TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are 2007 Shelby Gt's California Smog Legal?

Hello everyone,

I live in Los Angeles, CA, and am looking to purchase a low mileage white, '07 Shelby GT. A spoke to an out of state dealer and he told me that his '07 Shelby GT was not California smog compliant. I thought all later model cars were 50 state smog legal. Can someone share some light on this topic please? The salesman did not see the California smog compliant sticker under the hood. As some of you guys know, the DMV in California is very strict on emissions. Thanks.

I do not have my new car purchase papers at my fingertips, but I do not recall any complication for CA buyers of new SGTs. This was eight years ago, which allows for changes in CARB rules I cannot account for. It's also a long time to NOT mod an SGT in some manner.

Blowers and exhaust are two mods available through Shelby which may/may not be CARB compliant, so this could be a tough call. Can you determine what, if any, changes the former owner(s) may have undertaken? If so, list them here, I am sure someone will speak up.

Y'all be safe.

As I live in California, I'll tell you that all 2007 Shelby GTs were originally smog legal for all 50 states. Now if modifications have been done then you'll need to bring it back into being legal.

As far as the under hood emissions decal goes well, you can ask SPP about them.

Just out of my own curiosity, can anyone post a pic go the CARB sticker/decal spoken of here? I hear about it often, just want to know what the little gremlin looks like.

Y'all be safe.

Mac,

Look in the "Shelby GT Discussion" section under topic "Underhood Sticker Placement"

Note that it says "50 State" in the lower corner designating it being 50 state legal.

This topic is also covered in the "Shelby GT/SC" section under the topic of "California Smog"

Hope this helps

Yes, they are smog legal in CA. My first 2007 SGT came from out of state and it smogged just fine. Some of the SGT's have an incorrect sticker under the hood and a smog station that isn't familiar with this might give you a hard time, just go to another station. As stated above, the only issue might be mods but that's the case with any car, not just SGT's. If the guy you're talking to says it's not smog legal in CA, try and pin him down as to why not...he's probably incorrect.

Mac,

Look in the "Shelby GT Discussion" section under topic "Underhood Sticker Placement"

Note that it says "50 State" in the lower corner designating it being 50 state legal.

This topic is also covered in the "Shelby GT/SC" section under the topic of "California Smog"

Hope this helps

Thank you for the suggestions.

I did the google thing to see what had changed over the years. This also gave me access to what I was asking about, with an interesting note. Some aftermarket parts come with their own CARB stickers, quite the opposite of when we started out here. Back then, we were just happy that some goodies were available. Now it seems that all the bases are covered and compliance isnt as much of a hill climb as I imagined.

Thank you again.

Y'all be safe.

Bought mine new in San Rafael, CA: 10 minutes from San Francisco. And I've had it smogged at a smog station every few years with no problem.

There is a Shelby sticker under the hood that describes the smog system, etc.

Let me know if you want a pic of the sticker, just in case you want to make sure the car you're thinking about has one like it.

Good luck,

Bought mine new in San Rafael, CA: 10 minutes from San Francisco. And I've had it smogged at a smog station every few years with no problem.

There is a Shelby sticker under the hood that describes the smog system, etc.

Let me know if you want a pic of the sticker, just in case you want to make sure the car you're thinking about has one like it.

Good luck,

My two GTs also have the "Shelby" branded emissions stickers, on the underside of the hood, just to my left as I look up. My other Ford products read exactly the same, but say Ford. Is this the emission sticker that is up for discussion here? Are there any more anywhere else on the car? Should there be more? In the driver's door opening perhaps?

Just wondering, y'all be safe.

• 1 month later...

SAI built cars are/have been 50 state legal. The mod shop they had when at the LV speedway would do customer requested mods and were not necessarily bound by the 50 state smog compliant like the SAI factory that did pre title and customer post title builds. All the GT-H, SGT, SS, KR's etc where 50 state legal when they were completed. To that end, as mentioned if the SGT is stock or a SGT/SC done by SAI it should be smog legal here in CA.

Good luck with your possible purchase.

Archived