TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Smec Please Help!

Shelbydakota

There are no remaining new SMEC's for the Shelby Dakota (nor are there any of the upgrade kits). You might watch ebay or ads on various associated sites.

Do not send yours in for repair (like through a Dodge dealer) as what you get back will not be a Shelby model, and it may not run your truck. The only change Shelby made to the stock SMEC was to include the wiring to control the electric fans.

That said, you need to know what is bad in yours. There are 2 boards inside the SMEC case, one is the computer board, the other is the power board. If you have a charging or other electrical problem it is likely the power board is bad. If you have a drivability, operational, or code issue then it probably is the computer board.

There is a fix, but it is not entirely without some complications. The SMEC used in a 318 ci 1989 Ram will run your truck (or may be scavenged for the part to fix your SMEC). But the tach might not work, and the electric fans will not have computer control. For the fans, you can get a temp sensor switch from some place like Summitt and wire it in, This device will usually mount on the radiator and will turn the fans on/off when the preset temperature is reached.

Hope this helps.

That is what I've heard, although the four options I have purchased for the ram did not work. Did you have a success with the ram SMEC? Or do you know of anyone who did? All I've heard is that it will work, fans are simple. The power/spark logic side of my board is fried due to a battery bad cell and an over charge. What ram SMEC is it exactly? is there a person who has used a specific part #???

That is what I've heard, although the four options I have purchased for the ram did not work. Did you have a success with the ram SMEC? Or do you know of anyone who did? All I've heard is that it will work, fans are simple. The power/spark logic side of my board is fried due to a battery bad cell and an over charge. What ram SMEC is it exactly? is there a person who has used a specific part #???

I KNOW that a Smec from a 1989 RAM with the 318 engine will work, as others have done it. If you know that the power board in yours is bad, then you would only need to swap that from the replacement module.

Open your module by removing the screws that hold the 2 sides together. You will see in more detail what I am talking about (the two boards). The board with the 60 pin connector is the logic board, the board with the smaller connector is the power board. It sits on top of the logic board and just lifts out.

Check salvage yards in your area for an 89 Ram 318.

The original 89 Ram 318 SMEC (w/ automatic 4 spd) part number is 4379889.

Barry

• 6 months later...

The powerboard and the logic board cannot be changed/swapped, .. This has been a 3 year battle of how.. Majority say that a d150 smec will work, and just wire up some fans blah blah blah... You are missing the single most important thing that Shelby had to touch... I am the success story private message me to know how to fix your smec the correct way. I now daily my #1454 and I am proud to say there is no more guess work involved to this computer dilemma. Hmu if you want the real facts. Don't waste your hard earned money on d150 smec! ;)

The powerboard and the logic board cannot be changed/swapped, .. This has been a 3 year battle of how.. Majority say that a d150 smec will work, and just wire up some fans blah blah blah... You are missing the single most important thing that Shelby had to touch... I am the success story private message me to know how to fix your smec the correct way. I now daily my #1454 and I am proud to say there is no more guess work involved to this computer dilemma. Hmu if you want the real facts. Don't waste your hard earned money on d150 smec! ;)

We are not missing the "Shelby" fact. Other than modifying the SMEC to control the electric fans, the rest of the module is a STOCK 1989 318 SMEC. Shelby did not modify the existing engine calibration in ANY way. If he had, then the vehicle would have had to be re-submitted to the EPA to be certified for emissions. Shelby wanted to avoid that as it just added cost.

After the vehicle was introduced, Shelby offered an updated SMEC and throttle body kit, that provided about 25 more HP. But that SMEC was labeled "Off Road Use Only" to avoid the emissions hassle.

If you have come across a way to repair or "fix" the SMEC, why keep it secret or make folks PM you? Share it here. The info would certainly be welcome.

• 1 year later...