TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Old Girl Starting To Show Her Age....

cormy

Took the Shelby out last Sunday. Nicer weather must have brought out the other cars. On a 10 mile stretch of Rt 33 had a semi challenge by a Nissan 300Z, came up on a Nissan GTR, didn't mess with that ! :worship:

Coming back, a BMW of some sort challenged and paced me from behind out of nowhere. High speed burst but too much traffic to really get down to it. Hope it was an "M" at least. Don't think I would have been able to shake him.

Mind you I don't go looking for trouble.

2008 slight modification..

Ok brother..some other time!

Rt 33 seems to be a racers highway. Cant usually drive it without being challenged one way or another.

Maybe cause its long straight sections?

Making me re-consider adding the 3:73 rear end gears ;)

Hmmmm...not really. Since 2008 some powerful cars have been produced that match or exceed the GT500's 2008 performance numbers.

I think back then the GT500's were the kings of the strip but as auto manufactures got back into the performance mode, you would be surprised how many seemingly innocent appearing cars (and trucks for that matter) rival or exceed performance.

Only natural since once your car is made it stands still while the others that follow it become more advanced and are able to incorporate the latest technology.

Of course one can add modifications and such to TRY and raise the level of performance but then you run the risk of over stressing the chassis and other functioning systems of the older vehicle.

I wont go as far to say it's a dinosaur but I was looking at the 2015 GT's :whistling:

Hmmmm...not really. Since 2008 some powerful cars have been produced that match or exceed the GT500's 2008 performance numbers.

I think back then the GT500's were the kings of the strip but as auto manufactures got back into the performance mode, you would be surprised how many seemingly innocent appearing cars (and trucks for that matter) rival or exceed performance.

Only natural since once your car is made it stands still while the others that follow it become more advanced and are able to incorporate the latest technology.

Of course one can add modifications and such to TRY and raise the level of performance but then you run the risk of over stressing the chassis and other functioning systems of the older vehicle.

I wont go as far to say it's a dinosaur but I was looking at the 2015 GT's :whistling:

:talkhand::talkhand::talkhand:

Speak for yourself, I think you're wrong. Have fun going 13's in the GT. My car runs high 11's with just a tune, CAI and pulley. '07-'12 GT500's can run 10's with a reasonably-priced TVS supercharger upgrade.

Against highly-modified cars no one is competitive unless you highly modify yours too. Got barely beat by an old very highly modified Honda Civic blowing thick black smoke once. Must have put a huge turbo in it and I could barely see to drive because there was so much smoke. Who cares, his car was junk, not mine. Those guys look to race cars like ours and built their cars accordingly.

Edit: Let's reword this: YOUR car is no longer the highway top dog. Who makes an 11-second car since '08? GTR and Hellcat? As I and others mentioned earlier, all you need is an upgraded supercharger to handle just about any newer car out there, including the GTR and Fatcat.

Against highly-modified cars no one is competitive unless you highly modify yours too. Got barely beat by an old very highly modified Honda Civic blowing thick black smoke once. Must have put a huge turbo in it and I could barely see to drive because there was so much smoke. Who cares, his car was junk, not mine. Those guys look to race cars like ours and built their cars accordingly.

Edit: Let's reword this: YOUR car is no longer the highway top dog. Who makes an 11-second car since '08? GTR and Hellcat? As I and others mentioned earlier, all you need is an upgraded supercharger to handle just about any newer car out there, including the GTR and Fatcat.

:talkhand::talkhand::talkhand: lol..

A stock GTR will demolish a stock 2007 - 2012 GT500. The 2013 - 2014 GT500 will give the GTR an run (in a straight line only) both in stock trim with the advantage going to the best driver. With that said, owners of either car rarely keep them stock. Glad you are enjoying your '08! Fun cars to own if you set them up properly. To your point, you never know what the guy next to you has under the hood. I had a guy recently pull up next to me on the interstate in a brand new Z28. He hit the throttle and then so did I. Neither car was pulling away so we backed off, smiled at each other, and gave a thumbs up. Respect for two cool cars.

I've never seen anyone post up about the Hellcat as much as you. You're a closet Hellcat lover. Admit it! :hysterical2:

I ran a GTR... I beat him, but I have a TVS.

There really aren't that many cars that are faster than the GT500.

And if you think the 2015 GT is anywhere near it.... ummm no.

500 crank HP from the factory is pretty damn fast.

Put a TVS on and add more than 100hp and there's not many things that will keep up.

I ran a Ferrari 458 and left him. He was a cool guy and I would have rather had the Ferrari... but it wasn't as fast.

Just do what I do. When you're challenged, ignore them and let them wonder. I can "beat" any car like that with my Shelby GT.

Nice new (to you) GT500! I see you have a TVS. Have you run or dynoed the car yet?

nah, not yet. may never get around to it, actually. with the TVS kit plus the larger TB, shorty headers/hi-flow cats/straight mufflers, and custom tune file, I'm guessing it's somewhere north of 650hp at the crank. good enough for me.

Keeps me out of trouble and saves money!! LOL

I'm with you man.

These cars tend to attract others who want to prove they are faster so I've had plenty of people want to screw around and I just wave them by.

The only time I ever even think about it is if there's NO ONE else on the road.

But I've had people want to run me in friggin rush hour traffic.... just dumb.

I'm with you man.

These cars tend to attract others who want to prove they are faster so I've had plenty of people want to screw around and I just wave them by.

The only time I ever even think about it is if there's NO ONE else on the road.

But I've had people want to run me in friggin rush hour traffic.... just dumb.

I hear ya.... I've had a tool in an F-150 try to entice me in bumper to bumper traffic.... :doh:

I have to practice my patience because I like to show it off.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ha..yeah guys in pick up trucks... :lol:

True story and priceless. About 2 months ago I was trying to find the entrance to a highway in a screwed up construction area in the dark. I got this guy behind me on my ass in some POS pick up who wasn't giving me any slack. He's riding me the whole time and I know once we get on the highway he's going to try to blow by me.

Well, anticipating this, I let him go immediately to the left lane and yes he has it floored. I play around and give it enough throttle to keep us even, then pull away. Having lost interest about 1/2 mile down the road, I'm driving the speed limit, he's not giving up and eventually blows by and just after he passes me there is a PA State Trooper in the median. He plus out and pulls him over as I pass by. I was laughing so hard I nearly ran off the road. Could not have planed this ANY Better!! :yahoo:

Ha..yeah guys in pick up trucks... :lol:

True story and priceless. About 2 months ago I was trying to find the entrance to a highway in a screwed up construction area in the dark. I got this guy behind me on my ass in some POS pick up who wasn't giving me any slack. He's riding me the whole time and I know once we get on the highway he's going to try to blow by me.

Well, anticipating this, I let him go immediately to the left lane and yes he has it floored. I play around and give it enough throttle to keep us even, then pull away. Having lost interest about 1/2 mile down the road, I'm driving the speed limit, he's not giving up and eventually blows by and just after he passes me there is a PA State Trooper in the median. He plus out and pulls him over as I pass by. I was laughing so hard I nearly ran off the road. Could not have planed this ANY Better!! :yahoo:

it's called Karma! :hysterical:

Archived