TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby will not take GAS---Help

GT500SC07

Tried to put gas in her today and the pump would shut off seconds after starting. Has anyone experienced this yet? I do believe I saw a thread on this many moons ago. If you did experience it what was the fix ? There must be an inline value that is stuck closed or broken.

Thanks,

Scott

The problem is with all Mustangs (2005 +) as they have saddle tanks. If you go much beyond ¼ left in the tank, back pressure makes it difficult to fuel these cars. The best answer........keep above ½ tank.

I have taken mine down until there was only 1-2 gallons left in the (15.8 gallon capacity.) tank several times & I have not had any problems filling up. :headscratch:

I do remember someone having problems & they wrote "A second issue I have experienced is after 3,000 miles my car decided to stop letting fuel into the fuel tank. Long story short is new Mustangs vent the fuel fumes into the tank and this venting is controlled by an electronic vent box on top of the fuel tank. My vent box got stuck and would not allow fuel into the tank. Ford replaced the vent box on my new Shelby and problem solved."

Hope this helps

I have taken mine down until there was only 1-2 gallons left in the (15.8 gallon capacity.) tank several times & I have not had any problems filling up. :headscratch:

I do remember someone having problems & they wrote "A second issue I have experienced is after 3,000 miles my car decided to stop letting fuel into the fuel tank. Long story short is new Mustangs vent the fuel fumes into the tank and this venting is controlled by an electronic vent box on top of the fuel tank. My vent box got stuck and would not allow fuel into the tank. Ford replaced the vent box on my new Shelby and problem solved."

Hope this helps

well....I have 3 2005+ Mustangs, all at some point have issues with fueling. This is not a new problem, all the dealers know about it.

well....I have 3 2005+ Mustangs, all at some point have issues with fueling. This is not a new problem, all the dealers know about it.

I had the same problem with my '67 350. In that case, the '67 filler neck is a sharp turn, and I was told that on the turn, fuel built up a little, telling the pump sensor (at the station) that my tank was full. Solution: fill tank slower. That's it!

I was filling my F150 the other day, and the attendant complained alot of cars click off early (as if they are full). So the problem is not isolated. I supect it has to do with the newer venting requirements...

The vapor recovery system on our cars is electroniclly controled and malfunctions occaisonaly. Job 2 cars had a correction made to resolve the fill problem. What exactly that correction was, I don't know, but it delayed Job 2 production by 14 days.

If the car won't take any fuel, try cycling the ignition key a couple of times to see if you can get the vapor recovery valve to wake up. The other issue that you may be having is a false reading on your fuel gage. The gage pointer might indicate that there is only a half a tank of fuel remaining, but in reality you may have more than that in the tank.

The vapor recovery system on our cars is electroniclly controled and malfunctions occaisonaly. Job 2 cars had a correction made to resolve the fill problem. What exactly that correction was, I don't know, but it delayed Job 2 production by 14 days.

If the car won't take any fuel, try cycling the ignition key a couple of times to see if you can get the vapor recovery valve to wake up. The other issue that you may be having is a false reading on your fuel gage. The gage pointer might indicate that there is only a half a tank of fuel remaining, but in reality you may have more than that in the tank.

That happened to me the last time I filled up

at the pump it acted like it was full, but only registerd a little over a half tank

That happened to me the last time I filled up

at the pump it acted like it was full, but only registerd a little over a half tank

Yes, I had the same problem too initally, but it has not occured again for many, many fill up's now. I just ran the tank down to an 8th of a tank a few times, and the problem went away. I suspect that the sending unit float was hung up and running the tank down must have freed it up.

BTW, just in case some was not aware of this, it is not a good idea to run the car down below an 8th of a tank, because causes the engine to run lean. If the fuel pump starts cavatating looking for fuel, the ecm leans the mixture out. Not good for any engine, especally a SC engine.

Yes, I had the same problem too initally, but it has not occured again for many, many fill up's now. I just ran the tank down to an 8th of a tank a few times, and the problem went away. I suspect that the sending unit float was hung up and running the tank down must have freed it up.

Thanks

should I trust the gage, I don't want to run her out of gas, that would be an embarassment to all of us

If you run the tank down below the point where the sending unit is hung up, then the next time you fill, the gage will behave correctly and give you a correct reading. What's the hang up point? After filling, look at the pointer; it probably did not move from the point where you decided it was time to get fuel. Okay, so you know that you just filled up and the dispenser shows that the car took on fuel. Just drive the car until the pointer starts to drop below the hang up point, and bingo, go get more fuel.

I initally would never run the tank down below 3/4 full before topping off. I don't do that anymore. I run the tank down to at least below a half a tank before topping off, and as stated, I have not had any fuel issues since.

Hope this helps.

