TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Locked Tune

The tune on the SS is supposed to be "locked" from my understanding. Is it possible to re-tune the pcm through a local tuner? The verts are only available in the 600hp version, and I'm already way past that with my mood so I don't want to go backward as far a hp and tq.

No, not locked. It is my understanding that everyone will get 600 H.P. with a tuner left in the trunk to take it up to 725 when they get home.

No, not locked. It is my understanding that everyone will get 600 H.P. with a tuner left in the trunk to take it up to 725 when they get home.

Great news! Only thing still bothering me is that both the 600hp version and the 725+hp version are identical except for the tune. Now 125hp difference in just a tune is huge increase! Either the 600hp version is seriously de-tuned or there is more to the 725hp version than just a tune.

May be the 600crank (510?wheel) is more analygous to the stocker with CAI and tune and the 725crank (615?wheel) actually begins to exploit the superior breathing of the TVS (and the other SS mods) within the limits of the stock fuel system, etc. But I would expect that pulleyed and with a few mods (like the KB kit uses, e.g. pump boosters...) it can be tuned right to the limits of 93-octane -- gotta be 700+wheel in the TVS, imo.

Are you saying that the advertised HP ratings from SAI are crank HP numbers?

615RWHP is not much more than I have now for under $1500.

Is the other $25,000 cosmetic?

I'm starting to feel sorry for some people. Are people really that in love with having SAI "touch" their cars?

I don't get it, maybe I am missing something.

Yes, crank... I think the SS is gorgeous, if pricey, and there are a lot of substantial chassis/handling/exhaust, etc mods too and it will always be someting unique. That said, if it's the HP you want, the +/-$5,600 Roush/FRP TVS kit would be the ticket, imo. But even that's a big ticket to just lose the heat soak of the stocker and why I'm so anxious to see some tuners pick it up and make some magic ;-)

May be the 600crank (510?wheel) is more analygous to the stocker with CAI and tune and the 725crank (615?wheel) actually begins to exploit the superior breathing of the TVS (and the other SS mods) within the limits of the stock fuel system, etc. But I would expect that pulleyed and with a few mods (like the KB kit uses, e.g. pump boosters...) it can be tuned right to the limits of 93-octane -- gotta be 700+wheel in the TVS, imo.

It took a tune, CAI, and a smaller pulley to get me the same gains. Both versions of the SS are the same price with the exact same parts, so again, if they are getting 125hp out of just a tune, then the warranty version must be really de-tuned.

I'm starting to feel sorry for some people. Are people really that in love with having SAI "touch" their cars?

I guess you need to ask yourself a few questions to get the answer.....but everyone will answer will be different.

Before you had this car, lets say you were out driving around town or at a car show or even watching BJ auctions on TV. When you seen one of those older SHELBY's, what went thru your mind & what did you say to yourself about ever getting/owning one?

What does the word "SHELBY" represent or really mean to you?

Why do you currently love your car; is it because of who/what it represents or is it because of the HP it has?

I guess you need to ask yourself a few questions to get the answer.....but everyone will answer will be different.

Before you had this car, lets say you were out driving around town or at a car show or even watching BJ auctions on TV. When you seen one of those older SHELBY's, what went thru your mind & what did you say to yourself about ever getting/owning one?

What does the word "SHELBY" represent or really mean to you?

Why do you currently love your car; is it because of who/what it represents or is it because of the HP it has?

The SHELBY means a whole lot more on this car than id did on the POS Dodge that wore it several years ago

In all honest, the 'Shelby' means nothing to me.

I think the car looks really cool and mean and it is a Ford product.

That says everything to me.

The car was over priced, but within a limit that I was able to get to.

This car to me is as close to an exotic car that I would ever be able to get.

It has awesome power and great looks.

I guess the Shelby stuck on the back is simply a perk.

Shelby today is not what it was in the 60's. Back then they had hands on experience in racing, today it is simply an aftermarket business that does car add ons.

