TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sick an tired of dealer BS

SLB8SNK

Dealer lists? Really I went to 3 dealers in WNY and not one had a list and flat out said we won't take any deposits or keep any lists until we know what the allocation will be.

Can't speak for all localities nationwide, but in my corner of the world (Seattle Metro Area), long lists are the norm at every Ford dealer in the two Ford zones within 100 miles of my store. We started our list in late 2005. We've had several hundred people inquire about GT500's and go on the list (no deposit required, unless we actually order a car for that customer). I check with them very frequently to see who is still interested and who has changed their minds so as to keep the list pure. Currently, we have about 50-60 people on the list at any given time. About 30-40 are insistent that they pay no more than MSRP, but about 20 of them are totally fine paying an ADM to ensure that they get a GT500. About half of those OK with an ADM are telling me $5K to $10K would be acceptable, while the other half are still OK paying any ADM just to be certain they get a car. That's still more guys willing to pay big ADM's than we'll even get cars for! So, it's cool that lots of people want to pay MSRP tops, but I don't have enough cars to sell to the ADM crowd, so how will I ever get far enough down our list to accomodate the MSRP crowd?

The MSRP crowd on our list tells me that they're patient and will wait as long as it takes to get MSRP - much like you're saying, Zan186. We'll, they've been waiting for over a year and a half now in most cases, and we're still sold out of GT500's. The longest a 2007 GT500 ever sat on our lot unsold was for 24 hours (one lousy day). The high tech industry and dot com industry are strong around here so lots of people with money who are young enough to really want a hot car like the GT500 are keeping demand way above supply here.

Big ADM's and long lists have kept me from buying a GT500, so I'm not terribly happy about it. However, I bought a 2007 Mustang GT in the mean time to replace my 2003 Mach 1, so I have an entertaining car to drive while I wait for a GT500 to materialize at a price I can afford someday. However, I'm starting to think that that may never happen, so I'm modding the GT just in case. The important thing to me is to have a fun car NOW, not wait for years to hopefully get one. Life is short and there are no guarantees, so if you want a GT500 now and have the means to pay whatever it takes, then go for it. If you can get by without a GT500 for now until prices drop some year down the road, then that is your choice. Just know that other more motivated buyers will snap up any and all GT500's that you could of had, and they'll be enjoying them while you're complaining about them.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ADM's in So. California

The 4 closest dealers to me (within 25 miles) have a combined total of 7 cars. I have been watching them, and the inventory quantities have not been moving quicky in the last 2 months. All are asking minimum $5k ADM.

So they have "one model year old" cars sitting on the lot that are not selling quickly with ADM's. ADM is bound to drop quickly on those once the '08's start showing up in the next few weeks.

ADM's in So. California

The 4 closest dealers to me (within 25 miles) have a combined total of 7 cars. Galpin Ford which is about 45 miles away has 9 in stock. I have been watching them, and the inventory quantities have not been moving quicky in the last 2 months. All are asking minimum $5k ADM.

So they have "one model year old" cars sitting on the lot that are not selling quickly with ADM's. ADM is bound to drop quickly on those once the '08's start showing up in the next few weeks.

You say 7 total but Galpin has 9????

Locator shows they have 2 coupes.

They have 190 2007 mustangs in stock and 2 are GT500's.

Galpin is the number ONE dealer in the US. They sell approx. 500+ new Fords every month!

There are 208 dealers in CA.

220 GT500's showing. 173 coupes and 47 convertibles.

A lot of dealers showing between 2 - 5 in stock.

There are 1.127 GT500's left in the entire country. 829 coupes and 298 convertibles.

226 of them are in CA., leaving only 907 throughout the rest of the US.

120 of them are in TX., leaving only 787 throughout the other 48 states.

70 are in FL., leaving only 717 throughout 47 states. That would work out to only an average of 15 cars per State left.

You say 7 total but Galpin has 9????

Locator shows they have 2 coupes.

They have 190 2007 mustangs in stock and 2 are GT500's.

Galpin is the number ONE dealer in the US. They sell approx. 500+ new Fords every month!

There are 208 dealers in CA.

220 GT500's showing. 173 coupes and 47 convertibles.

A lot of dealers showing between 2 - 5 in stock.

There are 1.127 GT500's left in the entire country. 829 coupes and 298 convertibles.

226 of them are in CA., leaving only 907 throughout the rest of the US.

120 of them are in TX., leaving only 787 throughout the other 48 states.

70 are in FL., leaving only 717 throughout 47 states. That would work out to only an average of 15 cars per State left.

Apparently you have some useful insider info! Excellent.

