

Then in '08 & '09 the base GT500 had 500HP and the KR's had 540HP but the extra 40HP was added by Shelby American in the KR conversion (so, 500 and 540 horses for '08 and '09).

In 2010 they went to 540HP across the board.

In 2011 with the Aluminum block, they increased the HP by 10 to 550HP and again in 2012.

In '13 they bumped it up to 662HP and followed it again in '14 with 662HP.

So again, 2010 was the only year with 540HP across the board and in stock form.

2010 can also be a major pain in the ass when trying to find mod parts for it.

Phill

I was able to weigh my 2010 a few years back and my friend weighed his 2011. Both had about half a tank of gas. His is a SVTPP car. Only a 45 lbs difference. 3865 lbs for his and 3910 lbs for mine.

I wish the magazines would have tested a 2010 GT500 coupe vs a 2011 GT500 base coupe. I'm pretty sure the numbers would be very close. The upgrades with the SVTPP is what made the biggest improvement.

My 2011 was a base coupe. Only option was the car cover. I weighed it on a set of drive on scales we used for weighing cargo for aircraft and with a full tank of gas it weighed 3740 without driver (but cover in the trunk ;) )

It would have been nice if that X-pipe and the rest of the exhaust system would have been 2.75" (like the 2011-up) instead of the 2.50" like the 2007-2009.

and also the adjustable front bucket seat headrests were 2011-up?

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey Robert,

Both of my 2010s had adjustable front headrests.

The 1/4" upgrade in exhaust diameter would have been nice for compatibility reasons through the model year change, but a 1/4" gain in diameter would not realize performance gains.

Hey Robert,

<snip>

The 1/4" upgrade in exhaust diameter would have been nice for compatibility reasons through the model year change, but a 1/4" gain in diameter would not realize performance gains.

I beg to differ.

If you put on your thinking cap and head way back to 1970 you may remember how he Camaro Z-28 with a LT-1 had 365HP and the 1970 Corvette with the LT-1 had 375HP.

The difference or reason the 'Vette had 10 more HP? Exhaust diameter.

The Camaro had 2-1/4" exhaust and the 'Vette had 2-1/2" exhaust.

My own thinking cap doesn't work as well as it used to so it may have been 360HP and 370HP with 2" and 2.5" (or something like that) but I think I'm correct in my recollection. To be more than honest, I'm just too damn lazy to go look it up.

But the point is, exhaust diameter does in fact play a part in HP numbers. Remember, it IS "net HP" with all of the parasitic loads applied.

Phill

I do remember the 2011's dyno'ing about 20+ rwhp higher than the 2010's when they first came out. The 2010's were around 460 rwhp stock while most 2011's I saw were 480 to 505 rwhp. Probably mostly from the electric steering and slightly larger exhaust pipes.

I do remember the 2011's dyno'ing about 20+ rwhp higher than the 2010's when they first came out. The 2010's were around 460 rwhp stock while most 2011's I saw were 480 to 505 rwhp. Probably mostly from the electric steering and slightly larger exhaust pipes.

It's good to hear that the 2011-2012 potentially put over 505hp to the rear wheels, I'm looking forward to having my 2012 dyno'd while the engine is currently in stock form. I know that there are a few different dyno's out there, Does anyone know which dyno is the most accurate in reading HP numbers?

and also the adjustable front bucket seat headrests were 2011-up?

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey Robert,

Both of my 2010s had adjustable front headrests.

Ok, I didn't remember when the tilting headrests were added to the front seats.

As for the exhaust, I am very surprised that Ford would have gone through a re-engineer of the system for no gain realized? Re-engineering costs lots of money, and "usually" those $$$ are not spent if there is not any gain. <<It may take a dyno pull at wide open throttle to see the gains, but I would think there is something there?

Also realize that the exhaust flow is limited by the tightest bends, the oem over-the-axle pipes are not mandrel bent, so they are sized down below the advertised 2.50" or 2.75" and will only flow at the smaller size at full flow. It could even be 2.25" at some of the 2.50" bends?

R

I beg to differ.

If you put on your thinking cap and head way back to 1970 you may remember how he Camaro Z-28 with a LT-1 had 365HP and the 1970 Corvette with the LT-1 had 375HP.

The difference or reason the 'Vette had 10 more HP? Exhaust diameter.

The Camaro had 2-1/4" exhaust and the 'Vette had 2-1/2" exhaust.

My own thinking cap doesn't work as well as it used to so it may have been 360HP and 370HP with 2" and 2.5" (or something like that) but I think I'm correct in my recollection. To be more than honest, I'm just too damn lazy to go look it up.

But the point is, exhaust diameter does in fact play a part in HP numbers. Remember, it IS "net HP" with all of the parasitic loads applied.

Phill

^^^^^^^^^^But there was also another large difference between those two cars and their exhaust systems.....................The Corvette had a full dual exhaust system and the Camaro had a transverse muffler (two pipes feeding into one muffler behind the rear axle and then two tail pipes coming out). <<This choke/restriction of blowing all of the exhaust into one muffler vs. two separate mufflers had its own negative on performance. <<<The SS Nova's had this same transverse system, even the big block cars.

I haven't researched it, but I was thinking they both had the same exhaust diameter, but the transverse muffler was the Camaro exhaust issue? <<But you may be right about the diameter differences?

R

They carried over that rim design and used it on the 2011-2012, they used it on the non-svtpp GT500's.

Ahhhhh. I thought all 2011-12's came with those nice mesh rims. I have never seen a 11/12 on 10 rims yet!

Archived