TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Diff Cover

Aussie67

I fitted 3.73 ratio gears to my diff the other day (lovin it) and at the same time went to fit my new Shelby diff cover I had purchased only to find it interfered with the panhard bar and I couldn't fit it.

My car has been lowered with the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs so I'm suspecting this is the cause. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the cause are there any solutions as I really would like to fit the Shelby diff cover? Is there a bar which will accomodate the Shelby diff cover on a lowered car?

Thanks in anticipation.

I fitted 3.73 ratio gears to my diff the other day (lovin it) and at the same time went to fit my new Shelby diff cover I had purchased only to find it interfered with the sway bar and I couldn't fit it.

My car has been lowered with the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs so I'm suspecting this is the cause. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the cause are there any solutions as I really would like to fit the Shelby diff cover? Is there a sway bar which will accomodate the Shelby diff cover on a lowered car?

Thanks in anticipation.

I don’t intend to hijack the thread but I’ve really wanted to lower my car too. How much did you lower it and do you have pictures?

Thanks

Gregg

I fitted 3.73 ratio gears to my diff the other day (lovin it) and at the same time went to fit my new Shelby diff cover I had purchased only to find it interfered with the panhard bar and I couldn't fit it.

My car has been lowered with the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs so I'm suspecting this is the cause. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the cause are there any solutions as I really would like to fit the Shelby diff cover? Is there a bar which will accomodate the Shelby diff cover on a lowered car?

Thanks in anticipation.

When I put my shelby dif cover on, it would not fit because the bar was preventing installation. I took the bar off, then put the dif cover on and then put the bar back on. All was good then. My cart has the KR set up on the springs and shocks so it is only 1 inch lower.

036.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

041.jpg

037.jpg

029-1.jpg

You can use a BMR/SPP panhard bar relocate bracket which moves the panhard bar back away from the axle housing.

I'd also suggest a BMR/SPP panhard bar support brace for more additional clearance above the panhard bar.

These 2 pieces work very well at giving you more clearance there especially on a lowered S197. JMO

I dont intend to hijack the thread but Ive really wanted to lower my car too. How much did you lower it and do you have pictures?

Thanks

Gregg

Rear is lowered about 1 1/2" and the front about 1". Love the lowered stance but you definitely lose a little in ride quality. Just a little stiffer but not too bad.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I posted a thread on the panhard bar relocation bracket awhile back. This worked out great for me because I also wanted to install rear differential cover. -Kevin

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/69457-shelby-panhard-bar-relocation-bracket-installed/?hl=%2Bpanhard+%2Bbar

Once you've relocated it (the panhard bar) you'll notice that it runs parallel to the panhard bar support brace - the BMR/SPP panhard support brace has a different bend in it and gives you much more clearance than what the OEM stamped unit does. It's best to do both pieces at the same time. JMO and experience.

I also have some pictures showing the panhard relocation bracket installed just before I put the axle back under my car..............

020-2.jpg

and after it is in place with the Shelby girdle/cover you are asking about..............

0023_zps3af0f1f7.jpg

I agree with you, it is a nice cover..............

017-1.jpg

^^^^^^In this picture the cover had just been installed/torqued in place, but I had not adjusted the girdle bolts yet.

Pictured below is a Shelby cover/girdle that was available a couple of years ago, it is a lower profile and may allow for panhard clearance without the relocation bracket (much like the FRPP G2 cover/girdle), but I did not verify the panhard fit..........

0162.jpg

R

That is strange.

I installed the Ford Racing cover/girdle previously and had no clearances issues with either the stock springs or the FRPP lowering ones.

I did have a J&M double adjustable aluminum panhard bar on though, instead of the stock one.

I would have thought that the FRPP and Shelby one would be almost the same (except for the badging), as they sure look similar.

The panhard relocation bracket does look like an easy fix though.

Btw, I made up a custom tool for tightening the locking nut on the cap load adjusters, that you might find handy.

I made it with a shallow 22mm socket and welded a piece of flatbar to it.

You need to prep the socket first by grinding the outer socket wall thinner though, so that it clears the adjuster recesses in the axle cover.

To do that I just stuck the socket on a tight extension, and then used a bench grinder to grind it thinner while rotating the socket.

It comes in handing for setting the adjusters, and only cost me the price of a cheap socket.

Be careful that you do not overtighten the bolts, as they do not require much pressure at all, usually in inch pounds.

When set, hold the allen bolts firmly in place with an allen key, T bar etc, as you tighten up the locking nuts with the tool.

FRPP Cover Girdle.jpg

Girdle Tool.jpg

That is strange.

I installed the Ford Racing cover/girdle previously and had no clearances issues with either the stock springs or the FRPP lowering ones.

I did have a J&M double adjustable aluminum panhard bar on though, instead of the stock one.

I would have thought that the FRPP and Shelby one would be almost the same (except for the badging), as they sure look similar.

The panhard relocation bracket does look like an easy fix though.

Btw, I made up a custom tool for tightening the locking nut on the cap load adjusters, that you might find handy.

I made it with a shallow 22mm socket and welded a piece of flatbar to it.

You need to prep the socket first by grinding the outer socket wall thinner though, so that it clears the adjuster recesses in the axle cover.

To do that I just stuck the socket on a tight extension, and then used a bench grinder to grind it thinner while rotating the socket.

It comes in handing for setting the adjusters, and only cost me the price of a cheap socket.

Be careful that you do not overtighten the bolts, as they do not require much pressure at all, usually in inch pounds.

When set, hold the allen bolts firmly in place with an allen key, T bar etc, as you tighten up the locking nuts with the tool.

Which FRPP girdle? The G1 is tall like the SPP shown in my first picture and requires a panhard relocate, the G2 is low profile and does not require a panhard relocation bracket.

Thanks on the tool tip for the lock nuts.

R

I have the Ford Racing M-4033-G2 Axle Girdle, looks almost identical to the beefy Shelby one.

I believe the FRPP one came out first, as I don't remember seeing the Shelby one at the time I purchased the Ford one.

Here are some photos from 5+ years ago showing the cover while I was doing the rusty bum work.

I only have one photo from back then that shows the approximate clearance, and that was with no relocation bracket.

I did all the work myself so I know there was no extra hardware involved.

FRPP Cover.jpg

Girdle Clearance.jpg

Archived