TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2015 Shelby Gt Updated

39Mustang

Yesterday SAI changed the features on the 2015 Shelby GT and many of the standard features are not options anymore and so the package cost came way down. What's the change and why because once you choose certain options the cost is where it was before. The supercharger was standard and now its an option and not sure why you would order this car without the supercharger? On the Roush and Saleen certain things like supercharger, brakes, suspension are all standard so if you are going to charge more these should be standard features.

How many people plan to order one?

The reason to buy one without a supercharger is that the original GT350 did not have one. Some see NA as the true reflection of the GT350, which reflection was maintained in the 2007-2008 Shelby GT (with the supercharger as an option there as well, but post-title).

As to the "why" behind making standard features options, it is marketing. They will sell you one for "x" and, to the outside world, it will look every bit as good as one with the options. Some buy the cars for the look while others buy it for both the look and the performance. Candidly, I don't see them selling many of these cars.

There isn't the image for these current Shelby GTs that the 2007-2008 version has or the image that the return of the GT500 carried with it. The horsepower wars have now gotten to the point of numbers rather than a passion for the historical vehicles that spawned the current ones.

It is a curious thing finding that, now, I own one of the "original" Shelby GTs. Makes the 2007-2008 cars sound old, which at 7 or 8 years I guess they are.

Bottom line, Shelby is trying to stay in the specialty car market and, to do that, they have to offer new products or at least refreshed products. It's a tough business.

Jim

I can see the point. If someone wanted an SGT as a daily driver they may well not want a super charger on it. And of course some may want to track it and that may call for a N/A package.

I would never sell my 2008 Shelby GT/SC for any car not even this one

I knew why they changed the package has to do with exporting the car rather the standard and options changes I was questioning and certain things should be standard and don't understand why they took them off?

I will probably order one as I need the automatic and since I regret not ordering the 2011 GT350 when I had one reserved I can't let this 627hp beast go by. I am looking to BUY a 2011 Shelby GT350 if know anyone selling one?

I really like the 2015 body style and the Shelby version keeps the lines better than Roush and Saleen and I guess you can never have too many Shelby Mustangs

On the Roush and Saleen certain things like supercharger, brakes, suspension are all standard so if you are going to charge more these should be standard features.

You can get a 2015 Roush 5.0 without the supercharger also. That is the Stage 2. You can also get a 2015 Saleen 5.0 without a supercharger.

I would like to echo Jim Clark's comments above. I've talked with many enthusiasts about this new car, and while we all like what SA has done with the new Shelby GT, the price is just way over the top. If I had some input, I would get rid of the overpriced wheels and all that carbon fiber which both add substantially to the price. Additionally, the price to paint the carbon fiber is way too expensive. The market for these cars can't be the younger generation since very few of then would have the funds to purchase a $75000-$80,000 Mustang. While the younger guys might like that raw, carbon fiber look, it does nothing for me knowing that I would be driving around in a car that looked half finished without paint.

I have to agree with John, if Shelby is going to sell these GT upgrade packages, they are going to have to find a competitive price point which in my humble opinion is still around what the 2007-08 run of vehicles was. Improving the delivery time and a better price point should increase car sales. I suspect there have been very few orders of the new package.

Edit: Just went to the website and while the base price has been reduced the website order placement does not allow you to proceed without the supercharger option. I guess they will get around to that. I still believe the package could be trimmed with the wheels being an option and carbon fiber hood being an option to reduce it more.

I specked out a black convertible with red stripes and silver wheels. The way I would order my GT with Auto and the goodies (creature comforts), the $23,500 entry point is still a bit much plus car purchase. But it is a nice looking Shelby GT.

Just constructive criticism....... GG

Yes the "White Label" Saleen is naturally aspirated, while the Yellow and Black are supercharged. I'll be at Saleen Tuesday poking around. Who knows I may buy one while I'm there !

While you are at Saleen see if you can get a legit answer as to will they be in business to build cars or not? I may want to do a Saleen too but I'd be very wary of giving a deposit. I am fan of Saleen but until there is a guarantee I couldn't do it

I would like to echo Jim Clark's comments above. I've talked with many enthusiasts about this new car, and while we all like what SA has done with the new Shelby GT, the price is just way over the top. If I had some input, I would get rid of the overpriced wheels and all that carbon fiber which both add substantially to the price. Additionally, the price to paint the carbon fiber is way too expensive. The market for these cars can't be the younger generation since very few of then would have the funds to purchase a $75000-$80,000 Mustang. While the younger guys might like that raw, carbon fiber look, it does nothing for me knowing that I would be driving around in a car that looked half finished without paint.

Many of the Carbon Fiber pieces are now options and why anyone would want to paint them kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. You want Carbon Fiber for strength and weight reduction and paint just adds weight

While you are at Saleen see if you can get a legit answer as to will they be in business to build cars or not? I may want to do a Saleen too but I'd be very wary of giving a deposit. I am fan of Saleen but until there is a guarantee I couldn't do it

Saleen cars only sell through dealers. If a car is ordered at the dealership, the dealership most likely will hold the deposit, especially under current circumstances. Part of the reason for my visit is for what you speak of, and also to look at a particular car of interest.

Many of the Carbon Fiber pieces are now options and why anyone would want to paint them kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. You want Carbon Fiber for strength and weight reduction and paint just adds weight

Many of us are not buying the car to race. I understand the weight savings, but what...100 pounds less, makes no significant difference to me or my driving style.

