TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel Fitment 19" Niche Targas

Hey guys! I'm officially hooked into the anthracite Niche Targas in 19", and planning to put Conti DWS all around. I'm hoping to get a square setup with 19x9.5 +35 all around. Recommended tire size (americanmuscle.com) is 275/40-R19, and a few people mention in the website that they have done the square setup with no rubbing whatsoever. However, I haven't been a blue to find a single website that say this wheel will fit the front of my stang.

I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with these kind of wheels or size? I'm trying to stay away from the staggered setup, since this is my daily driver and I think it'll be nice to have wider tires up front. Thanks in advance for any input!

2007 Shelby Gt CSM No. 07SGT4870

post-40840-0-78559900-1427755197_thumb.jpg

Actually, you might like a 255/275 staggered setup on a daily driver. Less rolling resistance (so the car coasts better), and less tendency to pull left and right on rough pavement... just a thought.

Jer

You are one in one dozen who prefer the "square" approach for a street setup today. This is more common on a dedicated race car, no wonder the advice/guidance is less helpful to you. Not finding any negative remarks means little to you. Finding "tested-no conflict" is what you seek.

Most owners look for the best street combo first, then some racing appeal for the occasional lap (s) around a track. I remember the years before the "staggered" sizing found popularity. Those were hard days, most often you made a deal with another owner who wanted the same product, and you bought two sets in different sizes, and traded. Today, "staggered" is more common. Who says the customer's opinion doesn't count?

Do you have anymore specs on the wheel? Offset or back space? These are important to guess-timate fitment. Also factors in the front will be big brake kits and suspension mods. Some companies figure on the clearance of a 255/ front tire, and use that space for fatter spring/strut assemblies. The offset/back space figures in brake kit fitment, and it counts in the rear too. If you have any plans for upgrades in the future, your 275/ selection may have to be reconsidered at that time.

As Jer said, the wider tire will report more conflict with the road, called "torque steer", when the tire wants to follow (or disagree with) the ruts ground into the road by heavy use. I can add that the wider tire will also have a greater tendency to hydroplane in standing water usually found in those ruts. If the water cannot escape, the tire will float. The nose is the heavier section of the car, applying (or relying upon) more downward force. You can learn to drive around this, but it is quite a challenge. Does anyone else drive the car?

I would find more comfort in the 255/front, 275/rear, as dictated by wheel width. Maybe split the difference and go with 265/? Of course, much depends on what sizes are available in 19". In the end, sometimes being "square" can be cool, as long as you have done your homework.

Carry on gents, be safe.

The Saleen Parnelli Jones Edtion nineteen-inch front wheels are nine inches wide and have a +30mm offset. You might want to poke around and see how much difference that five millimeters and half-inch will make. With 275-35 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires they rubbed very, very slightly on a 2006 Mustang that came with 17-inch wheels. They were all clear on a 2009 GT with GT500 brakes, and all clear on a 2013 GT with Brembo package.

At present I have 275-35 Pilot Super Sports on the front, 9-inchers and 285-35s on the 10-inch rears, with no remarkable tramlining effects.

The photo is with 275-35 both front and rear:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3006/3103705530_ef26dc8f1a_o.jpg

You are one in one dozen who prefer the "square" approach for a street setup today. This is more common on a dedicated race car, no wonder the advice/guidance is less helpful to you. Not finding any negative remarks means little to you. Finding "tested-no conflict" is what you seek.

Most owners look for the best street combo first, then some racing appeal for the occasional lap (s) around a track. I remember the years before the "staggered" sizing found popularity. Those were hard days, most often you made a deal with another owner who wanted the same product, and you bought two sets in different sizes, and traded. Today, "staggered" is more common. Who says the customer's opinion doesn't count?

Do you have anymore specs on the wheel? Offset or back space? These are important to guess-timate fitment. Also factors in the front will be big brake kits and suspension mods. Some companies figure on the clearance of a 255/ front tire, and use that space for fatter spring/strut assemblies. The offset/back space figures in brake kit fitment, and it counts in the rear too. If you have any plans for upgrades in the future, your 275/ selection may have to be reconsidered at that time.

As Jer said, the wider tire will report more conflict with the road, called "torque steer", when the tire wants to follow (or disagree with) the ruts ground into the road by heavy use. I can add that the wider tire will also have a greater tendency to hydroplane in standing water usually found in those ruts. If the water cannot escape, the tire will float. The nose is the heavier section of the car, applying (or relying upon) more downward force. You can learn to drive around this, but it is quite a challenge. Does anyone else drive the car?

I would find more comfort in the 255/front, 275/rear, as dictated by wheel width. Maybe split the difference and go with 265/? Of course, much depends on what sizes are available in 19". In the end, sometimes being "square" can be cool, as long as you have done your homework.

Carry on gents, be safe.

Really - ??? A square set up is more practical because you can rotate your wheels/tires and get longer tread life. It also aids in addressing the governmental requirement of "built in design for understeer". As far as you use of the term "torque steer" - you are wrong in your usage. True, a wider tire will a greater tendency to hydroplane but a lot of that has to do with tread design as it does as far as tramlining goes. Make sure that the load index on your selected tire meets or exceeds the manufacturers minimum requirement. JMO

mach1 - I'd suggest the Conti DW over the DWS in a 275/35-19 or if you can swing it - Michelin PS2. JMO

The wheels have a +35 offset, and it is stated on different websites that they do clear bigger brakes, except for those of 2014 shelby gt500. Nobody else drives the car, my wife just doesn't like to drive stick. :P Also, I live in SoCal, so if doesn't rain too often.

How is the DW version better than the DWS? I have noticed that they are about the same price. I would think the DWS will be better as you are kind of getting that "extra" feature.

One of the main reasons I wanted to get the same tire size, is mainly because of tire life. Have any of you that are running different size notice a huge difference in wear on either front or rear?

Thanks for your help guys!

Niche should offer those in a 20x10 +40mm offset setup if you're willing to go to a 20" and that will allow you to run a 285/30-20 or 285/35-20 on all 4 corners. I run a 20x10 +48mm wheel with 285's and have about 3mm clearance. The Niche +40mm would give you another 8mm clearance for 11mm total to the front shock absorber, and still plenty of clearance for the front fenders.

The wheels have a +35 offset, and it is stated on different websites that they do clear bigger brakes, except for those of 2014 shelby gt500. Nobody else drives the car, my wife just doesn't like to drive stick. :P Also, I live in SoCal, so if doesn't rain too often.

How is the DW version better than the DWS? I have noticed that they are about the same price. I would think the DWS will be better as you are kind of getting that "extra" feature.

One of the main reasons I wanted to get the same tire size, is mainly because of tire life. Have any of you that are running different size notice a huge difference in wear on either front or rear?

Ghanks for your help guys!

Look at the tread wear rating between the 2. The DW is a softer compound and has a better ride quality/less noise than the DWS. It also means less tire life but that can be addressed by properly maintaining and rotating the tires. JMO

Archived