I know the truth hurts, but the truth is still the truth. :

Some one finally gets it!!! Not saying I don't like the car nor that I wouldn't want to own one but today's Shelby just isn't the same as the originals. I doubt the new cars will command the respect nor increase in value like the old cars did.

(Dons flame suit) :doh:

Shelby today is not what it was in the 60's. Back then they had hands on experience in racing, today it is simply an aftermarket business that does car add ons.

I know the truth hurts, but the truth is still the truth.

+1

Anyone that bought a GT500 could have done everything that is delivered on the GT500 with the exception of the engine displacement by buying a GT and modding it out with suspension and horsepower improvements. And that route would have saved the outrageous ADM's that the Dealers were asking. So why buy a Shelby? I think it's because the Shelby name does still mean something to enthusiasts whether SAI is still involved in racing or not. Besides the real story about racing is that when Henry Ford the deuce asked Carroll Shelby to go racing with Ford products it was because he didn't know how or want to make the effort to win championships. Ford is willing to make the kind of performance cars and homulgate them to compete now as this example shows:

Ford Racing FR500C Mustang Clinches Grand-Am Championship

Oct 10, 2005 by: Grand American Road Racing

Despite Tom Nastasi and Ian James outlasting the rest of the field in a wet and wild finale in the VIR 200 at Virginia International Raceway, fellow Mustang driver David Empringham, Ford and Multimatic claimed the 2005 Grand-Am Cup Series driver, manufacturer and team championships.

So Ford and Shelby have a different relationship than they did in 1967. I think that should be expected. Company's change but Bill Ford didn't go to anyone else when he needed a performance inspired flagship for the company. Carrolls endorsement is good enough for me.

What about the Tooth Fairy? Is s/he the same? :hysterical2:

I thought this thread was about a locked tune?

I will continue to go off topic since that is the theme of this thread.

My 2 cents:

The Shelby GT500 is a 40th annv car. The fact that Carrol at 84 is involved in this car and other Shelbys is very cool and it will not be the same when he is gone. That does mean something to me and draws more intrest of mine to this car. The car is the coolest looking Mustang on the market. The car is very powerful and easy to mod and get more HP. There is no other automotive Icon that I want a signature of and I will be very proud to sport his name on my dash.

I would of bought this car if it was a SVT Cobra, but the fact that it is a Shelby makes it very special for me.

I thought this thread was about a locked tune?

I will continue to go off topic since that is the theme of this thread.

My 2 cents:

The Shelby GT500 is a 40th annv car. The fact that Carrol at 84 is involved in this car and other Shelbys is very cool and it will not be the same when he is gone. That does mean something to me and draws more intrest of mine to this car. The car is the coolest looking Mustang on the market. The car is very powerful and easy to mod and get more HP. There is no other automotive Icon that I want a signature of and I will be very proud to sport his name on my dash.

I would of bought this car if it was a SVT Cobra, but the fact that it is a Shelby makes it very special for me.

Can you verify that there is two different blowers for the SS package? It was my assumption that the difference in the packages was the tune and pulley size, now people are posting that the difference is two different blowers.

Everyone has diferent opinions on this, free country.

I think for the amount of mod's they are doing, and the amount & quality of parts and labor make this a decent deal. Do the math. And it's not just about HP, it's about balance and a complete package (the sum is greater than the parts).

Wheather or not you even like Shelby, you have to admit that for the price, you are getting alot of quality componants that will make this a better balanced, more potent machine with exclusivity to boot.

This isn't simply about HP, but about handling, a coordinated package (right parts together) being sold as a whole, all at once. Better balance, less heat soak, broader power band, more HP...

So, whether you are a Shelby fan or not, you have got to agree that Amy & SAI (and Mr. S himself) have put together a serious package.

PS, Isn't this thread about the locked (or not) tune???? :hysterical: Just wondering (hint, hint)!

Everyone has diferent opinions on this, free country.

