TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking At A Shelby Gt

Gump

Hi all,

I hope this is in the correct place.

I went and test drove this Shelby GT yesterday

I really enjoyed the car everything seems to check out. There are two questions that I have.

1. The paint was bubbled up around the Shelby Hood Pins. Is this a common occurrence?

2. When it came to price I felt it was high for having 50k miles on it. What is your opinion?

I know it is spring time and dealerships know people are looking for cars like this and dealerships are trying to get the most they can. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Forrest

As Jason said, hood pin plates and the screws that hold them don't play well with the aluminum hood due to disimilar metals. I keep a close eye on mine and haven't had issues yet!

From what I've seen, pricing for the SGT has been running from 15-25k depending on mileage and condition. Check ebay for some ideas, but be very careful and make sure the one you pick has all of the parts and paperwork!

Sam

Hi all,

I hope this is in the correct place.

I went and test drove this Shelby GT yesterday

I really enjoyed the car everything seems to check out. There are two questions that I have.

1. The paint was bubbled up around the Shelby Hood Pins. Is this a common occurrence?

2. When it came to price I felt it was high for having 50k miles on it. What is your opinion?

I know it is spring time and dealerships know people are looking for cars like this and dealerships are trying to get the most they can. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Forrest

Gump, what year SGT as 2008 SGT's usually sell for more than 2007 SGT's. Especially the 2008 verts. The hood pin paint corrosion has been discussed here on TS. Try searching previous posts using the words hood pin(s) or corrosion to read up on it. The solution is different mounting screws.

Steve

I you like it, you're not done looking at it. Go back and take some pics of it, send them to Steve as mentioned above or post them here. There will be no shortage of help, most of the folks here are really decent people. Most.

The car should have two Shelby serial plates on it. One in the center of the dash board, between the air conditioning ducts, that has Carroll Shelby's signature on it, and a serial number we call the "CSM" number, that should look like "CSM 08SGTXXXX". This number also appears on a tin plate under the hood, riveted to the frame at the left front corner. Get good snapshots of both and post them up here, the former owner may still be hanging out here, you may get some better answers. The more you tell us, the more we can tell you.

There will always be some chatter about "clones" and counterfeit Shelby automobiles, but by the time the SGT was released, the company had learned a lot since 1962. No need to worry yourself about this, I have not heard of anyone getting duped with the 07 and 08 editions, and that which followed. OTOH, I haven't been around for a while, so, its possible, yes. But not likely.

The SGT is a very nice car, but there is a ceiling on its market value. Some argue that an SGT in pristine condition should increase in value over time. Others do not, and they drive 'em daily, add mods left and right. But truth be told, the money one would make by faking true heritage would not be worth the effort. Maybe once we are all gone and there is one last "barn find", maybe. But dont let that possibilty stop you now. If you like it, own it, you wont be sorry. Besides, remember that the dealer bought it from someone, so, there is a paper chase to follow if fraud is suspected, or discovered later. Unlikely a counterfit would go through a dealer. No legit dealer would invest in the car for resale if things were not in order, only to protect themselves. Have to apply some common sense here, the counterfeit is better off as a private sale, with a lot of paperwork that really proves little, like selling a box of bricks as a computer, out of the trunk of a car in the WalMart parking lot. All things said, chance of fraud is low. Best bunch of cops is right here too.

Don't know what to say about mileage. From what you have posted, seems like around 8500 miles per year. Coming from an urban locale, that's a lot of trips to the store. Living where I do, it's a baby. Everything is 50 miles away, or so it seems. 2013 Mustang around here are averaging 75-80k mileage before Mama wants a new color. It's about how the car was cared for, and we may be able to help you with that. Get us the CSM number, let's take a peek?

Once you do buy it, get it into the Registry under your name. This will protect you in the future. Have the dealer make extra copies of the paperwork and send that to Steve.

Glad to have you join us, hope things go well.

Y'all be safe.

Thank you all.

I believe I found a Shelby GT from a collection with extremely low miles for just above what I wanted to spend. I sent the Shelby Serial Number to Steve. I will also call and get the VIN from the owner.

Thanks

Forrest

Thank you all.

I believe I found a Shelby GT from a collection with extremely low miles for just above what I wanted to spend. I sent the Shelby Serial Number to Steve. I will also call and get the VIN from the owner.

Thanks

Forrest

don't forget to leave plenty of room in your budget for the mods..... ;)

There will always be some chatter about "clones" and counterfeit Shelby automobiles, but by the time the SGT was released, the company had learned a lot since 1962. No need to worry yourself about this, I have not heard of anyone getting duped with the 07 and 08 editions, and that which followed. OTOH, I haven't been around for a while, so, its possible, yes. But not likely.

There have been several instances where the Shelby badges have been transferred from a scrap/salvage car to a "clone". You should verify the VIN and CSM badges with Steve.

Thank you all.

Thanks

Forrest

Just saw this too. You're on the right path!

I was wondering if anyone has used a car inspection service? I see a few but they all have horrible reviews. The Shelby GT I am looking at is across the country and unfortunately I do not have the time to go and see the car. I do trust the seller and have spoken to him many times. It was part of his Shelby collection and only has 15k miles on it. It is listed on a reputable website and has all the matching numbers and the pictures look excellent. Any advice? Also, can anyone vouch for a good shipping company?

Also the Carfax is clean and everything matches according to Steve.