I am saying that my 4 local dealers have a total of 7 PLUS their 9. I base these numbers off of what their web inventory shows plus sales guy phone input.

Oh really? Seems the trend of dropping ADM fits my theory to a Tee!

Sure actions speak very loudly, but the old addage of "good things come to those who wait" definately applies here!

Just like everything else when it first comes out demand is a much stronger driving force than supply.

XBox 360, Sony Playstation 3, Iphone, Wii ....... what do they all have in common? Yep when they first came out people were selling them on ebay for 3x what they paid for them.

You have to look at the GT500 in the same light as a Z06 corvette. Yeah their are limited numbers but not that limited.

With the KR (1000 units) your correct that MSRP will most likely not be reached

But 20,000 units? That is not limited production that is a ton of cars.

Exact car I already mentioned before: Vista Blue Coupe with interior upgrade or Grabber Orange. White with blue stripes would have to be a great deal. Rest I really don't have any desire for. What am I willing to pay? Depends what I can get. I will pay $55,000 range for a KR, which I doubt will be available at that price.

For a GT 500 I won't go over $50,000.

I am not really in a big hurry. I have my daily driver car until June 2008, although I only have 5k miles left. However I do have a 91 Jeep Wrangler, and My 2002 Viper to divert miles off the lease car if need arises.

I actually don't want the Mustang until late March, early April. I have to build a new garage to store it, which I wont do until summer 08.

I am not looking for accolades, I am just expressing my well educated opinion. Seeing as you already bought your GT500 then go out and enjoy it. For me and many others we are smart enough to wait a little to see how things develope. I am pretty confident that I will be ordering one in late October for MSRP. If I don't their is a plethora of choices available should I not find a deal.

Have to laugh at this post. For a guy who is NOT so picky, will take just about anything, and with all the chatter of deals to be had.... if you spent half as much time looking for a deal as you do bashing us who got a deal, you might get a deal! However, I am convinced you are like a washing machince ajitator... round and round but getting no where fast, and when it stops your still all wet! Good luck, but please in the meantime, only post things worth reading or with value... at least until you get the deal of yours! :hysterical2:

• 2 weeks later...
Zan - Not sure how you scored on the IQ test and I don't like to throw darts. However, if you were actually using your acclaimed brain power, you would either have found a GT500 by now for MSRP or be earning enough to afford the ADM. Either way, every day that goes by without the car has an opportunity "cost". I guess you have to decide what that's worth.

IQ tests? Really kind of irrelevant, but high enough to get into Mensa.

Msrp is a factor of supply and demand. Finding a deal has little to do with intelligence. It is called time and effort.

Just because I can afford to pay over MSRP doesnt mean I am willing to do so.

Opportunity cost? That is the lamest thing I ever heard.

Msrp is a factor of supply and demand. Finding a deal has little to do with intelligence. It is called time and effort.

Lame is whining about the price of a car that you want but don't have. Have fun not driving your Shelby. I know I'm ecstatic every time I fire mine up.

Good Day.

So you are not willing to pay over MSRP and you are not willing to spend the time or effort to find a deal you do consider fair (supposing one exists).

Sounds to me like you don't really want the car but would rather B!%C% about the price......

So you are not willing to pay over MSRP and you are not willing to spend the time or effort to find a deal you do consider fair (supposing one exists).

Sounds to me like you don't really want the car but would rather B!%C% about the price......

...And tell us how much smarter he is. :hysterical2:

i work for a large autogroup, a service and parts director, and have been with then for almost five years, i had to pay 6k over, they wanted 10k but after some time i got them down. as long as people are going to pay the price, the dealers are going to continue to get it. last year i was willing to pay 15k over thinking it was the last year, but when i found out that there would be a 08 i decided to wait, i wanted the vapor and black stripes.....all i am saying if you really want it---pay for it---i am not sticking up for the dealers due to the fact i work at one, however, how many times do we go into dealers and shop them untill there is nothing left, these guys have a car they can make some money on and let me tell you they will milk this one dry

Hey I got my car at MSRP and it was a bitch i spend days on the phone and day's Emailing over 1000 dealer in us till i found one and he is 930 mile from me it can be dun you just got to take time and i can bet i can at least one more dealer at Msrp again if i had to there out there it just take a little work The Word WORK to me is saveing (10K) if you no what i Mean

When I read this guys post last night, I was thinking the exact same thing. I used to get customers like this - they come in all bossy and assertive, demanding this and that, and at the end of the day they just want to "think about it." Like shopping a dealer for sport I guess.

I used to get customers like this - they come in all bossy and assertive, demanding this and that, and at the end of the day they just want to "think about it." Like shopping a dealer for sport I guess.