Saleen cars only sell through dealers. If a car is ordered at the dealership, the dealership most likely will hold the deposit, especially under current circumstances. Part of the reason for my visit is for what you speak of, and also to look at a particular car of interest.

I talked to someone there and when pressed him for dealer info. he gave me a dealer in the middle of nowhere Florida and said they carry Saleen's onsite and when I said no that's not what I want as I want to know who the dealers are and I will call which one I want and I got no reply. There are a few dealers throughout the country that I would never do business with ever so anytime I ask for info. its like they don't want to tell you.

I was considering flying to CA because I want to see the Black Label in person but until I get a legit answer as to if they're building them I'm not going to waste my time. Besides I'm leaning towards the Shelby GT anyway because they kept the lines of the 2015 compared to Roush and Saleen.

I talked to someone there and when pressed him for dealer info. he gave me a dealer in the middle of nowhere Florida and said they carry Saleen's onsite and when I said no that's not what I want as I want to know who the dealers are and I will call which one I want and I got no reply. There are a few dealers throughout the country that I would never do business with ever so anytime I ask for info. its like they don't want to tell you.

I was considering flying to CA because I want to see the Black Label in person but until I get a legit answer as to if they're building them I'm not going to waste my time. Besides I'm leaning towards the Shelby GT anyway because they kept the lines of the 2015 compared to Roush and Saleen.

I'll be at Saleen in a few hours. I'll see what I can find out for you. Are you interested in a Black Label, automatic ?

So out of curiosity I just "built" a 2015 Mustang at Ford.com that most closely resembles my 2007 Shelby GT. It came to an MSRP of $37,520. Then I see, at Shelby American, that it would cost an additional $39,995 !!! to turn that Mustang into a Shelby GT - base with no other options ( similar to my 2007). for a grand total of $77,515 vs. the $37,900 I paid in total, including Shelby package, for mine only 8 years ago.

$40,000 more dollars??? Did I do something wrong? It's a beautiful car but I can't see where it's $40K more car than my "classic" 2007.

So out of curiosity I just "built" a 2015 Mustang at Ford.com that most closely resembles my 2007 Shelby GT. It came to an MSRP of $37,520. Then I see, at Shelby American, that it would cost an additional $39,995 !!! to turn that Mustang into a Shelby GT - base with no other options ( similar to my 2007). for a grand total of $77,515 vs. the $37,900 I paid in total, including Shelby package, for mine only 8 years ago.

$40,000 more dollars??? Did I do something wrong? It's a beautiful car but I can't see where it's $40K more car than my "classic" 2007.

Base is also 627 supercharged hp now compared to 319 in 2007, wheels, tires, so much more. There's not much comparison to the 2007 SGT vs the 2015 other than name. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative in any way as I own a GT-H, but it really is an entire different animal. I'm pretty much at the same investment now in my H as that and still do not have that much power and would be smoked at any track compared to the 2015 SGT.

Base is also 627 supercharged hp now compared to 319 in 2007, wheels, tires, so much more. There's not much comparison to the 2007 SGT vs the 2015 other than name. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative in any way as I own a GT-H, but it really is an entire different animal. I'm pretty much at the same investment now in my H as that and still do not have that much power and would be smoked at any track compared to the 2015 SGT.

Jeff, I understand all that, and I know that "value" is a somewhat subjective term, but for the things you mentioned I still can't see $40K more. Maybe $15K more. In addition, even w/ all the extra power I would not be driving any faster, so it would be wasted. Plus insurance and property taxes (here in CT) would be much higher.

I guess in summary what I'm saying is - I'm really happy with my '07 Shelby GT! :)

I'll pm you about my experience at Saleen today. On another note, I did buy a car while I was there !

Jeff, I understand all that, and I know that "value" is a somewhat subjective term, but for the things you mentioned I still can't see $40K more. Maybe $15K more. In addition, even w/ all the extra power I would not be driving any faster, so it would be wasted. Plus insurance and property taxes (here in CT) would be much higher.

I guess in summary what I'm saying is - I'm really happy with my '07 Shelby GT! :)

I agree with you Bob, I didn't even run any numbers because I know I won't be buying one, but it does seem like a large amount of coin. I'll stick with my '07 and keep my Focus as my daily driver.

Shelby changed the package on the 2015 so the price is very different depending on what you choose

I like the 2015 because its a completely new car and I been waiting for the IRS. I had one of those T-Bird SC and driving with the IRS was so far superior to the live axle especially when turning it was great to drive.

Our 07/08 GT's lacking power well you can always swap in a 5.0 Coyote and never spend the big bucks on a new car and Shelby package and then our cars are real sleepers. Yes, my GT/SC is very fast but a GT500 would eat it along with a new supercharged Coyote as 100 more hp is a huge deal

I think Shelby is making a big mistake.

Looking at the brochure, it is basically like an 07-08 package for $15,000 more than the $8,000 I/we paid in the N/A...

Now, I have a LOT more than that sitting in my garage, but mine is definitely prettier and every bit as fast.

Good luck selling them

Looking at the brochure, it is basically like an 07-08 package for $15,000 more than the $8,000 I/we paid in the N/A...

Now, I have a LOT more than that sitting in my garage, but mine is definitely prettier and every bit as fast as the pricier SC option.

Good luck selling them

Now, I have a LOT more than that sitting in my garage, but mine is definitely prettier and every bit as fast.

Good luck selling them

the new one would be a lot more rarer if supercharger was standard now its just like any 07/08

Archived