TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Extremely Aggravate At Hood Pins

Hi all,

I am trying to install the new "Shelby" hood pins on my 07SGT and I am having issues. When I install the "L" bracket and line them up with the holes drilled into the hood, that's all fine and dandy. When I put the pins through the "L" bracket on through the hood, the pins rub up against the edge of the hole on the hood. I have tried numerous times to try to push back the "L" but in the end the pins are rubbing up against the edge of the hole. How do I fix that issue ? Looking at the hood plates that looks like a even smaller hole so it looks like it will be a even tighter fit. How can I get the pins to fit through the plate and hood hole perfect without rubbing? Also the bag of screws for the hood plate that came in the kit....are they aluminum or stainless? If they are stainless, which screws do I buy....#6 1/2 inch Phillips screws?

Thank you for your time,

Francis

I see. Now I can see that solving the hole for the hood now what about the hood plates? So the plates will use the existing screw holes so there will only be one position for the plates. Even if I file down the hood hole to stop rubbing, Wont I still rub on the plate hole since that's a smaller hole ?

Thanks,

Francis

• 3 weeks later...

I just replaced the old hood pins with new ones on my 07 GT-H and had both problems - if you are using the upgraded 'billet' ones with the Shelby logo as I was. I looked at my 06 "L" brackets and they had a slight bend downward which effectively angled the pins to point slightly forward which made effectively a right angle to the slope of the hood. I put some pressure on the pins after they were installed to the point they yielded and bent forward and lined up with the holes. I had to do this a few times (bending up and down) and then realign the hood pins by loosening and then tightening the two lock nuts and eventually that solved the rubbing issue and then I was able to install the oblong billet disk (?) on the hood using the original screw holes and have Mr. Shelby's name pointed the right way. The final problem was getting the height of the holes in the hood pin to line up with the slots machined into the disks so the pin would go in without rubbing or having excessive play that would eventually scrach the disks. That was just a lot of trial and error raising and lowering of the pins. Be prepared to get a workout raising and lowering the hood. I hope all of that makes sense.

I did the same as the above team member above. Be careful and it will pay off. Billet upgrade discs are worth the effort.

I just replaced the old hood pins with new ones on my 07 GT-H and had both problems - if you are using the upgraded 'billet' ones with the Shelby logo as I was. I looked at my 06 "L" brackets and they had a slight bend downward which effectively angled the pins to point slightly forward which made effectively a right angle to the slope of the hood. I put some pressure on the pins after they were installed to the point they yielded and bent forward and lined up with the holes. I had to do this a few times (bending up and down) and then realign the hood pins by loosening and then tightening the two lock nuts and eventually that solved the rubbing issue and then I was able to install the oblong billet disk (?) on the hood using the original screw holes and have Mr. Shelby's name pointed the right way. The final problem was getting the height of the holes in the hood pin to line up with the slots machined into the disks so the pin would go in without rubbing or having excessive play that would eventually scrach the disks. That was just a lot of trial and error raising and lowering of the pins. Be prepared to get a workout raising and lowering the hood. I hope all of that makes sense.

Trying to get the billet set up on the H hood is a much more challenging feat. The angle of the hood where the pins are is quite a bit more than the stock Mustang hood on the Shelby GT. Great to have, but very difficult to get lined up to make work. Their actually not supposed to work on the H hood, but they will if you try hard enough.

Jeff,

Ignorance is bliss - Good thing I didn't know that when I bought them to put on my H Hood but yes I see your point that the angle of H hood is completely different than the Shelby GT hood. It took me the better part of the afternoon to get it right but I didn't have to make any alterations to the hood to make it fit. They are a huge improvement over the standard ones once they are set up properly - I will upgrade my 06 coupe next.

Archived