You get those kind of customers, too? I thought I was the only one who got them? LOL.

In a weird kind of way I enjoy buying cars; I spend a great deal of time looking, comparing, getting all my facts ready, etc, but I HATE that point when I actually have to talk to a saleman because 90% of the time I then have to go through the usual BS--the "What can I do to put you in this car today" line, the off-hand announcement of the dealer prep charge (which never fails to amaze me that I am going to be charged for having the dealer wash the damn car), the you insulted us with your offer look & tone, the let him sit and sweat for 15 minutes before we bring out the "sales manager," who takes the insulted bit one step further, and so on. I realize the salesman and the dealer need to make a buck, and I usually go in with an offer somewhere close to the middle between MSRP and Dealer Invoice, but as I said what follows is rarely a pleasant experience, so I can't imagine someone "shopping a dealer for sport" (I'm not saying it doesn't happen--I'm saying I can't imagine why someone would want to put themselves thru that!).

I will say that when I bought my Shelby from a small rural dealer--I paid 5K over, but I didn't get any of the crap I described above, and that alone was almost worth the ADM.

CC

In a weird kind of way I enjoy buying cars; I spend a great deal of time looking, comparing, getting all my facts ready, etc, but I HATE that point when I actually have to talk to a saleman because 90% of the time I then have to go through the usual BS--the "What can I do to put you in this car today" line, the off-hand announcement of the dealer prep charge (which never fails to amaze me that I am going to be charged for having the dealer wash the damn car), the you insulted us with your offer look & tone, the let him sit and sweat for 15 minutes before we bring out the "sales manager," who takes the insulted bit one step further, and so on. I realize the salesman and the dealer need to make a buck, and I usually go in with an offer somewhere close to the middle between MSRP and Dealer Invoice, but as I said what follows is rarely a pleasant experience, so I can't imagine someone "shopping a dealer for sport" (I'm not saying it doesn't happen--I'm saying I can't imagine why someone would want to put themselves thru that!).

I will say that when I bought my Shelby from a small rural dealer--I paid 5K over, but I didn't get any of the crap I described above, and that alone was almost worth the ADM.

CC

Way back in my teenage years, a long long time ago, we would shop dealers just for sport. LOL

We would go in and take out sport cars like the trans am's etc., and we would burn the rubber off them! LOL I still can't to this day figure out why dealers would let 17 and 18 year old kids take those cars out for test drives all by themselves! I guess salespeople were really lazy then or something! LOL

I would even sit there and beat them up on price negotiating deals to buy the car. Of course I would have purchased the car IF they could have gotten me financed! LOL But they always came back with, you need a co-signer! I couldn't figure out why. I mean, heck, I was only 17 - 18 and never had any established credit then. LOL

As for the crap you went through I know exactly what you mean. I have been through that 99% of the time when I bought cars before being in this business. That was one of the biggest things I was concerned with when I got into this business. If that was going to be the way I was going to have deal with people then I knew this would never work out for me. I hated it when they treated me that way and I sure as heck wasn't going to treat other people that way.

I make it very easy for anyone to buy a vehicle here. There are no hidden fees or surprises. All cars get cleaned up regardless of what you pay and there is no charge to the customer. There are no BS prep fees! The price you are given is the price you can buy it for and the trade value you are given for your trade is the actual cash value with no numbers being inflated! If that doesn't work for you there is no let'em sit and stew while waiting to see what more we can do or what will it take to buy it today BS. If it works great. If not, thanks for stopping by and giving us a shot.

Way back in my teenage years, a long long time ago, we would shop dealers just for sport. LOL

Well, I have a confession. I too used to shop dealers for sport (before I was in the biz obviously). Basically same story as you. It didn't take long being a salesman to regret my past. I figure for two years being a salesman I was paying my penance as my past came back to haunt me almost on a daily basis!!

I still enjoy the car buying process and yes, I even enjoy the back and forth drill. If you go into it accepting that it's inevitable, you can have fun with it. Of course now I don't engage a salesman unless I really am ready to buy. I know many of you respect car salesmen a little more than theives, but they have bills to pay just like you and it's their job to push you to pay as much as possible. I don't condone, nor did I ever engage in sneaky stuff, but there's nothing wrong with at least trying to get the customer to pay more than their initial offer.

Having said that, Cobracrazy, if I had had you as a customer and you came in with an offer between invoice and MSRP, I would've been kissing your ass the whole way :hysterical: I would not have rocked that boat for a second! Being in internet sales, especially on eBay, anything over invoice was considered damn good.

Archived