I think for the amount of mod's they are doing, and the amount & quality of parts and labor make this a decent deal. Do the math. And it's not just about HP, it's about balance and a complete package (the sum is greater than the parts).

Wheather or not you even like Shelby, you have to admit that for the price, you are getting alot of quality componants that will make this a better balanced, more potent machine with exclusivity to boot.

This isn't simply about HP, but about handling, a coordinated package (right parts together) being sold as a whole, all at once. Better balance, less heat soak, broader power band, more HP...

So, whether you are a Shelby fan or not, you have got to agree that Amy & SAI (and Mr. S himself) have put together a serious package.

PS, Isn't this thread about the locked (or not) tune???? :hysterical: Just wondering (hint, hint)!

+1 ;)

----

I think there is one TVS R2300 S/C and two tunes (and possibly two diff pulleys). KB does the same thing, diff pulley/tune for diff output... It's possible it's the same pulley, but that's an awefull big diff for the same boost. Another possibility is that the boost gate may be a different design and somehow gain-ride the boost, but I've never heard of that (to modulate the max amount of boost as opposed to relieve pumping losses when no boost is required).

+1 ;)

----

I think there is one TVS R2300 S/C and two tunes (and possibly two diff pulleys). KB does the same thing, diff pulley/tune for diff output... It's possible it's the same pulley, but that's an awefull big diff for the same boost. Another possibility is that the boost gate may be a different design and somehow gain-ride the boost, but I've never heard of that (to modulate the max amount of boost as opposed to relieve pumping losses when no boost is required).

Two different blowers just doesn't make any sense considering the pricing. What other blower could SAI use for the 600hp version? The stocker will do more than that now with just a tune, pulley, and CAI. Now they could just add those mods to the stock blower to obtain the rated hp but who would drop $28k on that package?!! It's got to be the same blower with different tunes and pullies, nothing else would make any sense.

The way I read the SS, there's a lot more that's not cosmetic. Different brakes, better handling via suspension changes, shifter, rear gear, etc.

AD

Granted, you obviously didn't buy the car for the Shelby name from your feedback above. But, I personally thought it weighed heavily in my decision to buy this car. I personally would have probably purchased a faster, better handling car, but I saw this as an very unique opportunity to own a car with the name of a person that had a very heavy influence on this industry. And, at the current time, you don't have many "working agreements" with a major manufacturer and living legend in place.

Of course Carroll Shelby is not involved in hands on competitive racing at his age, but he is a legend in the industry. For comparison sake, consider the following:

- Why did Chrysler bring back the Hemi. Hell, now it's just a replicated motor built by a German owned company (as of six weeks ago)? Who really knows who owns it now?

- Why did anyone go to the effort to produce the Parnelli Jones Mustang? What's his contribution to racing today? Why is it commanding the prices it is today?

-Why does Dale Earnhardt Sr. licensed merchandise continue to be one of the best selling brands in NASCAR today. Heck, he hasn't been behind the wheel for several years for obvious reasons.

-Or as a contrast, why do Dale Jr. products continue to be the highest selling licensed merchandise brand in NASCAR. He has nowhere near the number of wins that many drivers currently have on the circuit.

-Why is Chevrolet bringing back the Camaro. That car is part of the past. Why would there be demand for that outdated name plate?

-Any thoughts on why Chysler is bringing back the Challenger?

-By the way, what is up with all of this retro styling on vehicles today? Those styles are no near where as effective as they were in the late 60's?

-And last, but not least, why don't we mass produce the Ruffstang?

Now let the fun begin. I'm going to have a beer.

HSURB

The way I read the SS, there's a lot more that's not cosmetic. Different brakes, better handling via suspension changes, shifter, rear gear, etc.

AD

Yup :yup: , yup :yup: , and yup :yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup: . And wheels & tires-- they're Part of the handling package as well. Most of the package is not cosmetic. That's why I like it, it's not just tape & badges, it's about real gains on this platform...