If you run the tank down below the point where the sending unit is hung up, then the next time you fill, the gage will behave correctly and give you a correct reading. What's the hang up point? After filling, look at the pointer; it probably did not move from the point where you decided it was time to get fuel. Okay, so you know that you just filled up and the dispenser shows that the car took on fuel. Just drive the car until the pointer starts to drop below the hang up point, and bingo, go get more fuel.

I initally would never run the tank down below 3/4 full before topping off. I don't do that anymore. I run the tank down to at least below a half a tank before topping off, and as stated, I have not had any fuel issues since.

Hope this helps.

it does thanks

I useually run mine down to 1/4 or so. I will keep a close eye on it

it doesn't take much time for the needle to move and it isn't slow that's for sure

My 2007 GT/CS is a job #1 build and I have had no problems filling it. It takes the gas just like my Job #2 SHELBY. :shrug:

My 2007 GT/CS is a job #1 build and I have had no problems filling it. It takes the gas just like my Job #2 SHELBY. :shrug:

Yeah, no problems with my Job 1 car now, but initally it did give me some fueling issues. I can't tell you what FoMoCo did to the Job 2 fuel system, but there was somesort of change made. The 14 day delay caused a production back up that in turn allowed more 500's to be built, and that's why the Red Stripe package was created.

Tried to put gas in her today and the pump would shut off seconds after starting. Has anyone experienced this yet? I do believe I saw a thread on this many moons ago. If you did experience it what was the fix ? There must be an inline value that is stuck closed or broken.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

I had the same problem in my 05 GT. Ford had a TSB and they actually replaced the entire tank! It was much better after that and I ASSUME they made the same change to all Stangs. However sometimes it still does it! When I first posted the problem several years ago someone suggested turning the fuel pump handle upside down and sure enough that always works! So if it does it again try the upside handle fix.

Best Regards,

MSB Mustang "Mark"

It must have been bone dry & running on vapors then. The GT500 tank only holds 15.7 gallons & the fuel filler neck might hold 1 gallon.

Not according to the Key Product Specifications for the 2007 Shelby GT500, however in the Shelby GT500 Supplement it says 15.7 you figure :headscratch:

real easy solution guys, just turn the pump filler valve upside down when filling it

O ....How about i just re-mount the filler neck 180 * and then i can fuel my car like the people that buy 18 k cars do ????????????? F-in-NORMAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FORD NEED"S TO FIX THIS PROB SOON !!!!! 11 gal fill up's are a pain ...we need our allowed 16 gall's ..............................Sorry this has been a soft spot for me......NOTHING personal !!!!

O ....How about i just re-mount the filler neck 180 * and then i can fuel my car like the people that buy 18 k cars do ????????????? F-in-NORMAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FORD NEED"S TO FIX THIS PROB SOON !!!!! 11 gal fill up's are a pain ...we need our allowed 16 gall's ..............................Sorry this has been a soft spot for me......NOTHING personal !!!!

Until they do fix it just tip the nozzle... nothing personal taken....Alls good here.

Until they do fix it just tip the nozzle... nothing personal taken....Alls good here.

Sorry !! just that the dealer said the same thing and i was like ?????what????? JUST FIX IT !!!! I said!!! and they were like,... fix what??? AAAAAAAAAAAGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR !! Does any one realy know the real fix so i can JUST DO IT MY SELF........Some times i think i know more then them....THAT'S NOT RIGHT..............Sorry ...just venting..........THANKS!

post-7639-1181519801_thumb.jpg

Sorry !! just that the dealer said the same thing and i was like ?????what????? JUST FIX IT !!!! I said!!! and they were like,... fix what??? AAAAAAAAAAAGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR !! Does any one realy know the real fix so i can JUST DO IT MY SELF........Some times i think i know more then them....THAT'S NOT RIGHT..............Sorry ...just venting..........THANKS!

Dave, there may be a couple of different/concurrent problems: the rate of fill (which can be a problem on any car when the nozzle senses backpressure and trips) and what Coldy mentioned (the valve that's part of the emissions system on the top of the tank that purges vapor displaced by the incoming gas). From what I'd red some time ago on other sites, those that replaced that valve on top of the tank (it's plumbed into the rats nest of hoses under the trunk) eliminated the problem. Possibly running the tank down as Coldy mentioned either frees the level sensor (as Coldy mentioned) or possibly it it purges that tank-top valve -- dunno, but I read a few accounts of those who replaced that valve having the problem go away. I have no idea what the part number is or which site I read it but it looks like a hockey-puck with a tube fitting -- it was last fall I saw that.

I also read some time ago that there is a TSB under which Ford replaces the whole dual-pump module, but I recall reading that does not fix the fill problem in all cases and I don't know if that includes the purge valve (I suspect it doesn't). Iif the other tricks in this thread don't work, maybe that's the ticket -- but I'm just putting two and two together on this ...so I certainly could be wrong.

Dan

Archived