TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Gt Stories

Gump

I have read a lot of topics in this forum and enjoy reading the stories that everyone has about there car. Hopefully my SGT will be in Mn within the next few weeks but until then what is everyone's stories on there cars. Long stories or short stories do not matter and I will post my story when the car comes. Until then it sure does pass the time to read about everyone's special cars...especially when at work.

• 3 weeks later...

In 2007 I was looking for a GT500. But I wasn't willing to pay the markup the dealerships wanted. I stumbled across our SGT on accident at a local dealership. I thought it was pretty sharp looking so I bought it. Fast forward to 2008 and the recession. I found another local dealer that was willing to sell a 2009 GT500 at sticker. So I sold off my 428 CJ parts I had laying around and got the 09.

I always hated the hole in the lower part of the grill and found the insert for sale on SPP. While doing a web search on doing the proper install I happened to find a link to Team Shelby and discovered that guys were having issues with the insert being too long. Turned out that mine was oversize as well. So after doing some grinding on the lower grill fins I joined Team Shelby and posted how I installed it. If it wasn't for the vendor making the insert too long I wouldn't be posting this now. Funny how things work out and I'm glad they did mess up. I met a lot of great folks here on this forum simply because of Shelby leaving a gaping hole in the grill and a vendor screw up.

After I got the 09 I passed off the SGT to my better half. She hardly drives it and it has roughly 1800 on the clock. Sad but true. In 2010 I had a Whipple put on it. That made quite a difference performance - wise but she still hardly drives it. :doh:

So the guys on the NTT thread kid me about how she uses it to drive to our mailbox and back again hence the reason for the low miles. Good luck with yours and try to get out as much as you can before the snow starts flying again.

At first I thought who would care about this story, really? Later I thought it would be nice to just write something out and see where it goes.

I joined TS in the throes of the mania for the SGT. When the GTH first came out, I really wanted one given my affinity for the 65-66 Shelby Mustang. My first thoughts about owning one was the urge for a manual transmission, and Shelby solved that with the release of the SGT. I lurked on TS trying to learn as much about the car, and was immediately turned off by the ADM tales. So I decided to wait until used ones would hit the market in a couple of years.

I had thought that I would eventually buy a 08 Blue one, but a black 07 NorCal version from a TS member in San Diego was advertised in these forums and on eBay. Given that I am a Californian transplant stuck living in New England, I figured why not bring a bit of Calif. back to me. This was Fall of 2009 and the car only had 4K miles with most of that participating in the CS 85th B-day Bash. Two strong selling points: CS sat in the car to sign the airbag cover at the bash, and the car was sold new at Hollister, CA, not far from where I lived my high school years and my passion for Mustangs was kindled (much more to that story). It was vouched by a TS member (another Tom, from Hollister whose posts I really respect). My bid of just under 25K took it.

Way before considering the SGT, I had been active at SCCA Autocross. The fact that by the time I bought the car, the SGT was a 3 time national class champion (echoing the GT-350 history of 65-67 SCCA Championships) and another factor in why I liked the car. It rewarded me with a 2010 FS class championship in my region. Side note: the current SCCA CAM class is just perfect for any SGT regardless of modification. Since then I have learned the joys of the car on track days and the strip. So far I have about 15K miles on it, almost all of them going to race the car somewhere in the Northeast. Another SCCA plug: if you haven't taken advantage of their Track Night events across the country this year, you are really missing out on cheap fun.

A final note: while all the other modern Shelbys are nice, and I wouldn't mind owning a few if I could afford them (I certainly tried to sell a few at NYC auto shows with SA), I dare anyone to make a closer connection between the original GT-350 and the original SGT/GTH.

-Tom

Thanks Tom,

I took a break from studying finals to read your story. I will definitely do some research on the Track Night events and see if any are close or in Mn. (Fairly new to all of this) I am still grasping the fact that I am an owner of an SGT that was delivered yesterday.

I appreciate the read. It proves without a doubt that cars are not just a mean of transportation but a part of the people who love them.

Thanks,

Forrest

Thanks Tom,

I took a break from studying finals to read your story. I will definitely do some research on the Track Night events and see if any are close or in Mn. (Fairly new to all of this) I am still grasping the fact that I am an owner of an SGT that was delivered yesterday.

I appreciate the read. It proves without a doubt that cars are not just a mean of transportation but a part of the people who love them.

Thanks,

Forrest

Excellent... Sounds like a good beginning to your SGT story. The experience is the thing. There are many other orgs/clubs

that do track days, so I would start with your closest track first.

-Tom

Archived