Thanks,

Forrest

There have been several instances where the Shelby badges have been transferred from a scrap/salvage car to a "clone". You should verify the VIN and CSM badges with Steve.Just saw this too. You're on the right path!

Rather than import hearsay, do you have a link, or, a search parameter (here, or google is a good start) that will help correct my opinion?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Y'all be safe.

PS: I just spent about 45 min. trying a few different search parameters on google. The results revealed about 7 companies, two of which were Ford dealers, offering to build Shelby "clones" and "tributes". All but one would turn your donor car into a popular (most often requested) Shelby GT350 or GT 500. Only one offered to supply the donor car, "17 frames in stock", and preferred the "Eleanor" as a project. Almost all of them were focused on the 1965 to 1970 years, only a few offered to build you a Cobra kit car.

There was one interesting thread on the SAAC board, arguing and accusing a member of altering a VIN to "look like" a genuine Cobra VIN. Since I could not estimate exactly why this was a heated discussion, I didnt grasp what was meant by that. A google search will produce this discussion.

I have to stand by my earlier statement, that actual cloning of a 2007-2008 SGT and years since then, has not been reported. IMHO, I think advice we post here should be tempered with truth as we know it to be at that time.

I was wondering if anyone has used a car inspection service? I see a few but they all have horrible reviews. The Shelby GT I am looking at is across the country and unfortunately I do not have the time to go and see the car. I do trust the seller and have spoken to him many times. It was part of his Shelby collection and only has 15k miles on it. It is listed on a reputable website and has all the matching numbers and the pictures look excellent. Any advice? Also, can anyone vouch for a good shipping company?

Also the Carfax is clean and everything matches according to Steve.

Thanks,

Forrest

Forrest, there are several people on the site, myself included, that have gone to "check out" a car for a fellow member. I'm sure there is someone that lives close by the car you're looking at that will swing by and give you an opinion.

Good luck!

Forrest, there are several people on the site, myself included, that have gone to "check out" a car for a fellow member. I'm sure there is someone that lives close by the car you're looking at that will swing by and give you an opinion.

Good luck!

I had never thought of that. If anyone is near Brookfield Connecticut and would be willing to I would appreciate it. Otherwise I trust the seller a lot with everything so I will probably just get the car.

Thanks,

Forrest

Here's the only "clone" i really remember, it's a super nice looking ride IMO.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/40547-my-shelby-gt-tribute-car/

Maybe it's not an "actual" clone due to the awesome color choice, but he captured the spirit of the SGT for sure.

I recall several instances of craigslist ads being shared over the years with tribute/clone SGT's, but honestly don't recall how correct any of them were.

I think there was more GT500 cloning going on than anything simply because most people had no clue what a SGT was.

Correct, as I'm sure Steve can confirm, there have been many examples of late model Shelby cloning. I've seen two GT-H's myself that the owner truly believed he had a real Shelby. There have been many wrecked Shelby GT's which have had parts transferred over to a standard Mustang GT and made to look identical to an actual Shelby GT with the plates and all. Now in this case, it sounds like Forrest has found a nice car, but it is always a good idea to validate the VIN with Shelby to at least verify it matches to the Shelby records. Good luck with your hunt Forrest.

Thank you, Jason, for providing an example of a "clone" issue. As you say, it's not clearly a fraud, or an attempt to deceive a buyer, but someone with admiration taking it a step too far. I will add this 411 to my mental library for reference should the topic come up again. Agreed, the first clue is the color, and there are more. Surely, this examination is better than what I found.

In that post, the "offender" is rather proud of his achievement, and cites his success as possible because an SGT owner sold him a hood, because that person was cloning a GT500. So, there is more cloning afoot, eh? And, in a backward way, we helped in that achievement. It reminds me of another recent thread here, about SGT badges. Once thought of as hard to find, and pricey at that, even I joined in to try to get a set of spares for my personal use. The fender badges were once highly prized and very rare, and there were reports of theft. Even today, I check mine as I return to my car after a long afternoon of parked in public. Nonetheless, I asked for a citation, and I have one.

Gents, I ask y'all to think about what you accomplish here. A new TS member, asking for advice on an anticipated purchase. His early queries seem a little weak, but they improve quickly. "Tell us what you want to know, well give you an answer" is how it works, but the man doesn't know what to ask. Early on, cautions of being fooled and defrauded set a tone of caution, and that's okay too. But no one explains WHAT to look for, WHAT to ask the buyer he is dealing with. This advice is otherwise weak and should be tuned-up. Explain what common mistakes are made when cloning to defraud. Without that, the cloning goes undetected. Perhaps I'm not that sharp of an SGT owner, but I am a professional detective.

I know, save your typing fingers. There is the "don't tell the cloners our secrets" voice out here somewhere. Be mindful that every crime has an M. O., and without discussion of that no one gets caught. If you feel the this way, beware that the criminal cloners will be successful and we will add another victim to the score. JMHO.

Forest... Brookfield, Conn. isn't down the road from me, but it is my neck of the woods compared to yours. If no one else is closer, and you want a drive-by, I will do it. Drop me a line and we will work it out. My email is in my profile, use "Shelby" in the subject line to avoid my spam filters. If not, good luck with your purchase, keep us posted?

Y'all be safe.

To get away with some of the confusion I am not looking at the same Shelby GT from the beginning of this post. I have found one with 15k miles on it and it looks brand new. Thanks everyone.

Forrest

Archived