Granted, you obviously didn't buy the car for the Shelby name from your feedback above. But, I personally thought it weighed heavily in my decision to buy this car. I personally would have probably purchased a faster, better handling car, but I saw this as an very unique opportunity to own a car with the name of a person that had a very heavy influence on this industry. And, at the current time, you don't have many "working agreements" with a major manufacturer and living legend in place.

Of course Carroll Shelby is not involved in hands on competitive racing at his age, but he is a legend in the industry. For comparison sake, consider the following:

- Why did Chrysler bring back the Hemi. Hell, now it's just a replicated motor built by a German owned company (as of six weeks ago)? Who really knows who owns it now?

- Why did anyone go to the effort to produce the Parnelli Jones Mustang? What's his contribution to racing today? Why is it commanding the prices it is today?

-Why does Dale Earnhardt Sr. licensed merchandise continue to be one of the best selling brands in NASCAR today. Heck, he hasn't been behind the wheel for several years for obvious reasons.

-Or as a contrast, why do Dale Jr. products continue to be the highest selling licensed merchandise brand in NASCAR. He has nowhere near the number of wins that many drivers currently have on the circuit.

-Why is Chevrolet bringing back the Camaro. That car is part of the past. Why would there be demand for that outdated name plate?

-Any thoughts on why Chysler is bringing back the Challenger?

-By the way, what is up with all of this retro styling on vehicles today? Those styles are no near where as effective as they were in the late 60's?

-And last, but not least, why don't we mass produce the Ruffstang?

Now let the fun begin. I'm going to have a beer.

HSURB

..Or the Z06, for that matter! :beerchug:

What IS cool is that we are all discussing this just like real grown-ups (except for me)! :hysterical: And even though we all have different flavors of opinions, you are all still great guys & gals in my book :cry:

edited for clarity...

Some one finally gets it!!! Not saying I don't like the car nor that I wouldn't want to own one but today's Shelby just isn't the same as the originals. I doubt the new cars will command the respect nor increase in value like the old cars did.

(Dons flame suit) :doh:

Your right, its NOT the same as the originals,...its Better! The new GT500 SS will make this the best shelby gt500 ss produced through Carroll and SAI (great group of hotrodder gearheads). It'll be faster,more hp,better handling (road course,corners and strip),more creature comforts,basicly better technology all the way around than the original,and it'll be very limited (rare) to boot. Carroll himself said he wanted one of the baddest cars on the planet(for the money) and its better all the way around than the original GT500SS in 67. Thats Carroll's words and along with him saying: "“The Ford Shelby GT500 is fast, but hard core enthusiasts asked us for a way make their Shelby a more aggressive, balanced performing track car,” said Carroll Shelby, founder of Shelby Automobiles. “Thanks to our partnership with Ford Racing, our Super Snake package will make their stock Shelby GT500 one of the most balanced, fastest, most fearsome muscle cars in the world (for the money). I'm going to hunt Vipers and Corvettes with mine”. Call it publicity or call it what you want, but I personally know this man and his reputation as well as his word is Gold! The Man would not make these claims unless it was true, as his reputation would be on the line. And I'm sure this new GT500 SS WILL BE ONE BAAAD Monster of a car.Wait to some real road course and track times, and dyno #'s come out,and then we'll see. Original shelby mustangs could only dream to have such numbers,watch. Don't get me wrong as I like the old ones too,( as I own an early one), but state of the art technology combined with Carroll and SAI, will not be denied! I really think if you know Carroll, he's a true hotrodder by heart and he says it just like it is and I totally believe him, as I use to work for him about 28 years ago or so,and he is as trustworthy as they come. GO GET EM CARROLL!! :shades:

Your right, its NOT the same as the originals,...its Better! The new GT500 SS will make this the best shelby gt500 ss produced through Carroll and SAI (great group of hotrodder gearheads). It'll be faster,more hp,better handling (road course,corners and strip),more creature comforts,basicly better technology all the way around than the original,and it'll be very limited (rare) to boot. Carroll himself said he wanted one of the baddest cars on the planet and its better all the way around than the original GT500SS in 67. Thats Carroll's words and along with him saying: "“The Ford Shelby GT500 is fast, but hard core enthusiasts asked us for a way make their Shelby a more aggressive, balanced performing track car,” said Carroll Shelby, founder of Shelby Automobiles. “Thanks to our partnership with Ford Racing, our Super Snake package will make their stock Shelby GT500 one of the most balanced, fastest, most fearsome muscle cars in the world (for the money). I'm going to hunt Vipers and Corvettes with mine”. Call it publicity or call it what you want, but I personally know this man and his reputation as well as his word is Gold! The Man would not make these claims unless it was true, as his reputation would be on the line. And I'm sure this new GT500 SS WILL BE ONE BAAAD Monster of a car.Wait to some real road course and track times, and dyno #'s come out,and then we'll see. Original shelby mustangs could only dream to have such numbers,watch. Don't get me wrong as I like the old ones to,(I own one), but state of the art technology combined with Carroll and SAI, will not be denied! I really think if you know Carroll, he's a true hotrodder by heart and he says it just like it is and I totally believe him, as I use to work for him about 25 years ago,and he is as trustworthy as they come.

IMHO

I suspect that in 1967 owners didn't realize the 2007 value of their original Shelby's. That was a major part of what makes them so desirable today. I trust the owners of the New Shelby's are made up of a mix as to the value and collect ability of the car. It is all about predicting the future. Albeit fortunate or unfortunate we have hindsight confusing the hell out of a lot of us. Go figure...Now to my point, The Mustang is one of the most popular cars in the history of the automobile. The Marketing department at Ford is brilliant and continues to do a great job balancing this jewel.

I am one of many in the GT500 target demographic...35-54 male who so remember the 67 and later Shelby’s. Our prime years and the rebirth of the muscle car have generated such a desire in those of us who couldn’t even drive the car back in the early 70’s have craved it's comeback for years. The market drives the demand for this car and Ford has the responsibility of balancing that market by maintaining our desire for it with limiting the product for the Shelby name to retain its history, respect and value.

At 14 years of age I thought the Shelby GT500 was the coolest car to have. At 27 I bought my 1st Mustang 5.0 coupe and like no other car I have owned, hooked me for life. Once America slipped away from gas price concerns and the trend for “More Power” took hold, I saw history repeating itself. Viola, the science of Product Marketing is understood differently today that in 1967. Excitement cause by the slow release of the Shelby GT500 created a passion for a lot of us to do what ever it takes to get one. The hype from EBay auctions to ADM’s created a “Will I ever be able to get one” emotion that led to “jump at any chance”

If I had the coin, I would get every mod available 40th, KR, SS what ever they came out with and I think some of us may feel the same way but our resources are limited. The car is awesome! If history repeats itself the car will become worthless before it becomes a collectable. I could care less what it does, I have the car of my dreams.

The answer to much of this is that people buy into the hype. The GT500 would still be awesome to me as a SVT Cobra and I might have gotten it a little cheaper if it didn't have Carroll's name on it.

I don't watch any racing like drag racing or Nascar, so I don't know much of how great some of these others you speak of are. Perhaps it is just like singers, it doesn't matter how good or bad some singers lives are (ie: in/out of jail, or doing drugs) people still buy into the hype and buy their records.

We all buy into life, so whatever someone else is getting into, we want a part of it. Part of the RETRO comeback I think is that the american companies are scared of losing sales to the foreign companies so in effect they are saying "remember when?"

It would be nice to have some small company make unique cars such as the Rufstang collectables, but the government and ecologist have so over regulated car manufacturing that it is not affordable.

I think what SAI and other companies (like Roush) is are doing is great, but I don't beleive it makes a car a legend like it use to. And unforunately it is getting to the point that only the rich and the famous can afford anything from them.

OK then, IYO What makes a car a LEGEND then? (now or back in the day)

Archived